McDermott detractors

SoMAn

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

And then when he cant get past the Divisional Round or AFC Championship do you fire him too?

No of course not, you fire McDermott and the new HC will bring in his own Coordinators... silly

• Haha (+1) 1

Sunday was the first time I'd lost confidence in the coaching staff. They simply had no answers and sitting in the stands was just dreadful to watch. I don't think I've ever felt so hopeless at a game and i have had seasons for over 15 years (on and off)

I am sure I will get right back to cheering for them come September, but today, I am having doubts about their ability to get us over the hump 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

I give Sean McDermott a lot of credit of turning this franchise around. My main complaint is that McDermott's teams lack a physical dimension that you need to win in the playoffs. The Bengals just came into our house and punched the Bills and the whole city of Buffalo in the mouth. The team needs some more guys that play with an edge and push the rules right up to the limit, and I'm afraid that McDermott's emphasis on culture will not allow this need to be addressed. As much as we all hate him, a Christian Wilkins type of player would go a long way, but he wouldn't fit the "process."

Ya while our guys were singing kumbayah and talking about love, Cincinnati came I'm punched us in the mouth and stole our bike, and walked away with our girl.

I'm sorry this ain't a movie, and love is all great and dandy, but that's not a good motivator for a game like this.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

this is an inflection point for McDermott and Beane. If they walk away from this season thinking they just need a couple of tweaks then It is hard not to expect an even more disappointing season to come and with it the hot seat. 

Also Allen needs decide whether he wants to play a little longer and hang ‘em up or a lot longer, and then settle into playing QB differently. 

and both schemes, coordinators and the pieces there need a hard serious honest look. It’s just not good enough to keep doing the same thing and hope for a better post season 

• Like (+1) 2

I was going to say that I think McDermott is good enough, but after seeing this, I've changed my mind: Top 5 takeaways from Bills HC Sean McDermott's season-ending press conference (buffalobills.com).  I don't see any self-reflection that leads me to believe he is going to make significant changes. Sounds like more of the same old excuses.

1. How the Bengals loss forces the Bills to look in the mirror

"Unfortunately, we didn't we didn't play a very good game yesterday and a good team beat us," McDermott said. Poor Execution

"It starts and ends at the line of scrimmage, and so we've got to look at that," McDermott acknowledged. We need more Defensive Linemen

"We won't stop until we get there," McDermott said. "And that's the vision moving forward, and we're all frustrated on a day after loss in the division round, that's for sure. Extremely proud of how far this organization has come, but not satisfied." Do more of the same

3. Evaluating Ken Dorsey's first season as Bills OC

Statistically, the Bills offensive ranked atop several important categories this season. They finished second in points per game (28.4), second in total yards per game (397.6), fourth in first down percentage (36.9) and ninth in red zone TD scoring (60%). "There's a first year for everyone. And I thought Dorsey really did some good things, and there's some things that he can learn from as well. And I know this: when you're committed to a cause, and you work hard at things, and you put the team first, that you learn from experiences. And so, like all of us, we have to learn from the experience," he said. Offense is good, just need to tweak it and learn from mistakes

4. McDermott praises Tremaine Edmunds' season

"I thought he had his best year," McDermott said. "I really believe that I think you saw him grow from a leadership standpoint. You saw him grow from a performance standpoint. And I know he's just got that attitude that he wants to continue to improve." We need to keep him at any cost

5. New season, new potential positions for players

With a handful of available options to slot in at different positions throughout the secondary, the head coach was asked about possibly moving CB Christian Benford to safety next year. McDermott said that will be talked about in the evaluation process starting on Tuesday. "That's been talked about way back when we first picked up Christian and we'll just see where it goes," McDermott said. No intention of keeping Poyer

Another name that was mentioned surrounding the question of moving positions was OT Spencer Brown. After assessing Brown's performance this season, McDermott was asked if the OT could be moved inside and he responded with, "we'll see." "I don't think anything's off the table at this point," McDermott said. "He's a young player and he's very athletic. That being said, you would like to get a young player in one position and let them go and let them grow. You know, in terms of development." Forget getting better players, we'll just reshuffle what we have

