McDermott detractors

SoMAn

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Exactly how does a Blizzard/deaths not related at all to the football team drain their energy?

It drains them as human beings, not their "energy." In tennis, the only time Rafael Nadal ever lost at the French Open in his first 10 tries, where he was unstoppable? The year his parents split up and divorced. You might not like to admit it, but the toughest people are vulnerable to things that happen off the field too.

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

We all had high expectations for the Bills this year, and now there’s all the predictable finger pointing, including the ‘fire McDermott’ camp. 
For perspective, look at the pre-McDermott teams that for years won 7 to 9 games annually and never sniffed the playoffs. 
In 6 seasons, the Bills have made the playoffs 5 times, including one season with journeyman QB Tyrod Taylor behind center. 
So, you want McD gone. For further perspective, examine future HOF coach Andy Reid’s history. As a head coach in Philly and KC, how many times did he miss the playoffs or lose in early rounds before getting to and winning a conference championship? 
The Bills somehow won 14 of 18 this season despite of a mountain of adversity. Shouldn’t McDermott get some credit for that? A few short years ago some of us would have given our eye teeth to enjoy a season with that many victories. 
So, you want to throw the baby out with the bath water? Who would you armchair GMs fill the coaching staff with? You’re ready to start over…again?

The culture created by Beane and McDermott has produced an attractive destination for free agents. A good draft, impact signings, and a healthier 2023 might be all that’s needed to get to the promised land. 
Silver lining: the Bills not winning the Super Bowl saved us from a lifetime of NFL Films highlights with the radio broadcast voiceover of Chris Brown screeching “Bills win” 3 octaves higher than a normal speaking voice. 😏

List the coaches that had a top 3 QB that never went to a super bowl? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

All I can say is this…close your eyes and imagine Josh Allen with an offensive minded HC that builds the team around him on that side of the ball. Can anyone say that wouldn’t have a chance of netting better results?

Someone could say it but it wouldn’t make it true. Granted Dilfer has a ring thanks to Ray Lewis but this team doesn’t have a Ray Lewis. 

2 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

It drains them as human beings, not their "energy." In tennis, the only time Rafael Nadal ever lost at the French Open in his first 10 tries, where he was unstoppable? The year his parents split up and divorced. You might not like to admit it, but the toughest people are vulnerable to things that happen off the field too.

did someone's parents get divorced?

It snowed a lot...

2 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Is this what Dick Jauron was talking about when he said it was hard to win in the NFL?

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

I just don't understand the anger on this board. No one wanted to lose this game. And the Bills did not play well.

But just three weeks ago, there was a consensus that no matter how the season ended, we'd be proud of the Bills and fine if they end up losing after the INSANE amount of adversity, capped by Damar Hamlin's cardiac arrest.

They finally ran out of gas and now the mob wants to burn down One Bills Drive? 

Josh didn't play well in that game either but no one is saying we should get rid of him. And rightly so.

14-4 under these circumstances does not warrant firing a head coach. Count me out of the chicken little panic because of one loss.

You can replace a HC. You can't replace franchise QBs. 

It obviously is more than just one loss. Its Peterman, its punting against the Colts, its the Houston playoff defense choke job, its 13 seconds, and now it is getting routed at home. This is a pattern of repeated failures.  

Can he get better and learn from mistakes? Can the team get healthy and retool for 2023? Nobody knows but it is reasonable to ask the question if McD is the guy to lead them to a Championship 

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I heard an interesting stat that no coach/QB combo has ever won a Super Bowl beyond the first 5 years of their partnership.   So if McDermott/Allen win the Super Bowl in the coming year(s) they would be the first ever to do it.  

The only other active combo like that is Harbaugh/Lamar...and they could be done.

The fact that there are only 2 such combos currently in the NFL shows how stupid this stat is.  Brady & Belichick actually prove the stat wrong since they won Super Bowls well into their partnership, so at least Brady/Belichick are a coach/QB combo that won a Super Bowl beyond the 1st 5 years of their partnership.  How many teams have a 5 year or more combo to begin with?  If a team isn't winning the coach or QB gets replaced, many times both.  Unless there's a franchise QB, odds of having the same QB & coach aren't very high.  Andy Reid coached a long time before he got his 1st Super Bowl win, but because Mahomes fit the 5 year window the stat is good?  

No coach has ever won a Super Bowl with 2 teams, so statistically, any team that hires Sean Payton is guaranteeing they will never win a Super Bowl as long as he's their coach if you start believing all the obscure things some clown on TV can bring up.  

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The fact that there are only 2 such combos currently in the NFL shows how stupid this stat is.  Brady & Belichick actually prove the stat wrong since they won Super Bowls well into their partnership, so at least Brady/Belichick are a coach/QB combo that won a Super Bowl beyond the 1st 5 years of their partnership.  How many teams have a 5 year or more combo to begin with?  If a team isn't winning the coach or QB gets replaced, many times both.  Unless there's a franchise QB, odds of having the same QB & coach aren't very high.  Andy Reid coached a long time before he got his 1st Super Bowl win, but because Mahomes fit the 5 year window the stat is good?  

