Was Micah Hyde's injury the key to the Bills' season?

Giuseppe Tognarelli

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

Is coaching talent not just as much a part of the game as physical talent and is a factor included in the evaluation of a team's overall talent level?

Do you think the Bills would've been basically unanimous favorites coming into this season if those people making those calls though our coaching staff were a bunch of idiots?  It's all factored into that grade.  

The Bills were also dominated at the LOS on both sides of the ball.  When the Cincy defenders were getting pressure with just a 4 or even a 3-man rush, that's more than just getting out coached.  There's physical talent involved there.

When our defensive line is getting blown off the ball and we can't stop the run even when we know they're running it, that's not just being out coached. There's a physical talent factor there. Ditto with not being able to get pressure on the opposing QB.  As McD said, this game starts with the trenches and when you are losing that battle badly on both sides of the ball, it's not just coaching.

Not letting the Bills players off the hook, but don’t confuse talent with performance and effort. An OL starting 3 backups isn’t going to flat out beat you with talent. The Bengals pressures worked largely due to Dorsey’s insistence on slow developing plays in poor conditions. The Bills offense should have been similar to Cincinnati’s : quick throws short of the sticks with blockers ahead. The day called for getting the ball into the hands of Diggs, Knox and Beasley quickly. Designed runs for Allen mixed in. The Bills got beaten by a sound scheme executed well by players not asked to do too much. Not an uber-talented juggernaut. A sensible offensive game plan by the Bills would have produced the close game most expected, and possibly a win. I won’t bother supposing a more aggressive defensive game plan because while the Ravens showed it to be a sound strategy, we knew McFrazier would reject the concept. 

11 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Gameplan against the 2022/3 Bengals with Joe Burrow and 4 guys who can catch the ball:  Play 15 yards off LoS, give up a first down every play.  Eventually, WRs get tired, THEN WE STRIKE!!!

Yes, eventually they will be so tired of gaining yards they will get bored and lose focus!

2 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

We scored 10 pts. 

The offensive gameplan was just as bad as the defensive one. Defense gave up 30+ first downs and the offense made a living on 3 and out.

It was horrible from opening play to the final one.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not letting the Bills players off the hook, but don’t confuse talent with performance and effort. An OL starting 3 backups isn’t going to flat out beat you with talent. The Bengals pressures worked largely due to Dorsey’s insistence on slow developing plays in poor conditions. The Bills offense should have been similar to Cincinnati’s : quick throws short of the sticks with blockers ahead. The day called for getting the ball into the hands of Diggs, Knox and Beasley quickly. Designed runs for Allen mixed in. The Bills got beaten by a sound scheme executed well by players not asked to do too much. Not an uber-talented juggernaut. A sensible offensive game plan by the Bills would have produced the close game most expected, and possibly a win. I won’t bother supposing a more aggressive defensive game plan because while the Ravens showed it to be a sound strategy, we knew McFrazier would reject the concept. 

So you're saying they have more coaching talent than we do? If so, that's as big a factor in winning or losing as physical talent is.  Taking the totality of the two, it was clear to me at least that Cincy is the better team.  

Micah Hyde was the first domino to fall.  But his loss definitely wasn't the only reason this team fell short.

There were multiple nagging issues that plagued this team all-season on both sides of the ball.  The fact that we kept pulling out close wins caused lots of fans to gloss over the problems.  

By about Week 4-5 you could already tell that:

1.  The O-Line was still a big problem

2.  Gabe Davis was having trouble adapting to the #2 role

3.  The slot WR position was going to be a liability

4.  Ken Dorsey was struggling as a first-year play caller

Tre White returning a step slower, and then losing Von Miller on Thanksgiving were probably the nails in the coffin.

That killed our pass rush, in addition to us having big holes in the secondary.  

With that said... I'm don't think a 100% healthy Bills defense would have made it to the Super Bowl either.  Sunday solidified that coaching is indeed a big problem for us in the postseason.  Either philosophy needs to change, or somebody needs to go, for us to ever take the next step.

Just now, Billz4ever said:

So you're saying they have more coaching talent than we do? If so, that's as big a factor in winning or losing as physical talent is.  Taking the totality of the two, it was clear to me at least that Cincy is the better team.  

Not talking about “ coaching talent”, no. If you want to extrapolate that from the common sports nomenclature of being “ outcoached” feel free. I mean that the Bengals coaches got us that day, and I can’t take that away from them. I don’t think  our staff put forth their best work. I don’t follow the Bengals closely, but I know they had one more loss than the Bills did at seasons end. I’ve seen better work by the Bills staff than I saw on Sunday. It was probably the worst game plan I’ve seen this season and possibly in quite some time. As for players , I do not consider the Bengals to be vastly different in terms of talent than the Bills. 

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not talking about “ coaching talent”, no. If you want to extrapolate that from the common sports nomenclature of being “ outcoached” feel free. I mean that the Bengals coaches got us that day, and I can’t take that away from them. I don’t think  our staff put forth their best work. I don’t follow the Bengals closely, but I know they had one more loss than the Bills did at seasons end. I’ve seen better work by the Bills staff than I saw on Sunday. It was probably the worst game plan I’ve seen this season and possibly in quite some time. As for players , I do not consider the Bengals to be vastly different in terms of talent than the Bills. 

