Beane End of Year Presser

thenorthremembers

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I hate to say it, but I agree.

Talks about needing to improve the lines, but then proceeds to defend Brown, and we can all presume he's not replacing Dawkins or Morse. So already, that's three of five linemen likely coming back. Defensive linemen wise, what can they do exactly? They don't have the money to sign any more big ticket free agents. They can't keep spending high picks on defensive linemen. All they can do there, really, is bank on "internal improvement".

Hearing "Josh's elbow" and "Dorsey was in year one and will grow" and "Gabe Davis will grow" and "we had a lot of injuries on defense" and "we didn't hit a groove at the right time"...it's hard not to think they'll sign a few bargain guys, draft a safety or linebacker to replace whichever of our defensive FAs leaves, and run it all back next year.

I would love a little more ruthless honestly and realistic self scouting here from Beane. I'm not hearing it.

i can only say from the tuning in late experience.... that this is weird.

on a related note i am sick of the nfl letting the position games be so ***** up. that edmunds is talleyed up like von miller is because von wants to wear a special jersey number is ridiculous. the nfl needs to address players being listed at their proper position so compensation is correct, especially for tags.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I hate to say it, but I agree.

Talks about needing to improve the lines, but then proceeds to defend Brown, and we can all presume he's not replacing Dawkins or Morse. So already, that's three of five linemen likely coming back. Defensive linemen wise, what can they do exactly? They don't have the money to sign any more big ticket free agents. They can't keep spending high picks on defensive linemen. All they can do there, really, is bank on "internal improvement".

Hearing "Josh's elbow" and "Dorsey was in year one and will grow" and "Gabe Davis will grow" and "we had a lot of injuries on defense" and "we didn't hit a groove at the right time"...it's hard not to think they'll sign a few bargain guys, draft a safety or linebacker to replace whichever of our defensive FAs leaves, and run it all back next year.

I would love a little more ruthless honestly and realistic self scouting here from Beane. I'm not hearing it.

If he can only do one thing this offseason, I hope it's the bolded part of your post. Need a better run game and to protect Josh better. Von coming back should improve our pass rush. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

Listening now.  No changes coming.  Get ready to run it back next year 

We've all heard this..but it hits a bit harder right now

"Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results - Albert Einstein" - Michael Scott

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

A lot of their team is high priced free agents, you can pull that off when your QB and #1 WR are cheap.  That's I believe what he is trying to say. 

QB, #1 and #2 WRs are all on rookie deals. I think he's trying to say its like when David Robinson got hurt and the Spurs got to draft Tim Duncan because they were bad for one year. Then they had twin towers for a title run.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

2020- Lost in AFC Championship

2021- Lost in OT after giving up lead with 13 seconds in divisional round

2022- Got a$$ kicked in divisional round

That is a downward trend. What is next year lose in wild card? 

The roster was much worse in the playoffs 2022 than previous seasons. Take a look.

12 minutes ago, Process said:

When the bills lost to the chiefs last year we all felt like we were the best team in the league, and should have won the Superbowl if not for an epic coaching blunder.

Beane nailed the year end press conference and addressed some very specific areas where the team needed to improve.

Everything about the way this season ended is the complete opposite.

It sounds like Beanes plan is to run it back and hope we get in a groove at the right time.

Well…we essentially ran it back on offense last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Happening now.   Dont have twitter so cant update there but so far the guy sounds like he doesnt have many answers:

