Beane End of Year Presser

thenorthremembers

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

Thanks for that. I'll find it on Youtube and watch it in a bit.

"Sees the Bills as now behind the Bengals and Chiefs in the AFC"...at least he's not in denial and knows he has work to do. 

If he's willing to give Edmunds what he'll demand on the open market, he's basically doing a defacto Von Miller signing.  

Was Brown the only O-line position he talked about because they've got a lot more problems than just him.

Sounds like Dorsey's job is safe, unless there's something we don't know.

I hope he doesn't confuse thinking Gabe CAN turn it around with Gabe WILL turn it around and not take that into consideration going into the draft. That's the exact kind of thinking that got us into trouble with Gabe this year...thinking he's something he's not.  Is he willing to burn another year of Josh's career to find out?  How much more time does Gabe need here, seriously?  We don't need a receiver that makes big plays sometimes but is not dependable the rest of the time.  We need a consistent and legit WR2 that can take some of the attention off Diggs.

Nothing about Frazier?

Again, thanks for the runndown.

Gabe is just too stiff of a route runner to consistently get open in the offense buffalo currently is trying to run.  I think he'd do well in something like Greg Roman's, or anything that is really play action oriented.  He blocks well, likes to come back to the ball, and is a deep threat. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Frazier's contract is up after this season. If something "happens" it would be retaining him by signing a new contract. If nothing happens, he's out.

I’m sure the decision has been made by now if he is coming back next season or not 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Disagree 1

Beane said that Josh has too many bruises on him, and that it's the only thing he'll criticize Josh for. That he needs to get down more and take less hits.

While Beane isn't wrong, I DO hope he realizes that some of the bruises that Josh has have to do with him constantly running for his life behind a bad pass blocking offensive line. Beane himself can reduce the bruising by, ya know...protecting his franchise quarterback.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Thanks for that. I'll find it on Youtube and watch it in a bit.

"Sees the Bills as now behind the Bengals and Chiefs in the AFC"...at least he's not in denial and knows he has work to do. 

If he's willing to give Edmunds what he'll demand on the open market, he's basically doing a defacto Von Miller signing.  

Was Brown the only O-line position he talked about because they've got a lot more problems than just him.

Sounds like Dorsey's job is safe, unless there's something we don't know.

I hope he doesn't confuse thinking Gabe CAN turn it around with Gabe WILL turn it around and not take that into consideration going into the draft. That's the exact kind of thinking that got us into trouble with Gabe this year...thinking he's something he's not.  Is he willing to burn another year of Josh's career to find out?  How much more time does Gabe need here, seriously?  We don't need a receiver that makes big plays sometimes but is not dependable the rest of the time.  We need a consistent and legit WR2 that can take some of the attention off Diggs.

Nothing about Frazier?

Again, thanks for the runndown.

He mentioned Frazier very sparingly.   I think he is done.  Didnt mention any other lineman, but he really wasnt asked.   It really appears like they are going to try and sign cheap free agents to compete with Gabe and see if he can be better next year.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

We essentially run the most complex offenses and defenses in the NFL…

gotta disagree here.  Opponents routinely say they are basic and rely on execution.

Anyway, running it back is unacceptable, but if Terry isn't holding their feet to the fire then it sounds like that's exactly what's gonna happen.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Beane said that Josh has too many bruises on him, and that it's the only thing he'll criticize Josh for. That he needs to get down more and take less hits.

While Beane isn't wrong, I DO hope he realizes that some of the bruises that Josh has have to do with him constantly running for his life behind a bad pass blocking offensive line. Beane himself can reduce the bruising by, ya know...protecting his franchise quarterback.

My exact thought.   If you dont want the guy to feel like he has to be the whole team, do something to help him.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, HurlyBurly51 said:

gotta disagree here.  Opponents routinely say they are basic and rely on execution.

Anyway, running it back is unacceptable, but if Terry isn't holding their feet to the fire then it sounds like that's exactly what's gonna happen.

I was being sarcastic my guy

Unfortunately it doesn't matter what he says or what questions he answers, unless we win the SB this is the fate of a solid franchise. You can call McDermott and Beane trash all you want but they've put this franchise in an awesome spot and like Von Miller stated "it's really hard to win in this league" , only 1 team can win the SB. Many want Sean Payton, he's only won 1 SB with soon to be HOF QB Drew Brees, the great Don Shula won 0 SB with 1 of the greatest QB's I've ever seen in Dan Marino. I'm making no excuses for this team, they should be a SB contender every year and they are, it's unfortunate we haven't won it yet, I still have faith in this group, it's no doubt running thin and some quite possibly might get their wish if we lose again next year but like everything the grass isn't always greener.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

This part really bothered me when Beane said it.

He was basically asked what he can take from the Bengals' build, and rather than state any one of the many obvious things that make the Bengals a good team -- strong up front on both sides of the ball, great wide receiver play, depth, etc -- he chose just about the worst possible answer.

To say that they "were lucky enough" to be "bad enough to get Ja'Marr Chase", he is essentially ducking accountability for still needing to be able to find difference makers later in round one and beyond. Lots of great NFL players -- receivers, especially -- are taken in late round one and beyond. For him to point to the "luck" of drafting high is to dodge the responsibility that he and his staff bare to find good players REGARDLESS of where in the draft they pick.

Yes, later in the interview he said that he and his staff need to hit on draft picks, but he's said that before. That's obvious. Those are just words. The "we don't pick early like the Bengals used to, so we're not getting a guy like that" and the insinuation of luck and high draft position as reasons for success were a bad look.

Bills had their chance to do the same thing in 2019.  Instead of taking Josh Jacobs, Marquise Brown or Deebo Samuel they took Ed Oliver.  Instead of taking Miles Sanders, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Diontae Johnson or Terry McLaurin they took Cody Ford.

Beane has no to blame but himself.  He came across incredibly poor in this presser.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 13

Bright Spots: Starts with Josh Allen.  One of the better QBs in the league.

One of the BEST QB's in the league, not one of the better. Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, that is the upper echelon right now. Allen also is the QB who has achieved more with far less around him. As far as everything else Beane said goes? We just might be in trouble. Already talking about throwing cash Tremaine's way and saying they will be too cap strapped to do much else. No mention of possible shakeups on the staff, none of that. Talking about Davis transitioning to a full-time starter like it's an excuse. Making excuses for Spencer Brown. I mean, come on guy. All of this is crazy to me right now. 

vomitar-to-vomit.gif

Edited by H2o
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A lot of excuse making from some players and now Beane kinda piggy backing off it.  Soon as someone says “it’s no excuse” it’s really them saying it’s an excuse.  Is this going to be the mantra of this season?  The excuse train?

Edited by GolfandBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Process said:

Omg the excuses for Spencer Brown 🤣

30 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Really defending Spencer Brown.  

I wasn't expecting to hear Beane divulge his salary cap strategy and his FA prioritization.

But the talk about Spencer Brown was actually the most depressing part of Beane's presser for me, because it reminded me of how he spoke about Cody Ford, excuse excuse excuse excuse.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.