McDermott detractors

SoMAn

They finally ran out of gas and now the mob wants to burn down One Bills Drive? 

no they got out coached the entire game. Big difference. And no one wants to tell Josh Allen hey dude stop throwing the ball 30/40 yards down the field in bad conditions when we need some sustained drives. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Bob Jones said:

But as someone posted today (either in this thread or another one in here), every single SB winning head coach & QB combo won their first SB within the first five years of them working together. This season that just ended was JA & McDs 5th season.

Doesn't matter. That's a small sample size and has no bearing on the future at all.

2 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Sure, fire them all without question, General. Good luck with that team-building strategy, Mr. Maturity.

Getting your team ready to play is job requirement #1. if you can't get that right, you can't possibly get anything past that right. There was no reason for them to be unprepared, least of all "running out of gas". A player might not be 100% by the time a season ends, but if all 53+ are worn down, that's a coaching problem.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, damj said:

Josh can use his feet to get away from the rush. He has no targets outside of Knox and Diggs who can get open and catch a ball. We need WR help

Let's get real.  We need O-line, WR, DB and RB help this offseason. Beane is going to have to truly be a wizard to get this team to next year's Super Bowl with all the holes we need to fill.  If Edmunds leaves there will also be a hole at LB.  Bass is on the final year of his contract in 2023 & needs an extension.  Lots of FA's, this offseason who if they leave could create more holes.  Poyer almost certainly gone.  

• Like (+1) 2

I heard an interesting stat that no coach/QB combo has ever won a Super Bowl beyond the first 5 years of their partnership.   So if McDermott/Allen win the Super Bowl in the coming year(s) they would be the first ever to do it.  

The only other active combo like that is Harbaugh/Lamar...and they could be done.

5 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Records are meant to be broken. And Nick Wright is a loser

Nick Wright is a loser, true, but it doesn’t make what he said any less factual. I really thought the Bills’ best chance to win it all was last year. The offense was hotter than it had been at any point in Allen’s career. He was just focused and playing on another level. Could McD and Allen win a SB after year 5 together? Sure they can, but again, it’d be a historic feat - the first time in NFL history. 

6 hours ago, SoMAn said:

We all had high expectations for the Bills this year, and now there’s all the predictable finger pointing, including the ‘fire McDermott’ camp. 
For perspective, look at the pre-McDermott teams that for years won 7 to 9 games annually and never sniffed the playoffs. 
In 6 seasons, the Bills have made the playoffs 5 times, including one season with journeyman QB Tyrod Taylor behind center. 
So, you want McD gone. For further perspective, examine future HOF coach Andy Reid’s history. As a head coach in Philly and KC, how many times did he miss the playoffs or lose in early rounds before getting to and winning a conference championship? 
The Bills somehow won 14 of 18 this season despite of a mountain of adversity. Shouldn’t McDermott get some credit for that? A few short years ago some of us would have given our eye teeth to enjoy a season with that many victories. 
So, you want to throw the baby out with the bath water? Who would you armchair GMs fill the coaching staff with? You’re ready to start over…again?

The culture created by Beane and McDermott has produced an attractive destination for free agents. A good draft, impact signings, and a healthier 2023 might be all that’s needed to get to the promised land. 
Silver lining: the Bills not winning the Super Bowl saved us from a lifetime of NFL Films highlights with the radio broadcast voiceover of Chris Brown screeching “Bills win” 3 octaves higher than a normal speaking voice. 😏

It's not about the past.  I don't speak for everyone, but I'm sure the majority of Bills fans are incredibly grateful for what he's done for this organization and how he was able to bring us back into postseason contention from the depths we were for so many seasons.

The question we must ask ourselves now is do we think he's the guy that can get us to the promised land based on what we've seen the last few seasons.  If you still think he can, go with that.  Some people have a different take seeing as how we're going in the wrong direction in the post season. Reaching the AFCCG and then getting bounced in the Divisional round two consecutive years now, this year being in particularly embarrassing fashion, leads some people to the conclusion that he's taken this organization as far as he can.  

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am all for an offensive minded guru as my HC, but Pegula isn’t firing McD even if he misses the playoffs 2-3 years in a row.  So what do we end up with…

constantly losing good OC’s to HC opportunities all due to Mr Josh Allen making them look good. 

…and we get to keep McD and Frazier and the constant obsession with drafting players on the defensive side of the ball.  

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Getting your team ready to play is job requirement #1. if you can't get that right, you can't possibly get anything past that right. There was no reason for them to be unprepared, least of all "running out of gas". A player might not be 100% by the time a season ends, but if all 53+ are worn down, that's a coaching problem.

I agree with you under normal circumstances, with the normal adversity of an NFL season--injuries, tough opponents, etc.

But this season for Buffalo: deaths, a traumatic cardiac arrests, two massive blizzards, season-ending injuries to two crucial leaders, 10 road games... it was way beyond. If you can't see why many of them might be drained, I can't help you.

I'm proud of this team for what they were able to do. They never had their mojo back since Damar, ran into a very good team, and lost badly.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Let's get real.  We need O-line, WR, DB and RB help this offseason. Beane is going to have to truly be a wizard to get this team to next year's Super Bowl with all the holes we need to fill.  If Edmunds leaves there will also be a hole at LB.  Bass is on the final year of his contract in 2023 & needs an extension.  Lots of FA's, this offseason who if they leave could create more holes.  Poyer almost certainly gone.  

I completely agree ... those are all needs. I'm beating the WR drum because so much beacuse many of the posts I see focus primarily on O-Line & RB and "we can find WR help anywhere"

There's no way in hell he gets fired people! So there's that

I was pissed and disappointed just like many, time gives you perspective. He will re-evaluate and is motivated to win and improve.