• Sees the Bills as now behind the Bengals and Chiefs in the AFC
  • Would love to bring in a lot of 5 star players but the cap may prevent that
  • Wont comment on how big the gap is between the Chiefs/Bengals and Bills
  • Bengals have the advantage of a QB on rookie contract.  Were lucky to suck enough to get Jamarr Chase.  Bills dont want to be in that position.
  • Right now the Bills are at about $240 million on the books.   Have to work to get under the cap.   Wont be a Von Miller signing this offseason.
  • Need to hit on draft picks and sign cheap free agents who can find a role on the team.
  • Want to be strong up front.  Will not hesitate to add there.
  • Gabe Davis did some good thing this year.   Too much focus on drops.   The transition is hard as a full time starter, but he did some good things.   Corners knew they had to account for him.  No one out works Gabe.   We trust him.  He will prove better next year.
  • Poyer and Edmunds are true Buffalo Bills.   Jordan had some bad luck with injuries, it was one thing after another.  Give him a lot of credit for his loyalty to the team and a lot of respect for the way he handled his situation.  Would love to have him back but will depend on the cap.
  • On Edmunds, talked about it earlier our goal is to draft develop and resign.   Got comfortable as a leader.  A big part of our success. 
  • On Dorsey: Offensive numbers were good.  Probably felt like he was drinking out of a fire hose at times but he knows the game and has played it at a high level.  Has the growth mindset will continue to find ways to help him.
  • Would consider the franchise on Edmunds but pass rushers get counted in LB franchise so it may be tough.
  • Werent in a groove going into the playoffs.   Have to put yourself in position for good seeding in the playoffs.  Want to be a consistent team.  Looking at every avenue to be the 1 seed next year.  Not overreacting to 1 game.
  • On Spencer Brown:  Social media scouts overreact.  Went to a small school, missed a year in college for COVID, then missed a full off season with a back injury.  Couldnt do much in camp.  DIdnt think he'd play game 1 this year.  Didnt get enough reps.  Played better in the 2nd half of the season.   Would ask people who are critical of him to acknowledge he came from a small school and has to work at it.  Wont be given a roster spot but will be give the opportunity to be the RT next year.
  • On Diggs:  A lot like Steve Smith Jr.   Fiery, wears his emotions on his sleeve.   He isnt here just to collect his paycheck, eventhough he gets paid well he still shows up and cares.  We all have warts.   But Stef cares a ton.
  • No more big ticket pass rushers, Von Miller was that guy.

Thanks for that. I'll find it on Youtube and watch it in a bit.

"Sees the Bills as now behind the Bengals and Chiefs in the AFC"...at least he's not in denial and knows he has work to do. 

If he's willing to give Edmunds what he'll demand on the open market, he's basically doing a defacto Von Miller signing.  

Was Brown the only O-line position he talked about because they've got a lot more problems than just him.

Sounds like Dorsey's job is safe, unless there's something we don't know.

I hope he doesn't confuse thinking Gabe CAN turn it around with Gabe WILL turn it around and not take that into consideration going into the draft. That's the exact kind of thinking that got us into trouble with Gabe this year...thinking he's something he's not.  Is he willing to burn another year of Josh's career to find out?  How much more time does Gabe need here, seriously?  We don't need a receiver that makes big plays sometimes but is not dependable the rest of the time.  We need a consistent and legit WR2 that can take some of the attention off Diggs.

Nothing about Frazier?

Again, thanks for the rundown.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm sick of Frazier... and Dorsey pissed me off at times..  but I can't deny these guys were 13-3,  14-3 before getting rolled by Cincinnati.  SO if they can learn and make changes for the positive, and Bean can work some magic in the draft and F/A,  let's give them one more season to right these wrongs.  I think this Domination will stick with them and be a huge motivator.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

If something was going to happen with Leslie… wouldn’t it have happened by now? 

Unless he wanted to get this out  of the way first 

Frazier's contract is up after this season. If something "happens" it would be retaining him by signing a new contract. If nothing happens, he's out.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

I'm sick of Frazier... and Dorsey pissed me off at times..  but I can't deny these guys were 13-3,  14-3 before getting rolled by Cincinnati.  SO if they can learn and make changes for the positive, and Bean can work some magic in the draft and F/A,  let's give them one more season to right these wrongs.  I think this Domination will stick with them and be a huge motivator.  

From the sounds of it the Bills won't be major players in FA. Have to hope Beane hits a HR in this upcoming draft.

My take aways:

Poyer is likely gone.  Edmunds is likely back.   Dorsey is likely staying, wouldnt be surprised if Frazier is gone.  

Looks like the plan is to try and run it back for the most part but they will look for cheap free agents to find roles on the team.   Seems like they will look to find cheap options to compete for positions rather than completely replacing guys like Spencer Brown and Gabe Davis.

Seemed like a guy that expected to have at least one championship at this point so they could let older contracts peter out and reload when the cap went up.  Instead they are stuck with cap issues and no championship to show for it.

Found it very interesting that he mentioned 2025 specifically, its the year his and McDermott's contracts are up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.