How confident are you in the Bills plan for 2023?

JohnNord

Some say well Dorsey might get better. If you've got one of 32 jobs in the world in an ultra competitive endeavour you had better be good already. Only then is it reasonable to think that you might even get better. When you've been as bad as Dorsey has I don't want to wait another two or three years for confirmation of that fact.

14 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

He told you there would be no big ticket FA signings at the end of the season presser last year, right? Then he gave Von Miller a 6 year $120 million contract. He's not going to tell you his plan.

Big contracts kick in this coming season.  I don’t think he’s lying 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Governor said:

They’re going to lose most of their new fans ($)

Who would bother following this team next year if it wasn’t completely different?

I’ll be here. I’m always here. I’m not a bandwagon fan, I’ve been at this from nearly the beginning. While it’s far from perfect and we have things to fix, it’s much better than usual.

Very few teams out there wouldn’t want to trade places with us. 

5 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It’s everyone.  Coaching.  Players.  Everyone 

The fans weren’t good enough either (not loud enough). Or our radio guys. No instant shade in Miami? Equipment guys have to go. The team meteorologist let us down too! Fire everybody but the trainers and doctors. I like them! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

After the end of the year pressers of Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane, I can’t say that I feel great about this team next season.  

There doesn’t appear to be any major changes on the coaching staff.  I’m ok with Frazier but have a lot of concern about whether Dorsey is actually going to better like everyone assumes.  It’s not a given that a first year OC gets better from year 1 to year 2.  

The other issue is the roster.  It’s basically a mulligan.  The problem is the cap situation.  There’s a lot of free agents who will be walking out the door and not a lot of money to replace them.  

What is Beane’s plan?

“"We gotta hit on draft picks. We gotta find low-cost free agents. It's on me and my scouting staff to make the right moves."

This is a concern because neither is something they have done well.  

So with limited draft capital less cap space and many holes what does this mean?  The Bills are doubling down on the coaches and talent who underperformed this year.  

- A number of role player or under performing players need to take a step forward this season (Spencer Brown, Gabe Davis, Ed Oliver, AJ, Basham, Elam, Benford.

- This years rookie class can’t afford not to contribute.

- Multiple  “bargain” free agents are going to need to have a similar impact to DaQuan Jones 

- Ken Dorsey is going to show he can evolve and change the offense, which is something we didn’t see much of in 2022.  

The wildcard here is Josh Allen.  He helped cover up for a lot of deficiencies and he certainly can better.  It sounds like the plan is to get him better weapon and protection but again… with limited options.  

Maybe I’ll change my mind over the next few weeks definitely change, but it just seems like the plan for next season is to do what this this team hasn’t done over the past 4 years. 

He said he doesn’t know what moves he can make till he knows what the cap will be.

I would not renew Frazier myself.

48 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

What is this plan you speak of that they've somehow put together 48 hours after a season ending loss?

this OP seems Very premature. We have so little date. Just conjecture

ack.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Big contracts kick in this coming season.  I don’t think he’s lying 

And there's alot of money that can be moved around. They can do that for years. On top of that the salary cap is going to start moving upwards in chunks in the next couple of years. Would already be higher if not for the covid years.

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Of course… I’m basing this on what was said at the press conference and the moves that have been made historically.  I don’t have a lot of confidence 

discussions are swirling in regards to what to do, who to keep who stays..Those are the decisions and plans I am VERY interested in. And those decisions should clearly predate the 2023 NFL Draft as far as the coordinators go. . 2 days after this loss IMO is too soon to decide? Meh I dunno

we shall see and be able to make a better review moving forward

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’ll wait to see what Beane actually does. 

Last year his presser and actions were a complete 180.  

Can’t really say how I feel right now.  

This is exactly where I'm at. Beane has been a straight shooter at times and he's been a bser. There's no info to go off of yet, as he said little in his press conference and we have no idea if what he said is what he's really thinking.

This club gives you very little info unless they want it out there. If he's thinking about firing Frazier or picking up a big FA signing, he isn't going to come out and tell everyone first. We'll find out like always, after the fact.

Like Ian Rapoport said after the Von FA signing...Buffalo is always the mystery team. I never find out it's them until it's over.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

I would be more confident if we had more cap space but overall I'm not freaking out.

We are still an attractive option for free agents and think we can get a couple of steals in FA maybe low tier 2ish 

If there was ever a year where we need to hit on all picks it's this one.

We need a WR in round 1. I know we need OL and can use rounds 2-4 for that but we need more weapons for Josh and we needs more than us having Diggs as our only consistent WR

• Like (+1) 1

I have no confidence  They will trot out the same team more or less running the same defense.  They will also trout out the offense with no identity other than Josh go out and save us.  Beane will not all of a sudden start to hit on picks and find immediate difference makers  They wont fix the O line and learn to run the fb  Its amazing when we have a limited/marginal qb we could run even though teams knew the run was coming  Now we have a stud at qb face light boxes and cant run worth a damn  Beane has signed endless FA's and spent ton of draft capital on the D line and it still sucks  Might suck even more  On top of that we have one of the worst in game coaches I have seen . 

I remember the Bills were in 7-9 purgatory for a decade  Never sucking enough to draft a a franchise qb  Now we might be playoffs and out and wasting Josh  He isnt going to be here forever and for certain cant keep being defacto chain mover with his legs

14 hours ago, JohnNord said:

After the end of the year pressers of Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane, I can’t say that I feel great about this team next season.  

There doesn’t appear to be any major changes on the coaching staff.  I’m ok with Frazier but have a lot of concern about whether Dorsey is actually going to better like everyone assumes.  It’s not a given that a first year OC gets better from year 1 to year 2.  

The other issue is the roster.  It’s basically a mulligan.  The problem is the cap situation.  There’s a lot of free agents who will be walking out the door and not a lot of money to replace them.  

What is Beane’s plan?

“"We gotta hit on draft picks. We gotta find low-cost free agents. It's on me and my scouting staff to make the right moves."

This is a concern because neither is something they have done well.  

So with limited draft capital less cap space and many holes what does this mean?  The Bills are doubling down on the coaches and talent who underperformed this year.  

- A number of role player or under performing players need to take a step forward this season (Spencer Brown, Gabe Davis, Ed Oliver, AJ, Basham, Elam, Benford.

- This years rookie class can’t afford not to contribute.

- Multiple  “bargain” free agents are going to need to have a similar impact to DaQuan Jones 

- Ken Dorsey is going to show he can evolve and change the offense, which is something we didn’t see much of in 2022.  

The wildcard here is Josh Allen.  He helped cover up for a lot of deficiencies and he certainly can better.  It sounds like the plan is to get him better weapon and protection but again… with limited options.  

Maybe I’ll change my mind over the next few weeks definitely change, but it just seems like the plan for next season is to do what this this team hasn’t done over the past 4 years. 

The Bills are 51 - 22 over the past 4 years.  That is ~12 wins ~5 losses each year on average.   Yeah everyone thinks winning the SB is the measure of success blah blah blah, but that kind of record is also a strong measure of success.    After 20 years of suck, I am still enjoying this ride. 

• Agree 1

- Resign EDMOUNDS 

-  Fix the Trenches (DRAFT & VETS) more Beefier and aggressive LINEMAN both OFENSE & DEFENSIVE

- Add two to 3 Explosive great route running good at catching the BALL Wideouts.

- Add Taller and Ranghier safties

- Be more Aggressive on Defense.

- Run the Ball (without JA17) more to compliment the Pass game