Beane End of Year Presser

thenorthremembers

Just now, Nitro said:

The TD in the endzone?  He literally took the ball away from the guy.  He fought for it for ten yards to wrestle it away in the end zone.

Nope.  I was thinking of the wrong one.  I thought you were talking about the 98-yard bomb.  

• Like (+1) 2

Hate the Spencer Brown excuses. If the guy was so effected by his lack of offseason reps and back injuries it's still Beane's job as GM to address that and bring somebody else in to play that position. Brown was a disaster on the field. 

The Bengals talk is ironic. Beane you are aware that you had a top 10 pick the year after you drafted a QB right? And that you've had the same advantage of a top 3 QB on a rookie contract? 

A lot of the other stuff is just whatever. If we're firing coaches or making big roster changes I don't expect him to be blabbing about it at this presser. 

• Agree 5

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I hope you're right.

I think I am in this case. Terry's net worth is currently listed at $6.7 billion by Forbes and $8.19 billion by Bloomberg. I don't think many people really fathom how much money that it is. It's an obscene amount and so great that if he lost 80 percent of it tomorrow from either amount, he'd still have enough to live in the lap of luxury for another 30 lifetimes.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I thought these end of season conferences were supposed to instil confidence? Sounds like Beane is basically saying "we're screwed".

We died on the mountain, just like green-boots

Jack Ryan: "Hounds to the hunters."

Captain Davenport: "Your Russian's going to make it to America, Mr. Ryan. He's going to die within sight of it."

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

I wonder what happened to the years when we had the advantage of having a QB on a rookie contract...oh that's right Beane and McDermott couldn't get it done then either.

Yup. I hate the QB-on-a-rookie-contract cop out. Consistently drafting well and spending wisely is the answer to that. And guess what? We’ve got a top QB on a veteran deal. If you can’t make that work, then there’s nothing you can do for us. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I'd take Marquise Brown over any wideout on this team not named Steffon Diggs.   If he is your number 2 you're in really good shape.

I think if you compared Brown on Arizona this season to Davis, you might be surprised - and he was the #1 guy for a lot of it.

But that's a disagreement on one player, and really doesn't detract from your overall point where we agree:

Beane was rationalizing Cincinnati's choices to prioritize offense, when he prioritized defense or whiffed on a pick.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Do some of you really expect him to say, "oh yeah, the axe is gonna come down, heads are rolling, we're replacing this guy and that coach and Timmy the clipboard holder he's gone too."

The expectations are absolutely absurd from some of y'all. Beane has built a consistent contender, something we hadn't seen for nearly two decades. Does he have some whiffs? Sure. They all do. No GM has a perfect track record. 

Josh had guys like Robert Foster and Zay Jones in 18 and 19. Everyone said "they need a real receiver for Josh!" Beane goes and gets Diggs. 

Everyone griped about the pass rush in 2020 and 2021. What'd Beane do? Goes out and gets a Hall of Fame pass rusher. 

They've drafted well, developed players and retained them. That is how you keep the window open. Crap happens. If they were to do a major overhaul like some of y'all want then we'd all be miserable watching this team go 8-9 for another two or three seasons. 

And I'm not saying Beane is immune to criticism, I'm saying some of ya need to allow room for error because again, no GM can be perfect. He's done a lot to address the needs of the team and with the way the cap works they have to prioritize the positions they find most important and pay those guys and hope they can get by with average or subpar players are some other spots. This is something all teams have to do. 

I know Dorsey isn't going anywhere. And yeah at times his calls weren't the best or most creative but other times it was Josh not making the best decisions and the offense not executing. As always it's a combination of things but it's just too easy for people to point at one or two people and place all the blame on them. 

That said...the one change I think I'd like to see is them moving on from Leslie Frazier. Very consistent in the regular season but when the pressure is on in the big games things just seem to fall apart. I'd like to see some more creativity on that side of the ball. 

It'll be an interesting off-season. 

I've been a huge defender of Brandon Beane.  But much of the responsibility for this mess falls on his shoulders.

This regime's early drafts (2017-2018) were excellent and set the foundation for us to be one of the NFL's best teams.