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

We all had high expectations for the Bills this year, and now there’s all the predictable finger pointing, including the ‘fire McDermott’ camp. 
For perspective, look at the pre-McDermott teams that for years won 7 to 9 games annually and never sniffed the playoffs. 
In 6 seasons, the Bills have made the playoffs 5 times, including one season with journeyman QB Tyrod Taylor behind center. 
So, you want McD gone. For further perspective, examine future HOF coach Andy Reid’s history. As a head coach in Philly and KC, how many times did he miss the playoffs or lose in early rounds before getting to and winning a conference championship? 
The Bills somehow won 14 of 18 this season despite of a mountain of adversity. Shouldn’t McDermott get some credit for that? A few short years ago some of us would have given our eye teeth to enjoy a season with that many victories. 
So, you want to throw the baby out with the bath water? Who would you armchair GMs fill the coaching staff with? You’re ready to start over…again?

The culture created by Beane and McDermott has produced an attractive destination for free agents. A good draft, impact signings, and a healthier 2023 might be all that’s needed to get to the promised land. 
Silver lining: the Bills not winning the Super Bowl saved us from a lifetime of NFL Films highlights with the radio broadcast voiceover of Chris Brown screeching “Bills win” 3 octaves higher than a normal speaking voice. 😏

Allen is carrying McDermott's water. 

I don't think that it's a reach to suggest that without Allen, not only is it more of the same of those "last 20 years," but that we're in the basement of the AFC instead of on top in the penthouse.  

I view this as a 5-12 or 6-11 team without Allen.  Seriously, how many games have we won strictly because of Allen?  Maybe we're even worse than that.  

THAT should tell us how good McD is or not.  The question is how happy as fans we are to simply win the East every season, before getting ousted in the D or CCG rounds.  When's the last time that McD willfully and deliberately made a significant coaching change?  ... Never.  

It should be quite clear that his tactical coaching prowess is questionable at best.  Let's put it this way, name a coach that had a team in this past weekend's games, of 8 teams total, that was worse than McD?  I'd take any one of 'em over him.  I can probably find 20 DCs to easily choose over Frasier.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Reality is that without JA17, McD's record of "success" is nowhere near what it is now. IOW, a LOT of other head coaches likely would have had the same success with the Bills, as long as they had JA17 like McD did. And probably, a *better* coach than McD would have taken this team to the SB and/or actually won it.

This 100%.  And for JA17 I give that credit mostly to Brian Dabol.  McDermott is not the coach to get this team over the hump.

• Agree 1

McDermott needs to bulk up & play on the O-line.  If Josh wasn't scrambling on every play because of turnstiles like Brown & Saffold, the team would have played better and there would be no need for the McDermott detractors to rise from the peanut gallery and call for him to be fired.  

I just don't understand the anger on this board. No one wanted to lose this game. And the Bills did not play well.

But just three weeks ago, there was a consensus that no matter how the season ended, we'd be proud of the Bills and fine if they end up losing after the INSANE amount of adversity, capped by Damar Hamlin's cardiac arrest.

They finally ran out of gas and now the mob wants to burn down One Bills Drive? 

Josh didn't play well in that game either but no one is saying we should get rid of him. And rightly so.

14-4 under these circumstances does not warrant firing a head coach. Count me out of the chicken little panic because of one loss.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, Ray Stonada said:

I just don't understand the anger on this board. No one wanted to lose this game. And the Bills did not play well.

But just three weeks ago, there was a consensus that no matter how the season ended, we'd be proud of the Bills and fine if they end up losing after the INSANE amount of adversity, capped by Damar Hamlin's cardiac arrest.

Josh didn't play well in that game either but no one is saying we should get rid of him. And rightly so.

14-4 under these circumstances does not warrant firing a head coach. Count me out of the chicken little panic because of one loss.

