Beane End of Year Presser

thenorthremembers

what a bunch of excuses  KC's been drafting end of the round for years  You have to actually hit on players once in a while  Drafting a guy and he's finally good when his contract up doesnt count either  Our drafts have been subpar to crap He hit on Allen and he and McDermott think thats job security for the next decade  He's basically setting us up to be ready for him to keep/overpay for the mediocrities they drafted

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Process said:

When the bills lost to the chiefs last year we all felt like we were the best team in the league, and should have won the Superbowl if not for an epic coaching blunder.

Beane nailed the year end press conference and addressed some very specific areas where the team needed to improve.

Everything about the way this season ended is the complete opposite.

It sounds like Beanes plan is to run it back and hope we get in a groove at the right time.

The salary cap and contracts we have dictate this. In retrospect, last year we perhaps did not take a critical enough look. 

While I'm not quite there yet, the - is McD a Shottenheimer picture? is starting to be painted. Looking at trends, in the playoffs and in the must win games, we become very, very, conservative. The Bengals game makes me hesitant to say we weren't aggressive enough on the 4th downs, in the end we would have been blown out sooner. Let's be honest, we were very unlikely to make those plays, moving the ball was a struggle the entire game. I understand conservatism at that point and hope the d could force a turnover.

When there are times to be agressive on defense, we tend to lay back and keep it all in front of us. The scheme like it or not is Sean's, not Frazier's. Changing the DC out won't force a scheme change unless that is what McD wants. I hoped that his work under Johnson in Philly, would have ingrained an aggressive nature to be leaned upon at times, but it certainly wasn't in the playoffs. With someone who focuses on every detail, McD certainly had to sign off and agree on the gameplans throughout the week. The picture being painted does start to look like one who is statistically strong in the regular season, but doesn't fully grasp playoff football and how to get a team over the top. Look at the teams remaining this year and last year,  they are agressive and dictate. 

The players Beane has been drafting is to fit the profile of our scheme and what Sean wants in a player. While a strong and tightly knit HC and GM relationship is important, the GM has the responsibility to save the coach from himself. This, at a first glance, feels like a GM who hasn't been looking ahead and working with the HC to answer tougher questions last offseason to get ahead of this. Where we are with the cap now. Forces us to run this back for a year or 2 until you can get out of contracts. How do we search for the RBs that we have to have and they are not used? The contingency plan at WR was Brown and Beasley, this wasn't a concern at the trade deadline or did they already know this flaw could not be fixed? 

I'm also very on edge about OC, while Dorsey may turnout to be good, do we have time to allow him to grow and learn on the job more? Can that be afforded? What resources does the team have to help him grow? Where does this fit into what we have been fed with the, we have a program and we develop and promote from within?

Beane is usually very forthcoming, not so much today imo...

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Brings me to this point: 

- Philosophy on drafting WRs later in the draft.  "We got Stef Diggs in the 1st Round."   No philosophy, if Jamar Chase was there we'd take him in a minute.

You passed on DK Metcalf when this team desperately needed a receiver.  

for cody ford!!!!!

Beane with a shot fired...

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

The salary cap and contracts we have dictate this. In retrospect, last year we perhaps did not take a critical enough look. 

While I'm not quite there yet, the - is McD a Shottenheimer picture? is starting to be painted. Looking at trends, in the playoffs and in the must win games, we become very, very, conservative. The Bengals game makes me hesitant to say we weren't aggressive enough on the 4th downs, in the end we would have been blown out sooner. Let's be honest, we were very unlikely to make those plays, moving the ball was a struggle the entire game. I understand conservatism at that point and hope the d could force a turnover.

When there are times to be agressive on defense, we tend to lay back and keep it all in front of us. The scheme like it or not is Sean's, not Frazier's. Changing the DC out won't force a scheme change unless that is what McD wants. I hoped that his work under Johnson in Philly, would have ingrained an aggressive nature to be leaned upon at times, but it certainly wasn't in the playoffs. With someone who focuses on every detail, McD certainly had to sign off and agree on the gameplans throughout the week. The picture being painted does start to look like one who is statistically strong in the regular season, but doesn't fully grasp playoff football and how to get a team over the top. Look at the teams remaining this year and last year,  they are agressive and dictate. 

