Beane End of Year Presser

thenorthremembers

I know many fans are still upset about the loss to the Bengals, but we’re you really surprised by Beane’s press conference? The reality is the Bills are a top tier team in the AFC and NFL. You don’t go blowing that up. Yes, the expectation is Dorsey will continue to grow and be a better OC in year 2 than year one. It’s obvious they know the interior of the OL needs address and I fully expect them to do that. They also know they need some speed and more talent at WR. 

Defensively, having a fully healthy Tre back coupled with Elam in his second year they are solid at CB. Hyde will return at Safety and I do expect them to lock up Edmunds.  A healthy Von Miller, Ed O, Jordan P, Groot and Daquan Jones is solid. We have enough pieces of D to be a solid top 10 D.

Add some new pieces from the draft, get some solid FA’s, restructure a few contracts and do you really believe the Bills won’t be in the thick of it next year? Some of you are acting like the gap is huge.

The Bills need to stay healthy, add weapons for Josh, improve the OL, reduce the maddening self inflicted mistakes, see growth and evolution from Dorsey and I love our chances.

LETS GO BUFFALO!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, PaulieYayo said:

Sounds like his plan is to run it back with no changes or accountability to the coordinators. He just loves everyone and how great they played. I wish a reporter would actually ask him and McD difficult questions for once and grill them a bit

I am sure they won't announce any move immediately and if there are coaching changes will be announced quietly after they go through their internal review.

3 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Well that was ... underwhelming to say the least, depressing to say more. 

All that was left was for him to say "winning is hard in the NFL"

After 13 seconds, the fans had hope going into this season. This will not be the case if he walks it (players, coaches) back next season

It was the first time I was unhappy with a Beane presser.    He seemed resigned to the fact that they would have to have a similar roster.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

It was the first time I was unhappy with a Beane presser.    He seemed resigned to the fact that they would have to have a similar roster.

Because that was pretty much his plan when he went all-in for this season. And then we got bit by the injury bug. We swung for the fences and fouled the ball right into our own cup.

Beane has his work cut out for him this offseason. I'm sure he realizes it too.

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo media is so lazy and inept. Tough questions are NEVER asked. Truly a minor league, likely low paid group. Fans are even worse. When someone does ask relevant, tough questions (Jerry Sullivan) the fans jump on him... Frankly, Sullivan's questions look 100% spot on now!    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

27 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I mean, what's he supposed to say? People are reading too much into this. He's not going to throw anyone under the bus. It's so not his way.

He can throw himself under the bus.  Personal accountability, which is usually something he's good at.  His scouting/pro personnel efforts have been utter garbage and have done very little to help the team compete post-2018.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

He appears very under water.   Seemingly acknowledging that we cant do much expect run it back which is not what I thought he'd say.

I thought he looked a bit dear in headlights.

When you talk about Brown, Hines, Bernard, the DL, and how tough it looked for this team to just play football for half the year so much of it comes down missing on a number of drafts in a row and poor cap allocation.

He said “we have to nail this draft” he knows he hasn’t every nailed his top 100 picks and his time is likely coming near. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

I know many fans are still upset about the loss to the Bengals, but we’re you really surprised by Beane’s press conference? The reality is the Bills are a top tier team in the AFC and NFL. You don’t go blowing that up. Yes, the expectation is Dorsey will continue to grow and be a better OC in year 2 than year one. It’s obvious they know the interior of the OL needs address and I fully expect them to do that. They also know they need some speed and more talent at WR. 

Defensively, having a fully healthy Tre back coupled with Elam in his second year they are solid at CB. Hyde will return at Safety and I do expect them to lock up Edmunds.  A healthy Von Miller, Ed O, Jordan P, Groot and Daquan Jones is solid. We have enough pieces of D to be a solid top 10 D.

Add some new pieces from the draft, get some solid FA’s, restructure a few contracts and do you really believe the Bills won’t be in the thick of it next year? Some of you are acting like the gap is huge.

The Bills need to stay healthy, add weapons for Josh, improve the OL, reduce the maddening self inflicted mistakes, see growth and evolution from Dorsey and I love our chances.

LETS GO BUFFALO!

I think you are going to be very disappointed next year.

The Bills are setup to take a step back in 2023, and hopefully reload for another Super Bowl in 2-3 years.

With the salary cap, we have a choice to either gut the defense this year OR address the issues on offense.  They probably can't keep both Tremaine Edmunds and Jordan Poyer, and even keeping one will make it very difficult to fix the O-Line and receiver room.  Von Miller will be lucky to return by mid-season, and may not return to his old self.  Until that point, we get the D-Line we saw on Sunday (yuck).  

Teams can only stay competitive for long periods of time with good drafting.  Our last three draft classes have been well below average, which means we don't have players ready to step into key roles when veteran free agents leave.  

Yeah, we still have Josh Allen.  But the surrounding team is going to be inferior to other AFC rosters.  And with the possible QBs that will be available this offseason (Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, Derek Carr), it's very possible the Jets/Patriots find a way to narrow that gap in our division too.

• Like (+1) 4

No GM is going to throw anyone under the bus at a press conference. I think inside the walls they know they have a ton of stuff to shore up. McDermott suggested that in his presser. 

people here are pissed he’s not screaming and stomping his feet in a press conference. Nor is he going to go into details on plans for improvement. Last year he said there probably would t be big fa signings. Then they signed Von.

Edited by todd
Bad spellz
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Basically admitting we are on the decline. Passed by CIN and already behind KC. Since they have Burrow and Chase nothing we can do unless we suck for in a year a good WR is available early. 

This is pretty much the way it is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Do some of you really expect him to say, "oh yeah, the axe is gonna come down, heads are rolling, we're replacing this guy and that coach and Timmy the clipboard holder he's gone too."