But his draft classes have slowly drifted backwards from that point.  2019 was solid, but produced no real difference makers.  2020 was pretty blah, and was only saved by the trade for Stefon Diggs.  2021 got us Groot and a bunch of nothing.  Everyone we got in 2022 spent most of their rookie seasons sitting the bench.

Before the season, there was an assumption the Bills had an extremely deep roster.  In reality, our backups just hadn't been tested outside of the few times we saw them in the preseason.  Injuries forced quite a few guys into action this year, and we found out they weren't as good as originally believed.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Governor said:

These guys are done. Time to turn up the heat.

What he's actually saying, whether he knows it or not, is that the changes most would like to see will likely happen only a year from now after an inevitably uninspiring season. Unless Pegs pulls on his big boy pants and makes some executive decisions, however unlikely.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I generally look forward to Beane pressers, he’s usually as honest and candid with you as he can be. This presser today was… uninspiring. Lots of excuses being passed around, lots of pointing to the team’s record, and praising of players and coaches. That’s not what I wanted to hear as far as what needs to be done to get this team over the hump. Would rather he gave out vague, angry answers, that way I’d feel good about changes coming. Sounds like Frazier and everyone else is back if McD says so 🤮

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Happening now.   Dont have twitter so cant update there but so far the guy sounds like he doesnt have many answers:

Well that was ... underwhelming to say the least, depressing to say more. 

All that was left was for him to say "winning is hard in the NFL"

After 13 seconds, the fans had hope going into this season. This will not be the case if he walks it (players, coaches) back next season

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

I generally look forward to Beane pressers, he’s usually as honest and candid with you as he can be. This presser today was… uninspiring. Lots of excuses being passed around, lots of pointing to the team’s record, and praising of players and coaches. That’s not what I wanted to hear as far as what needs to be done to get this team over the hump. Would rather he gave out vague, angry answers, that way I’d feel good about changes coming. Sounds like Frazier and everyone else is back if McD says so 🤮

One step closer to a first round exit in the playoffs or no playoffs all together.  No accountability whatsoever is what makes fans pissed, slap the same crap oline on the field next year to destroy Allen. No wr's drafted year after year, especially in cheap contracts. 

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

What he's actually saying, whether he knows it or not, is that the changes most would like to see will likely happen only a year from now after an inevitably uninspiring season. Unless Pegs pulls on his big boy pants and makes some executive decisions, however unlikely.

Yep.  This was always the most likely outcome and it's how most conservatively-run teams operate.  Unless Frazier decides to retire or transition to a league administrative role, I don't see any real changes coming.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Hate the Spencer Brown excuses. If the guy was so effected by his lack of offseason reps and back injuries it's still Beane's job as GM to address that and bring somebody else in to play that position. Brown was a disaster on the field. 

The Bengals talk is ironic. Beane you are aware that you had a top 10 pick the year after you drafted a QB right? And that you've had the same advantage of a top 3 QB on a rookie contract? 

A lot of the other stuff is just whatever. If we're firing coaches or making big roster changes I don't expect him to be blabbing about it at this presser. 

I'm listening to the presser now.  His point about Spencer Brown at the end was "We're not going to give him a roster spot.  We're going to bring in competition."  This year, none of the O linemen they had on the roster could unseat him...not because he was good, but because they were worse.  

At the time we had the top 10 pick, we were still building both sides of the ball.  He went with Oliver on the defensive side.  Then he got Diggs the following year.  As I recall, most folks were happy with both those moves.  He clearly believes he needs to see much more from Oliver.  The Bengals got Chase because he played with Burrows at LSU.  They had a chemistry.  Who did Josh play with at Wyoming that would be as immediately compatible?  I think that's why Beane went with veteran receivers to help Josh so they wouldn't both be learning at the same time.

As to the rest of the presser, I don't expect Beane to trash anyone in the media...just like McD.  So these folks that are hearing "run it back"...I"m not hearing that.  I'm hearing some things he's happy with, but that they have a lot of work to do.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Chaos said:

Its no ones fault. Everyone did their best. We are not in a position to make any changes. We are not as good as the competition.  Is this a fair summary? 

Sounds a lot to me like he's definitely trying to lessen expectations going into next season.  I'm really hoping it's just a matter of him trying to play his cards close to his chest, but it certainly wasn't inspiring a lot of hope or optimism that they have the ability or the willingness to fix the problems this team has right now.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.