Beane End of Year Presser

thenorthremembers

2 hours ago, Success said:

I really wonder about our talent.  Is it that we don't draft well - or don't develop & utilize our players well?

Zach Moss actually ran pretty well after he went to Indy.  There are also guys like Teller & Hodgins.

And I can't help but think of how Cincy's line performed, with 3 starters out, and 1 playing hurt.  They schemed better, and got the most out of those players.

Sometimes, it seems like we're getting the minimum out of the talent we have.

We're getting the bare minimum from the coaches.  Kromer and Washington didn't do squat this year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Good point about the scheme.  It would be useful to know whether other teams have reached / won the Superbowl with a passive scheme.  Note: this is a general question for the forum. If you know the answer please enlighten us.

Frazier's scheme came to the forefront decades ago. And like fashion, no doubt there may come a time when various trends make what is retro contemporary again. The question is has it proven effective in the post-season in the game as exemplified today? I can't think of one. Look at the four coaches and teams in the conference finals this year. They are all teams with an offensive coach at the top. Let us hypothetically surmise the Bills put the majority of resources into building up the offense. You do what you can to seriously upgrade the oline, you add an outside wr with size and speed that can reliably catch the ball, you add a solid blocking te #2. You do all that, even if it means sacrificing some skill on D and letting a few fellas walk because you can't pay for everything with a cap and Allen's big contract numbers hitting the books. Then you try to upgrade the overall gameplanning on offense so that your run game and passing game compliment one another and you actually make use of pass catching rbs like Hines and Cook with YAC potential.  All that would be in line with what is working right now in the NFL. 

The corrolary to a dangerous team on offense with a top level qb is you can afford to play an attacking D. If you give up a few big scores, you have the fire power to strike back. The plus side of a non-passive defense is you are less likely to get gutted with long drives while the bend-don't break approach waits for the extended drive to break down. There won't be a whole game of sustained drives that demoralize and keep the ball away from your high-powered offense. And on both sides of the ball, you put pressure on the opposing team. That's the rough strategy behind it and I believe it makes some sense. Regardless, I think Frazier's tactics are deceptive in that they produce generally good numbers and regular season results, but have failed more often than not in the playoffs. Aside from that, they don't blend well with the optimum approach for what would make best use of Allen's talents and the team's overall success. Maybe they keep him and prove all this wrong or that their strategy can be an outlier to how the game is played to success in its current best practice (that is always a fluid situation.) I am skeptical on that, however.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You know he defends Dorsey. Yes Dorsey is a first year OC. But the Buffalo Bills have done everything to put themselves into win now mode but you have a 1st year OC puts you behind the curve from the jump. Kind of ass backwards. All the coaches gotta go. Beane is too close to McDermott. He might have to go as well

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

You know he defends Dorsey. Yes Dorsey is a first year OC. But the Buffalo Bills have done everything to put themselves into win now mode but you have a 1st year OC puts you behind the curve from the jump. Kind of ass backwards. All the coaches gotta go. Beane is too close to McDermott. He might have to go as well

I’m not into burning the house down…yet….but the fact that Frazier still has a job today is getting me much closer to it! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

On 1/24/2023 at 10:59 PM, pigpen65 said:

Is there no way out of the Miller contact then?

On 1/25/2023 at 12:36 AM, Scott7975 said:

Not realistically until 2025

2025 is realistic IF his contract isn't restructured which would push too much guaranteed money into 2025 and beyond.

Just watch during the spring when many on this board will say "restructure Miller" not knowing what that means.

At Miller's age and coming back from his injury, restructuring him is a huge gamble that Beane just can't take and would show me

he is desperate.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Ty Dunne has a valid point there

Also, my perennial plaint Boogie Basham over Creed Humphrey in 2021

As time went on it was inevitable that people would start to see the shyster,  self-preserving side of Beane.

I am sure Duke Tobin would point out that Beane has made liberal and careless use of cap space to build the Bills and not gotten to a SB yet.

I do think Beane is intelligent enough to eventually earn the reputation he was given much too soon..........and I agree with him that he is a better GM than when he started(he was pretty lousy in 2017 and UFA 2018).

In general.........people should take his end of season PC's for what they are worth.........every year he says not too expect too much and then if he does something he looks like a hero.    He's been lucky that Terry and Kim have been so willing to let him spend future money to cover up a lot of dubious decisions and a lack of value finds during his regime.   Now it's time for his accrued experience(much of it about what NOT to do)........ to start paying dividends and find the team some value in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Frazier's scheme came to the forefront decades ago. And like fashion, no doubt there may come a time when various trends make what is retro contemporary again. The question is has it proven effective in the post-season in the game as exemplified today? I can't think of one. Look at the four coaches and teams in the conference finals this year. They are all teams with an offensive coach at the top. Let us hypothetically surmise the Bills put the majority of resources into building up the offense. You do what you can to seriously upgrade the oline, you add an outside wr with size and speed that can reliably catch the ball, you add a solid blocking te #2. You do all that, even if it means sacrificing some skill on D and letting a few fellas walk because you can't pay for everything with a cap and Allen's big contract numbers hitting the books. Then you try to upgrade the overall gameplanning on offense so that your run game and passing game compliment one another and you actually make use of pass catching rbs like Hines and Cook with YAC potential.  All that would be in line with what is working right now in the NFL. 