At the end of the day, whether you want to attribute it to coaching, talent, weather, or just luck, the Bills were beaten and beaten badly on both sides of the ball.  The final score isn't even a good indication of how bad they got beat and if they played again tomorrow, I'm not expecting a different outcome because the Bills are still more than likely to get owned in the trenches again.

I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Edited by Billz4ever

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I agree but this is season #2 that has ended on bad coaching.  The first time we played KC in the AFCCG I do feel we were not as good as them on a team level.

So if we keep these same coaches how many chances do they get to "get it right" in the playoffs? 

You only get so many years, wasting them on unprepared coaches is unacceptable. 

Just now, Billz4ever said:

At the end of the day, whether you want to attribute it to coaching, talent, weather, or just luck, the Bills were beaten and beaten badly on both sides of the ball.  The final score isn't even a good indication of how bad they got beat and if they played again tomorrow, I'm not expecting a different outcome because the Bills are still more than likely to get owned in the trenches again.

There were many factors, but with a different offensive approach and overall effort I absolutely would expect a different outcome. Not much you can do about the conditions but you should devise a game plan that reflects them. The Bengals did that.  Played in the same conditions with the identical game plans used Sunday I would expect similar results 8 times out of 10. Kind of like that old saying about insanity. 

14 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

There were many factors, but with a different offensive approach and overall effort I absolutely would expect a different outcome. Not much you can do about the conditions but you should devise a game plan that reflects them. The Bengals did that.  Played in the same conditions with the identical game plans used Sunday I would expect similar results 8 times out of 10. Kind of like that old saying about insanity. 

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's one that's clearly in the minority here.  Beane himself today said he think the Bills are behind both Cincy and KC in the AFC.

Edited by Billz4ever

Losing Hyde hurt but with Poyer back there they still had a vet presence to lead the younger guys. And then Tre eventually returned as well so at least the secondary had that. 

The day they said Von Miller's season was over I felt like their championship aspirations got much more difficult. Outside of Von there's simply nobody on that DL that offensives really have to focus on. And they eventually just ran outta gas. 

31 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's one that's clearly in the minority here.  Beane himself today said he think the Bills are behind both Cincy and KC in the AFC.

Of course he’d have to say that because they lost the game. What’s he going to say ; they’re ahead of Cincinnati? Do I believe they’re vastly different in talent ? No. I doubt Beane  thinks he needs 4 1st round picks to beat the Bengals either.  Thanks for letting me know I’m entitled to my own opinion. 

50 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I agree but this is season #2 that has ended on bad coaching.  The first time we played KC in the AFCCG I do feel we were not as good as them on a team level.

So if we keep these same coaches how many chances do they get to "get it right" in the playoffs? 

You only get so many years, wasting them on unprepared coaches is unacceptable. 

They need to make some changes to the staff , mostly to the defensive side imo. They’ve been mostly disappointing on defense in the playoffs thus far. 

I think the combination of Von Miller and Micah Hyde's injuries were the keys to the season.

I think you can make up for lack of pass rush production if you have an elite secondary, and you can make up for lack of an elite secondary with good pass rush production. When you lack both, though, it shows.

I think that if Hyde had played all season, the Bills would have lost AT LEAST one less game, and that alone would have given them a bye week and home field in the playoffs. That may or may not have been enough to get the Bills to the Super Bowl. 

Generally speaking, it's probably overly simplistic to say that any one players being lost for the season (or even two players being lost for the season) is THE defining factor in a season. Stretches of offensive ineffectiveness, stretches of less-than-ideal Josh Allen decision making, questionable coaching decisions in big moments -- all of these can be pointed to when talking about the downfall of the 2022 season.

Still, it's hard not to think that Hyde and Miller being out played a very large role in the final outcome. Most teams can't lose two players of that quality and simply keep rolling, full steam ahead.

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Of course he’d have to say that because they lost the game. What’s he going to say ; they’re ahead of Cincinnati? Do I believe they’re vastly different in talent ? No. I doubt Beane  thinks he needs 4 1st round picks to beat the Bengals either.  Thanks for letting me know I’m entitled to my own opinion. 

Why would he have to say that?  He could be just like you and basically claim we beat ourselves, despite the fact we were physically dominated (and out coached) up and down the field.

Edited by Billz4ever

24 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Why would he have to say that?  He could be just like you and basically claim we beat ourselves, despite the fact we were physically dominated (and out coached) up and down the field.

Easy : GM speak. Humility is in order when you’ve lost , unless you want to come off as a blowhard. However, you have to read between the lines in these media type situations. He saw what happened, but I guarantee he doesn’t think he needs a whole new defensive line. An across the board terrible performance doesn’t mean everyone gets replaced. It doesn’t mean the Bengals are 17 points better than you. 

von millers was 100x bigger.

allens' was big, it seems to ahve changed his confidence, and that hurt the whole team.

in all honestly, it was hamlin's.  aside from it being a life and death situation, the team hasn't had any heart since.  maybe a motivated bills team gets beaten in cinci and then in the playoffs goes back there and wins, or at least doesn't put up the gutless stinker we did.  also keep in mind we had bad sloppy gaves vs NE and miami, at home.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.