No coach has ever won a Super Bowl with 2 teams, so statistically, any team that hires Sean Payton is guaranteeing they will never win a Super Bowl as long as he's their coach if you start believing all the obscure things some clown on TV can bring up.  

He got that stat wrong. Was on cowherd. Super Bowl winning qb / coach combo - if they haven’t WON by year 5 they won’t win beyond ……

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

I hope everyone asking for his firing and cleaning house, get what you want...

Then we will most likely be back to being below average and getting our tails kicked in every Sunday.

And you will all be back on here clamoring, complaining, whining, crying again for a new HC while McDermott is successful somewhere else.  

Edit: Grass isn't always greener on the other side...  

Without Allen, McDormant, Dorsey and Leslie are coaching HS football.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Not only that, McD has made no deliberate coaching staff changes at all despite the glaring issues come playoff time.

Players and fans aren't satisfied simply winning the division and "making the playoffs," yet McD seems to be.  His explanations are a broken record.

I think the coaches and us fans were able to delude ourselves in 2020 and 2021 by saying "the Chiefs are just better with generational talents at QB, TE and WR, but even so, we are closing the gap and were 13 seconds away from possibly marching to the Super Bowl."  That was the entire narrative heading into this season, one in which we were nearly unanimous Super Bowl favorites among the press and Vegas.  There were concerns/issues raised by the KC losses, but we had seemed to make a real effort to address them with the signing of Von and the drafting of Elam and Cook.  I think most of us were content with where we were heading into this season (outside of minor quibbles about Frazier, Dorsey's inexperience and the lack of a No. 2 WR) and didn't have too many doubts about the current state or future trajectory of the team under Beane and McDermott.  I know that was the case for me.

But Sunday changed all that as far as I'm concerned.  The Bengals might be the better team, but they aren't 17 points better than us from a talent perspective, especially not on our home turf.  Outside of our competent special teams units, we failed to show up at every other level.  Our game plans were crap, our execution was crap, our adjustments were crap and our attitude was crap.  We were undeniably underprepared to play on Sunday and that all falls on McDermott.  I think he, more than any of the players, lost his edge as a result of the Hamlin incident.  

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Agree 1

The postseason is different from the regular season.  It might as well be a different sport.

NFL history is littered with coaches who have great career W-L records, but fail miserably once January hits.

Sean McDermott is quickly heading down that same road.

His defenses are built to be safe, stop big plays, bend/don't break, and force the offense to make mistakes.  

Great plan for the 13-14 bad/mediocre QBs he faces every season.  Never works against the elite passers left over every postseason.

Sadly, this is one of the most overlooked trends in all of sports.  Teams have a really tough time parting with "winning" coaches (such as Mike McCarthy), and don't understand why they can't seem to get over the hump.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Didn’t even bothering reading your boring out of touch lecture about how we are all wrong that McDermott isn’t the guy. How you like that? He’s been bad since he punted in the snow game  6 years ago on 4th and short in a game they had to win. Please god grow a pair and get rid of this coach. 

Boom.

We have Josh Allen for 6 more years.  Do we believe that if the Bills do not win a Super Bowl in that time frame that Allen would sign here again?  I would doubt it and I would not blame him one bit.  For those of us that don't like the defense scheme, is it reasonable to think that McD could hire a different coordinator with a different defensive philosophy?  I don't think so (see Rex Ryan).  You pick people that mirror how you perceive things.  I just don't think replacing the coordinator works by itself.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You can replace a HC. You can't replace franchise QBs. 

It obviously is more than just one loss. Its Peterman, its punting against the Colts, its the Houston playoff defense choke job, its 13 seconds, and now it is getting routed at home. This is a pattern of repeated failures.  

Can he get better and learn from mistakes? Can the team get healthy and retool for 2023? Nobody knows but it is reasonable to ask the question if McD is the guy to lead them to a Championship 

No issues with the Pegulas asking that question, Ethan. They should ask that about McD and Beane after every season. But fire a head coach who had a 14-4 record? That's reckless.

Did the Bills play well after Damar Hamlin went down? No. That was 21 days ago. It's weird to me, because most of this board said they would understand if we couldn't recover.  Well, we couldn't.

Remember: half the board was convinced Brian Daboll was killing us and if they would only fire him we would be unstoppable. Turns out he wasn't the problem.

• Like (+1) 2

I think it's legitimate for McDermott to be on the hot seat, though I'd be shocked if he were fired this year.