The players Beane has been drafting is to fit the profile of our scheme and what Sean wants in a player. While a strong and tightly knit HC and GM relationship is important, the GM has the responsibility to save the coach from himself. This, at a first glance, feels like a GM who hasn't been looking ahead and working with the HC to answer tougher questions last offseason to get ahead of this. Where we are with the cap now. Forces us to run this back for a year or 2 until you can get out of contracts. How do we search for the RBs that we have to have and they are not used? The contingency plan at WR was Brown and Beasley, this wasn't a concern at the trade deadline or did they already know this flaw could not be fixed? 

I'm also very on edge about OC, while Dorsey may turnout to be good, do we have time to allow him to grow and learn on the job more? Can that be afforded? What resources does the team have to help him grow? Where does this fit into what we have been fed with the, we have a program and we develop and promote from within?

Beane is usually very forthcoming, not so much today imo...

So there is no time to let Dorsey learn but there is time to go backwards due to scheme changes, Allen learning a new system and the potential that the new OC might not be as good or use the personnel properly?

I don't think some of you know what you are asking for.

• Disagree 1

48 minutes ago, Mango said:

Interesting that Beane did a bit of talking about how “lucky” Cincinnati was to get good by being bad and rookie contacts.

…but didn’t mention KC with a QB on his second contract. They also have $15M in space for 2023 and $106M for 2024. 

So when he says Cincinnatti got lucky, what he really means is “please don’t pay attention to our peers” 

EDIT: For reference, the Bills are estimated at -$5M and $19M the next two years. Unless KC starts making some major personnel blunders, we’re likely losing a lot of ground. 

This is another reason why we have to root against KC. They’re primed to be a juggernaut, another NE Patriots 2000s because they have lots of money and lots of draft picks from the Tyreek Hill trade. 

2 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

I know many fans are still upset about the loss to the Bengals, but we’re you really surprised by Beane’s press conference? The reality is the Bills are a top tier team in the AFC and NFL. You don’t go blowing that up. Yes, the expectation is Dorsey will continue to grow and be a better OC in year 2 than year one. It’s obvious they know the interior of the OL needs address and I fully expect them to do that. They also know they need some speed and more talent at WR. 

Defensively, having a fully healthy Tre back coupled with Elam in his second year they are solid at CB. Hyde will return at Safety and I do expect them to lock up Edmunds.  A healthy Von Miller, Ed O, Jordan P, Groot and Daquan Jones is solid. We have enough pieces of D to be a solid top 10 D.

Add some new pieces from the draft, get some solid FA’s, restructure a few contracts and do you really believe the Bills won’t be in the thick of it next year? Some of you are acting like the gap is huge.

The Bills need to stay healthy, add weapons for Josh, improve the OL, reduce the maddening self inflicted mistakes, see growth and evolution from Dorsey and I love our chances.

LETS GO BUFFALO!

Without Josh Allen we would be the bottom feeders of the AFCE right now.  Thats on the GM and coaching 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Brings me to this point: 

- Philosophy on drafting WRs later in the draft.  "We got Stef Diggs in the 1st Round."   No philosophy, if Jamar Chase was there we'd take him in a minute.

You passed on DK Metcalf when this team desperately needed a receiver.  

They didn’t have Metcalf or AJ Brown rated over Cody Ford. That’s concerning. The next year, they felt they couldn’t get high enough for one of the top three receivers so they traded for Diggs. Meanwhile the 4th receiver taken, Justin Jefferson, is easily the best of the class. They didn’t evaluate him as such. Their last first round grade from this past draft was Elam meanwhile George Pickens has a rookie year that suggests he’d go in the top 15 if the league were to have a redraft. This with Pickett and Trubisky throwing to him.