Not sure I'd say anger as much as I'd say an epiphany.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

McDermott needs to bulk up & play on the O-line.  If Josh wasn't scrambling on every play because of turnstiles like Brown & Saffold, the team would have played better and there would be no need for the McDermott detractors to rise from the peanut gallery and call for him to be fired.  

Josh can use his feet to get away from the rush. He has no targets outside of Knox and Diggs who can get open and catch a ball. We need WR help

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Reality is that without JA17, McD's record of "success" is nowhere near what it is now. IOW, a LOT of other head coaches likely would have had the same success with the Bills, as long as they had JA17 like McD did. And probably, a *better* coach than McD would have taken this team to the SB and/or actually won it.

I can say the same thing the other way. For example, what is Belichick's record without Brady?  I could name most "successful" NFL coaches & the truth is that almost all have had 1 thing in common: A franchise QB.

Just now, Ray Stonada said:

I never agreed to that. "Running out of gas" is not a viable excuse for a team of professional athletes who have been put together at the highest level. In fact, I'd go so far to say that if that is what happened, everyone should be fired without question. It's completely unacceptable to not be prepared at the level these guys are at.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I never agreed to that. "Running out of gas" is not a viable excuse for a team of professional athletes who have been put together at the highest level. In fact, I'd go so far to say that if that is what happened, everyone should be fired without question. It's completely unacceptable to not be prepared at the level these guys are at.

Sure, fire them all without question, General. Good luck with that team-building strategy, Mr. Maturity.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

And then when he cant get past the Divisional Round or AFC Championship do you fire him too?

The answer is it depends. McDermott has made a lot of bone headed decisions. The way you lose your playoff games matters. We know he isn’t the guy so what are we waiting for? 

Edited by Rocbillsfan1
  • Agree 1

I think McDermott needs to probably fire Frazier and allow another defensive coordinator to come in and mix things up. Our defense is stale and requires perfect play from every position to be effective. It just seems like there is no room for error.

Change the scheme to allow more high-risk, high-reward play. Scheme up tons of pressure. Do something different.

If McDermott is not willing to change the defense up, I could be convinced that he needs to be replaced in time. I am a McDermott supporter. He makes good decisions on game day (apart from challenges) and is always aligned with analytics. He is a good leader and motivator. I'd like to see him focus on that and allow a defensive coordinator to come in and change the defense.

Eventually, though, McDermott will need to be replaced if we can't get over the hump.

On offense we need a better oline and more playmakers. It's up to Beane to get it done in the off-season and it's up to Dorsey to make the changes in the scheme needed to make it all work. He better be watching lots of KC and Cincy film to see how they are constantly able to scheme their playmakers open and implementing those concepts into our offense. And he better start FORCING Josh to take the quick throws. Enough backyard football, already. Execute an NFL offense. Take freedom away from the receivers and Allen and force those guys to run a scheme.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I can say the same thing the other way. For example, what is Belichick's record without Brady?  I could name most "successful" NFL coaches & the truth is that almost all have had 1 thing in common: A franchise QB.

But as someone posted today (either in this thread or another one in here), every single SB winning head coach & QB combo won their first SB within the first five years of them working together. This season that just ended was JA & McDs 5th season.

18 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

I hope everyone asking for his firing and cleaning house, get what you want...

Then we will most likely be back to being below average and getting our tails kicked in every Sunday.

And you will all be back on here clamoring, complaining, whining, crying again for a new HC while McDermott is successful somewhere else.  

Edit: Grass isn't always greener on the other side...  

For the record I don't think McDermott is getting fired. But if he did what makes you think the Bills go back to being lousy. The Bills job would be a very attractive job. One of the best QB's in the league, a winning team over these last 5 years. You have a new stadium in a few years.  I don't know who they would hire. That would be up to Pegula/Beane assuming he also doesn't get fired. This is all meaningless anyway because McDermott isn't getting fired this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.