The corrolary to a dangerous team on offense with a top level qb is you can afford to play an attacking D. If you give up a few big scores, you have the fire power to strike back. The plus side of a non-passive defense is you are less likely to get gutted with long drives while the bend-don't break approach waits for the extended drive to break down. There won't be a whole game of sustained drives that demoralize and keep the ball away from your high-powered offense. And on both sides of the ball, you put pressure on the opposing team. That's the rough strategy behind it and I believe it makes some sense. Regardless, I think Frazier's tactics are deceptive in that they produce generally good numbers and regular season results, but have failed more often than not in the playoffs. Aside from that, they don't blend well with the optimum approach for what would make best use of Allen's talents and the team's overall success. Maybe they keep him and prove all this wrong or that their strategy can be an outlier to how the game is played to success in its current best practice (that is always a fluid situation.) I am skeptical on that, however.

Let's not forget this playoff game either: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202101090buf.htm.

472 yards given up, no turnovers, no sacks (against a statue), 27 first downs surrendered, and 6.2 yards per play. No team in NFL history with at least 450 yards and 0 turnovers had lost a playoff game before: https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/10/indianapolis-colts-buffalo-bills-history-made-wild-card-playoffs/

It is retrospectively shocking that the Bills won that game. It was all Josh Allen plus Reich going for it at least once when he should have kicked a FG.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 4

On 1/25/2023 at 9:47 PM, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Yes a runner up to the 1st team, I never said that wasn't the case. But there's a 2nd team also. They are still All-Pros, they're just not 1st team All-Pros. 

While I did not provide that link, I did look at it. Earlier you referred to the 2nd team All-Pros as "alternates", it states that there are no alternates in the All-Pro selection process. Therefore they're All-Pros. 

But hey, be the only person to think that way. You and your little book.😂😂

It's not my little book, it's the official NFL Records. 

Admit it, you think the earth is flat and Damar is a clone.

Some people are helpless. No matter if you or official records in front of them and everything.  Pretty funny though, pounding your chest over a runner up the league doesn't even recognize. 

I wonder if you consider the Bills 4x super bowl Champs because they were runner ups. 

On 1/25/2023 at 9:32 PM, RocCityRoller said:

Dude. You are in the embarrassing place of doubling down on stupid. Even by simple logic.

1/2 x 2 = 1. it's really that simple, and you can't seem to grasp it.

Second team All Pro is an honor equal to or greater than the 'Pro Bowl'. I will show you why.

Being named to the 'Pro Bowl' seems to be a thing for you.

Most folks realize that with open voting the 'Pro Bowl' has become a joke ruled by 14 year olds who play Madden.

The All-Pro teams are voted on by sports writers who cover all the teams.

Believe it or not, not every 14 yr old, and not every coach, or player is watching every NFL game.

The NFL writers are supposed to.

So that may not be strong enough logic for you.

14 year olds who think 'the Raiders rule' get the same vote as NFL journalists do for the 'Pro Bowl'

Maybe that is cool for you, but it is the action that leads to Josh Allen not being on the Pro Bowl team last year.

I digress. That is the weak part of the argument. Let's look at this logically.

The 1st team All-Pro is 11 guys on each side of the ball who are the best of their craft. That is it.

One team of 11-12 players on offense

One team of 11-12 players on defense, and a few ST players.

There may be an exception to add a slot WR or Nickel CB

@25 total players

This team is decided by people who watch and write about the whole league.

The Pro Bowl requires 2 teams to play each other.

There are two teams required to play in the Pro Bowl.

That almost seems like double the players are named to the Pro Bowl as the 1st team All Pro team!?!?

That means double of each position to get into the pro Bowl.

1st team All-Pro QB = 1 QB

1st team Pro-Bowl QB = 2 QB, both teams need a QB,

if a 1st team Pro Bowl QB is in the playoffs or is injured at the time a 3rd or 4th QB is named

as decided by 14 year olds (alternates)

1st team All Pro team doesn't care about the playoffs or injuries, there are no alternates

1st team All-Pro LT = 1 LT, you are the best.

1st team Pro Bowl LT = 2 LT

if the 1st team Pro Bowl LT is in the playoffs or is injured at the time a 3rd or 4th LT is named.

as decided by 14 year olds (alternate LT)

1st team All Pro team doesn't care about the playoffs or injuries, there are no alternates

1st team All Pro WR = 2 WR

1st team Pro Bowl = 4 WR

It's like it is double?!?

If you happen to be a WR in the playoffs.....

It's almost like the 1st team All Pro team is half the size of the Pro Bowl team, before alternates!

Who knew?!?! Such an epiphany!

It's almost like the second All-Pro team was like the second Pro-Bowl team starters, but was named something different?!?!

DUHHHH

All Pro > Pro Bowl by a mile

2nd team All pro >= Pro Bowl

DUHHH

it’s incredibly rare, outside of the day announced, that I see any demarcation of pro bowl starters, backups, and frankly once guys start pulling, even alternates bumped up. 

any given year there’s simply about 8-10 pro bowl quarterbacks it seems. As an example. 

23 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

It's not my little book, it's the official NFL Records. 

Admit it, you think the earth is flat and Damar is a clone.

Some people are helpless. No matter if you or official records in front of them and everything.  Pretty funny though, pounding your chest over a runner up the league doesn't even recognize. 

I wonder if you consider the Bills 4x super bowl Champs because they were runner ups. 

Hey you returned!!! Yet after some time away you are still the only one who thinks this. You and no one else. So keep thinking this way, but no one who plays, coaches, writes, broadcasts or is a fan of the game believes what you believe. But good for you though, you do you.😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.