Aaron Rodgers to the Jets for 2 first round picks?

Lost

36 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Brady isn't out of this thing either.  They were talking about his situation this morning on the radio with Howard Simon.  The conclusion was (for what it's worth) that his agent is likely seeking out San Fran (home town team) and Miami (where his family lives now) and asking "Do you want Tom?"  If the answer is "NO" at both places, he quietly remains retired and that's that.

If either says "yes" that's where he goes.  

Brady in Miami and Rodgers in NJ are enough to make me question if we win the division next year.

Let's hope NONE OF THIS HAPPENS.

In the world outside of Howard Simon's fantasies, the odds are pretty good that if Brady wanted to go with either of those 2 teams, the agent had already asked the "Do you want Tom" question BEFORE he retired.  He wouldn't have gone through with his latest retirement announcement unless 1) He decided to retire, and he had no desire to play anymore & will head over to his $375 million payday at Fox, or 2) His agent was already told no by SF & Miami and then he announced his retirement.

Brady is retired.  End of story.   

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

3 of the final four had a cheap QB and 6 of the final 8 had qbs on contract before max qb money kicked in.  

the new model is win it all with a non-max contract qb.  

Maybe. We'll see both models on display a week from Sunday. My money will be on the highly paid QB.

3 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

3 of the final four had a cheap QB and 6 of the final 8 had qbs on contract before max qb money kicked in.  

the new model is win it all with a non-max contract qb.  

It’s not. Just look at how few SBs have been won by QBs on their rookies deals since 2010:

- Mahomes in 2019

- Russell Wilson in 2013

- Joe Flacco in 2012

That’s it. I used 2010 as the cut off since that was the last draft before the rookie salary cap was instituted. Early picks were getting paid well in 2010 and before. Wilson and Flacco were drafted prior to 2010, but were still on relatively cheap deals due to their draft position so I included them.

Eli and Roethlisberger each got one on their rookie deals - and then each got a second while on big vet deals. But Eli was 1st overall and Roethlisberger was 11th and both were paid well at the time. (Both were drafted before 2010 and won their first before then too.)

So, sure, it’s helpful to have a cheap QB contract when building a team, but it’s not the secret to hoisting the Lombardi. And guess what? A stud veteran QB can help bring in supporting players, often at a discount. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Maybe. We'll see both models on display a week from Sunday. My money will be on the highly paid QB.

That's cause he's actually a very good QB.  Will be interesting to see what happens in Philly when he gets new big contract.

15 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s not. Just look at how few SBs have been won by QBs on their rookies deals since 2010:

- Mahomes in 2019

- Russell Wilson in 2013

- Joe Flacco in 2012

That’s it. I used 2010 as the cut off since that was the last draft before the rookie salary cap was instituted. Early picks were getting paid well in 2010 and before. Wilson and Flacco were drafted prior to 2010, but were still on relatively cheap deals due to their draft position so I included them.

Eli and Roethlisberger each got one on their rookie deals - and then each got a second while on big vet deals. But Eli was 1st overall and Roethlisberger was 11th and both were paid well at the time. (Both were drafted before 2010 and won their first before then too.)

So, sure, it’s helpful to have a cheap QB contract when building a team, but it’s not the secret to hoisting the Lombardi. And guess what? A stud veteran QB can help bring in supporting players, often at a discount. 

That's kind of using flawed logic though as before this latest influx of very good to great new young QB's, there weren't nearly that many around.  So odds were heavily in your favor of supporting this argument.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

On 2/3/2023 at 8:34 AM, Gregg said:

I do think the Jets have a lot of talent on the roster now. JD hit a grand slam with the draft last year. Wilson, Hall, Sauce. Their D isn't elite level, but it is good. They have playmakers on offense both at RB and WR. Their OL needs to be improved and the biggest issue is QB. That is a very big issue obviously but if they can get one in FA then they will be trouble for the rest of the AFCE.

Yet they missed the playoffs

Again

• Agree 1

On 1/24/2023 at 3:16 PM, Lost said:

Please let it be true 😂🤣

If it does happen, it will Rodgers watch for his first meltdown as that NYC media has always been brutal.  As far as the draft picks, they already three 1st RD picks last year alone.  They are pretty stacked other than a crap QB in Wilson.  It wil also eat up I think $60 mil. Next year.

OTC cap hit on him is $68,155,000 in 2023, but then goes down from there.  If he’s amenable the Jets can convert that hit to a signing bonus post June 1.  The problem is right now the Jets are projected to be $3.8 mil over the cap.

Im. It worries he’s be in the AFCE, but he is under contract for several years.  It’s just one of the highest in the league.

Just fold for thought.  The upside is he would eat up a ton of cap and they would lose 1st RD picks.

On 2/3/2023 at 3:44 PM, BarleyNY said:

- Mahomes in 2019

- Russell Wilson in 2013

- Joe Flacco in 2012

Good right up, valid points and put in great context.  Thanks!

11 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

They didn't just miss the playoffs, they did it in resounding fashion losing their last 6 games and 7 of their last 8.😂

It was awesome!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.