The expectations are absolutely absurd from some of y'all. Beane has built a consistent contender, something we hadn't seen for nearly two decades. Does he have some whiffs? Sure. They all do. No GM has a perfect track record. 

Josh had guys like Robert Foster and Zay Jones in 18 and 19. Everyone said "they need a real receiver for Josh!" Beane goes and gets Diggs. 

Everyone griped about the pass rush in 2020 and 2021. What'd Beane do? Goes out and gets a Hall of Fame pass rusher. 

They've drafted well, developed players and retained them. That is how you keep the window open. Crap happens. If they were to do a major overhaul like some of y'all want then we'd all be miserable watching this team go 8-9 for another two or three seasons. 

And I'm not saying Beane is immune to criticism, I'm saying some of ya need to allow room for error because again, no GM can be perfect. He's done a lot to address the needs of the team and with the way the cap works they have to prioritize the positions they find most important and pay those guys and hope they can get by with average or subpar players are some other spots. This is something all teams have to do. 

I know Dorsey isn't going anywhere. And yeah at times his calls weren't the best or most creative but other times it was Josh not making the best decisions and the offense not executing. As always it's a combination of things but it's just too easy for people to point at one or two people and place all the blame on them. 

That said...the one change I think I'd like to see is them moving on from Leslie Frazier. Very consistent in the regular season but when the pressure is on in the big games things just seem to fall apart. I'd like to see some more creativity on that side of the ball. 

It'll be an interesting off-season. 

This is the best post I've read on this board since that dissappoing loss.

Bad posters went rogue, and even many good and reasonable posters seemed to lost their minds for a while (many in this thread).

I agree with every single word from the top to bottom.

Thank you for bringing a little sanity to this board.

Edited by No_Matter_What

Don’t  know what anyone expects they’ll hear in these pressers. Beane isn’t going to broadcast his intentions going forward. It’ll be “while we did some good things , we fell short of our ultimate goal. We don’t expect any huge signings due to cap considerations…” These aren’t the Russ Brandon / Whaley days.. we’ll know about any moves after they happen only. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RG Murdock said:

Buffalo media is so lazy and inept. Tough questions are NEVER asked. Truly a minor league, likely low paid group. Fans are even worse. When someone does ask relevant, tough questions (Jerry Sullivan) the fans jump on him... Frankly, Sullivan's questions look 100% spot on now!    

The problem is people like to sing “the good ship lollipop”.  Any questioning outside of the herd mentality is met with contempt, disdain, and outright ridicule.  You know the proverbial you’re so negative pessimistic bitter antisocial hater etc…. That most never stop to really think if there is credence to an observation or criticism outside the norm. You know what they say “sometimes the truth hurts”.  Unfortunately like in the movie “a few good men”.  You can’t handle the truth. 

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

If he can only do one thing this offseason, I hope it's the bolded part of your post. Need a better run game and to protect Josh better. Von coming back should improve our pass rush. 

a soon to be 34 year old who relies on speed coming back from a torn acl. How's that gonna work out? (see TreDavious White)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Not a good look to use the Bengals' recent failure as an excuse for why they are now better than us. Their free agency spending got them DJ Reader, Trey Hendrickson, Hayden Hurst. Ours got us Mario Addison and Vernon Butler. Beane has to take more accountability. Our lack of difference makers rests entirely on his shoulders.

TBF it got us Von Miller.  Just because disaster happened and he went down for the season with an ACL doesnt mean it didnt get us Von Miller.  It may look bad now but at the time it was a good signing and it still can be good next year.

The rest of everyones criticism is deserved at least as far as I have read thus far.

Edited by Scott7975

9 minutes ago, todd said:

No GM is going to throw anyone under the bus at a press conference. I think inside the walls they know they have a ton of stuff to shore up. McDermott suggested that in his presser. 

people here are pissed he’s not screaming and stomping his feet in a press conference. Nor is he going to go into details on plans for improvement. Last year he said there probably would t be big fa signings. Then they signed Bon.

I am actually upset that he didn’t seem in control and that somehow this season just sort of got away from him. Not that there were/are any major issues with the roster/cap.  Like this season and roster just happened to him and other situations/rosters were better based on their luck, and what he did was just fine. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Beane said that Josh has too many bruises on him, and that it's the only thing he'll criticize Josh for. That he needs to get down more and take less hits.

While Beane isn't wrong, I DO hope he realizes that some of the bruises that Josh has have to do with him constantly running for his life behind a bad pass blocking offensive line. Beane himself can reduce the bruising by, ya know...protecting his franchise quarterback.

If these knuckle heads respond to this butt kicking by emphasizing the defense again, and continue to patch up the cracks on the offensive line with journeyman hires, my head will explode.

They just have the wrong philosophy, generally, toward what today's game is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

43 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I've been a huge defender of Brandon Beane.  But much of the responsibility for this mess falls on his shoulders.

This regime's early drafts (2017-2018) were excellent and set the foundation for us to be one of the NFL's best teams.

But his draft classes have slowly drifted backwards from that point.  2019 was solid, but produced no real difference makers.  2020 was pretty blah, and was only saved by the trade for Stefon Diggs.  2021 got us Groot and a bunch of nothing.  Everyone we got in 2022 spent most of their rookie seasons sitting the bench.

Before the season, there was an assumption the Bills had an extremely deep roster.  In reality, our backups just hadn't been tested outside of the few times we saw them in the preseason.  Injuries forced quite a few guys into action this year, and we found out they weren't as good as originally believed.

Beane had nothing to do with the 2017 draft. That was all McDermott and Whaley's scouts. Other than getting Allen it was the best draft in the McDermott era, but it was not part of the Beane era and he should get 0 credit for it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.