It would’ve been okay for Beane to admit they have to get better at evaluating talent. He says they would’ve ran to the podium to draft Jamarr Chase, but they didn’t run to the podium for any of those other top receivers. They might’ve screwed up the Chase evaluation too, I can’t trust that they wouldn’t have. 

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

IMO I think it’s crazy to bring in another OC after one season. You want to start all over with another OC with learning another system. For having a weak OL and underperforming WR’s, they stilled delivered. Hell you could argue they should of went undefeated in the regular season. I don’t think Dorsey is even up for debate. Frazier is a different story but if they do who are you replacing him with?

I'd think they go internal and elevate Butler.

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Beane with a shot fired...

So there is no time to let Dorsey learn but there is time to go backwards due to scheme changes, Allen learning a new system and the potential that the new OC might not be as good or use the personnel properly?

I don't think some of you know what you are asking for.

2 things, chase and diggs are the same. Higgins was taken 33. We could have and passed on WRs in late rd 1, which is close to top of rd2 talent.

Perhaps you don't understand development and training, Daboll and Dorsey have overlapped with the Bills, part of being a leader is developing those under you and ensuring that as people leave, you can hit the ground running. Especially with Daboll interviewing what 2 seasons before he finally left, there needed to be more done to grow Dorsey during that time. How can I make this statement, what is our scheme on offense? How did any creative plays daboll have not get called? How were new ones not developed?

A new OC, does not necessitate a scheme change depending on who you hire. The skillset you are looking for is someone who can design plays to the strengths of your team, understands how to build off of formations and add new wrinkles and understands gameflow. Dorsey struggled with this all season long, what other resources does this team have to help better develop him? More time with Mike Shula? It's ok to be critical. Are you willing to go another season of Josh and DIggs (at age 30) under an OC who had 66% of his plays defended against in the most important home playoff game in 30 years? I'm critical of this....

FWIW, I don't think this is likely at all, but I do think Reich would do wonders for this team offensively...

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Governor said:

Beane would’ve picked a safety instead of Chase so it doesn’t matter. 

At the request of Sean and the vision he has for the team. It's perfectly fine to be critical of the team...

14 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

This is another reason why we have to root against KC. They’re primed to be a juggernaut, another NE Patriots 2000s because they have lots of money and lots of draft picks from the Tyreek Hill trade. 

This was a smart pivot for them, to free up cap space in future years and gain some picks to flexibly rebuild your roster with current trends in the league. Brilliant actually, but easy to be ballsy when you already have 1 SB. We are stuck for at least 1 more year to run it back. You aren't getting that haul for a 32 year old Poyer or Edmunds. Oliver, while I liked the pick at the time, is not worth the second contract amd won't get us picks for a trade. We are kind of stuck for a bit here...

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Alright, let's see what happens the rest of the off season.

Beane says one thing then does something different. We've seen it before.

Will he just run everything back? Maybe, maybe not. Just have to wait and see.

We have 24 FA.  There will likely be a lot of new faces on this team next season.  Dont expect any big names.  The only FA's that are going to take peanuts contracts are also JAGS just like we have.  He needs to nail the drafts.  There is no cap space.  We are an est 15 mil over the cap and have 24 people to sign just to get a full 53 man roster.  They arent going to restructure the entire team to sign some big name.

4 hours ago, Process said:

Omg the excuses for Spencer Brown 🤣 

So far the press conference has been 100% excuses and zero accountability. 

Beane thinks the main reason we didn't win a Superbowl is because we didn't get into a groove at the right time. 

This is brutal.

Grounds for dismissal!

Today Beane said out loud you can only get Ja’mar Chase by picking high in the draft.  

That is just unacceptable - even if he doesn’t really think that - I want him telling fans we need to do a better job drafting freaking late because I expect to be every dam year! 

To me, the drafting the last 3 years is why we didn’t get over the hump.  But…..

“Can’t trade up!  Wouldn’t want to end up with  Cee Dee Lamb or Chris Olave or anything.  Need more draft picks!  Trade back!!!”

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.