Beane End of Year Presser

thenorthremembers

3 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

That was depressing as hell. The GM basically said there are not going to be very many changes. He also said Dorsey will be back year 2 and they are in cap jail. I am paraphrasing but I'm not hopeful after that. 

He said that last year and then went out and signed Von Miller.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Do some of you really expect him to say, "oh yeah, the axe is gonna come down, heads are rolling, we're replacing this guy and that coach and Timmy the clipboard holder he's gone too."

The expectations are absolutely absurd from some of y'all. Beane has built a consistent contender, something we hadn't seen for nearly two decades. Does he have some whiffs? Sure. They all do. No GM has a perfect track record. 

Josh had guys like Robert Foster and Zay Jones in 18 and 19. Everyone said "they need a real receiver for Josh!" Beane goes and gets Diggs. 

Everyone griped about the pass rush in 2020 and 2021. What'd Beane do? Goes out and gets a Hall of Fame pass rusher. 

They've drafted well, developed players and retained them. That is how you keep the window open. Crap happens. If they were to do a major overhaul like some of y'all want then we'd all be miserable watching this team go 8-9 for another two or three seasons. 

And I'm not saying Beane is immune to criticism, I'm saying some of ya need to allow room for error because again, no GM can be perfect. He's done a lot to address the needs of the team and with the way the cap works they have to prioritize the positions they find most important and pay those guys and hope they can get by with average or subpar players are some other spots. This is something all teams have to do. 

I know Dorsey isn't going anywhere. And yeah at times his calls weren't the best or most creative but other times it was Josh not making the best decisions and the offense not executing. As always it's a combination of things but it's just too easy for people to point at one or two people and place all the blame on them. 

That said...the one change I think I'd like to see is them moving on from Leslie Frazier. Very consistent in the regular season but when the pressure is on in the big games things just seem to fall apart. I'd like to see some more creativity on that side of the ball. 

It'll be an interesting off-season. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

That was depressing as hell. The GM basically said there are not going to be very many changes. He also said Dorsey will be back year 2 and they are in cap jail. I am paraphrasing but I'm not hopeful after that. 

Something about doing the same thing but expecting a different result😅

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Bills had their chance to do the same thing in 2019.  Instead of taking Josh Jacobs, Marquise Brown or Deebo Samuel they took Ed Oliver.  Instead of taking Miles Sanders, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Diontae Johnson or Terry McLaurin they took Cody Ford.

Beane has no to blame but himself.  He came across incredibly poor in this presser.

I'm not sure I see Marquise Brown as a prize, but fair points on Josh Jacobs, Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, and Terry McLaurin.

Just now, The Firebaugh Kid said:

He's not going to come right out and say what they're thinking, but I'm sure "run it back with who we have and not try to upgrade" is not part of the plan. Cmon now. 

Just because he speaks positively about a player doesn't mean he's not looking to bring in competition. 

Beane is very much a stick with what you know kind of GM. 

13 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I'm sure that's the case. If he's staying, we'll hear about an extension in the next week or so because they have to start scouting for the draft.

They wont be wating until next week to say that he is going.... If he was going then I thought an announcement to that effect would have been already made.. 

3 minutes ago, PaulieYayo said:

Sounds like his plan is to run it back with no changes or accountability to the coordinators. He just loves everyone and how great they played. I wish a reporter would actually ask him and McD difficult questions for once and grill them a bit

I actually thought the reporters asked a number of hard questions, and even reiterated questions as follow-ons.  But they got the "go not to BB for counsel he will say both no and yes"

14 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He mentioned Frazier very sparingly.   I think he is done.  Didnt mention any other lineman, but he really wasnt asked.   It really appears like they are going to try and sign cheap free agents to compete with Gabe and see if he can be better next year.

Other option is a trade, but i doubt they can fit much under the cap there.  I wouldn't waste a 1st in a draft that isn't strong at WR, where we are picking 27.  Go with best player available (within reason).  

21 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I'm sick of Frazier... and Dorsey pissed me off at times..  but I can't deny these guys were 13-3,  14-3 before getting rolled by Cincinnati.  SO if they can learn and make changes for the positive, and Bean can work some magic in the draft and F/A,  let's give them one more season to right these wrongs.  I think this Domination will stick with them and be a huge motivator.  

13 seconds was supposed to be that too. Idk......

• Like (+1) 3

The talent (outside the O-Line) is there, the current coaching staff is the issue. This team desperately needs fresh eyes from new coordinators. Both sides of the ball, offense and defense.

I adamantly believe a competent consistent running game would put this team over the top. The longer the opposing offense is riding the pine, the more out of sync they will be when they finally line up.

• Like (+1) 1

Hines, with a full training camp, will help indeed.  I agree Brown is still developing and is solid at RT.   I think,reading between the lines, that Singletary is gone.  Edmunds, while they would love to have him, would be hard to keep.  If he leaves the Bills are in a deep hole defensively and next years schedule is brutal.  Overall an honest. GM terms, press conference. I am not as pessimistic as others on TBD.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Nothing will change as long as this team is winning their division and hosting a playoff game. McBeane are content with this level of success…

More importantly, and sadly, I think the Pegulas are fine with it as long as the season ticket demand remains high.

• Angry 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.