He's a defensive head coach (not the successful trend these days) who (with his GM) put nearly all of their resources into the defense, and though they get to excellent levels of seasonal statistics, they don't look good consistently and against good teams and QBs.  Even with all the injuries the D-line by itself had two first round picks playing Sunday, with Tremaine behind them, and White and Elam at CB.  They stunk. 

Meanwhile Allen lines up with literally ZERO 1st rounders around him on offense.  Cook and Dawkins are 2nd rounders - everyone else is lower.  Want to count the former 5th rounder Stephon Diggs a first round pick they spent - (in lieu of Jefferson - ouch) that's fair Diggs makes ONE - that's it.

Part of what that means is I'm less inclined to judge Dorsey even though he left a lot to be desired.  He's working with a lot less.

Frazier needs to go.  As far as I'm concerned he cemented his dimissal with his comment last week that the first Bengals game wasn't enough of a sample size to make adjustments to.  Oh really??  They were moving up and down the field against the Bills defense for half a quarter before Hamlin went down - it was pretty obvious there were issues on how the Bills were playing D against Burrow and his collection of 1st and 2nd round WRs.

The problem with firing Frazier and not McDermott, of course, is that Frazier is running McDermott's defense.  McDermott's already confirmed to have taken over play-calling duties at least once.  If they jettisoned Frazier, does anyone think the way the defense is designed would change?

But with all the investent, the defense for years has repeatedly shown to be vulnerable to being run over by strong running games AND vulnerable to good QBs picking apart the soft zones.  If McDermott's scheme is so good, why does it need so much talent to play perfectly to be any good?  Shouldn't he be able to coach up lesser players??  Why the heck do we need two 1st rounders playing CB when we hardly ever line up in man?  

SO I could totally see Frazier being fired, but he'd be a scapegoat.  

McDermott is the Marty Schottenheimer of our times.  Not a bad coach by any means, but clearly also not a great coach likely to get to a super bowl.

9 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Did the Bills play well after Damar Hamlin went down? No. That was 21 days ago. It's weird to me, because most of this board said they would understand if we couldn't recover.  Well, we couldn't.

They looked exactly the same against Cincy before Hamlin was hurt.

9 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Remember: half the board was convinced Brian Daboll was killing us and if they would only fire him we would be unstoppable. Turns out he wasn't the problem.

He was replaced with a new OC who was the old QB coach and really didn't change that much from the prior scheme, but in fairness to both of them - the team has not invested much at all in the offense.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Coaches have been fired for way less. People in western NY are psychologically broken by the drought that are convinced you have to be married to a coach because he got you to the playoffs. Not only that but every year the coaching staff has been a big reason for the loss in the playoffs. He’s the same guy he’s always been. He hasn’t gotten better as evident as this last playoff game. He’s not a top 10 coach, and if you want to win the Super Bowl you need to be open to finding that person. And I guarantee if you can identify that person and there are plenty of options they aren’t turning this job down.  Buffalo use to be a place no one wanted to go now you would have to fight people off for not wanting to come here. I thank McDermott for his time here but enough is enough. 

Best summation so far. I will always be grateful for McDermott changing the culture. But today's NFL is based on offense. All the rules favor the offense. Sean has blatantly neglected the oline for 6 years.  If you know the best player on your team (maybe in the planet) is your qb,  wouldn't you want to surround him with everything? I know I would. Having a defensive HC is no longer an advantage.  Ask the Charger fans how much they hate Staley.  McD might be the nicest guy ever and yes he (or maybe more Josh) pulled us out of the drought.  But beyond Process, Culture & Character he's a game day train wreck. And his defensive selections have set this organization back.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, balln said:

He got that stat wrong. Was on cowherd. Super Bowl winning qb / coach combo - if they haven’t WON by year 5 they won’t win beyond ……

I'll ask this question again: How many teams have a 5 year coach/QB combo to begin with?  A team has to be winning a lot of games for both the coach & QB to stay that long without one of them being replaced. 

There were only 9 coaches who were coaching into their 5th season or longer with the same team in 2022.  Right off the bat there's a 72% chance that the Super Bowl winning coach will be one with less than 5 years on the job.  Of the remaining 4 teams, only Reid's QB has been with his team 5 years, so there's a 75% chance that this year's winner will fit the stat.  If you count Reid/Mahomes as already qualifying, it goes up to 100% this year, which still proves absolutely nothing.  

Going into this season only 8 starting QBs out of 32 (25% including Garoppolo) have been with their team 5 years or more.  There are only 4 coach/QB combos of 5 years or more-that's 12.5%. 

The percentages of 5 year coach/QB combos are so low to begin with, when you start a season with only 12.5% of the situation existing to begin with, it's pretty easy for a clown on TV to pull a stat like that out of his @ss and think it makes him look like he's uncovered something.  The natural odds are it's more likely to be a combo that's been together 5 years or less than 5 years or more since there is such a high turnover rate for coaches & QBs.     

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.