Personally, I don't think they'll drop Dorsey, but they will revamp the Oline (which must be done). We'll also see another good receiver brought in. I'm willing to see what happens with these moves and it being Dorsey's second go round.

As for the defense, I think Frazier is in trouble, as is the Dline coach, and some scouts. We all have plenty of perspective on this defense now. I think McBeane had their collective heart's ripped out watching it. Know way they roll with it again.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ray Stonada said:

I agree with you under normal circumstances, with the normal adversity of an NFL season--injuries, tough opponents, etc.

But this season for Buffalo: deaths, a traumatic cardiac arrests, two massive blizzards, season-ending injuries to two crucial leaders, 10 road games... it was way beyond. If you can't see why many of them might be drained, I can't help you.

I'm proud of this team for what they were able to do. They never had their mojo back since Damar, ran into a very good team, and lost badly.  

Having Damar Hamlin back in the building should have been a source of inspiration and motivation not an excuse for fatigue.

There really is something to the 5 year rule with coach & QB together.   The below article is from mid-season 2017, so it's more than 5 years old.   But the principle continues to hold.   It also shows that alot of the close call combos, including Levy & Kelly, peaked in year 5.

If you look just at how long it takes a coach to win their first SB with a team, it's a tough stat b/c coaches don't get much more than 5 years if they don't at least reach the SB.     Chuck Noll (6 year), Tom Landry (12),  John Madden (8) and Bill Cowher (14)  And Reid (7) are the only coaches who took more than 5 years to win their first SB with a specific team.   Some in different eras than today, but all coaches were consistent winners who just took time to break through.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-coaches-and-qbs-should-divorce-after-five-years-of-not-winning/

I am definitely not ready for Bills to move on from McD.  But afer the way the playoffs ended the last 2 years, it's at least in my mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Coaches have been fired for way less. People in western NY are psychologically broken by the drought that are convinced you have to be married to a coach because he got you to the playoffs. Not only that but every year the coaching staff has been a big reason for the loss in the playoffs. He’s the same guy he’s always been. He hasn’t gotten better as evident as this last playoff game. He’s not a top 10 coach, and if you want to win the Super Bowl you need to be open to finding that person. And I guarantee if you can identify that person and there are plenty of options they aren’t turning this job down.  Buffalo use to be a place no one wanted to go now you would have to fight people off for not wanting to come here. I thank McDermott for his time here but enough is enough. 

Not only that, McD has made no deliberate coaching staff changes at all despite the glaring issues come playoff time.

Players and fans aren't satisfied simply winning the division and "making the playoffs," yet McD seems to be.  His explanations are a broken record.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

They finally ran out of gas and now the mob wants to burn down One Bills Drive? 

no they got out coached the entire game. Big difference. And no one wants to tell Josh Allen hey dude stop throwing the ball 30/40 yards down the field in bad conditions when we need some sustained drives. 

Coaching.  Get a guy who will say I dont give a ***** if its 2 yards or 100 gotta get a few firsts downs here.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lost said:

Having Damar Hamlin back in the building should have been a source of inspiration and motivation not an excuse for fatigue.

It wasn't fatigue. It was being emotionally drained. But I know, I know, there's no excuse, they're highly paid professionals, etc, etc.

Guess what? They're human, and imperfect, no matter how many times your salary they make.

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Exactly how does a Blizzard/deaths not related at all to the football team drain their energy?

Von Miller wasn't even here last year, and we have 3 young draft picks at the position. Losing multiple Safeties hurt us, but it's one position and not why we lost.

Every team has injury problems. The Bengals just lost their Left tackle for the season along with two other offensive lineman. They sure didn't look gassed/drained when they stomped all over us.

It just sounds like a super weak series of excuses that don't actually point to a legitimate reason why they were unprepared.

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

We all had high expectations for the Bills this year, and now there’s all the predictable finger pointing, including the ‘fire McDermott’ camp. 
For perspective, look at the pre-McDermott teams that for years won 7 to 9 games annually and never sniffed the playoffs. 
In 6 seasons, the Bills have made the playoffs 5 times, including one season with journeyman QB Tyrod Taylor behind center. 
So, you want McD gone. For further perspective, examine future HOF coach Andy Reid’s history. As a head coach in Philly and KC, how many times did he miss the playoffs or lose in early rounds before getting to and winning a conference championship? 
The Bills somehow won 14 of 18 this season despite of a mountain of adversity. Shouldn’t McDermott get some credit for that? A few short years ago some of us would have given our eye teeth to enjoy a season with that many victories. 
So, you want to throw the baby out with the bath water? Who would you armchair GMs fill the coaching staff with? You’re ready to start over…again?

The culture created by Beane and McDermott has produced an attractive destination for free agents. A good draft, impact signings, and a healthier 2023 might be all that’s needed to get to the promised land. 
Silver lining: the Bills not winning the Super Bowl saved us from a lifetime of NFL Films highlights with the radio broadcast voiceover of Chris Brown screeching “Bills win” 3 octaves higher than a normal speaking voice. 😏

Andy Reid didn't get a title until he left the Eagles. 

And both Reid and the Eagles ended up winning titles 

Edited by BeastMaster

Just now, Ray Stonada said:

It wasn't fatigue. It was being emotionally drained. But I know, I know, there's no excuse, they're highly paid professionals, etc, etc.

Guess what? They're human, and imperfect, no matter how many times your salary they make.

Being "emotionally drained" isn't an acceptable excuse. it's 3 hours out of a 168 hour week that they had to suck it up. If they couldn't, that's an indictment of management.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.