McDermott detractors

SoMAn

27 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

We all had high expectations for the Bills this year, and now there’s all the predictable finger pointing, including the ‘fire McDermott’ camp. 
For perspective, look at the pre-McDermott teams that for years won 7 to 9 games annually and never sniffed the playoffs. 
In 6 seasons, the Bills have made the playoffs 5 times, including one season with journeyman QB Tyrod Taylor behind center. 
So, you want McD gone. For further perspective, examine future HOF coach Andy Reid’s history. As a head coach in Philly and KC, how many times did he miss the playoffs or lose in early rounds before getting to and winning a conference championship? 
The Bills somehow won 14 of 18 this season despite of a mountain of adversity. Shouldn’t McDermott get some credit for that? A few short years ago some of us would have given our eye teeth to enjoy a season with that many victories. 
So, you want to throw the baby out with the bath water? Who would you armchair GMs fill the coaching staff with? You’re ready to start over…again?

The culture created by Beane and McDermott has produced an attractive destination for free agents. A good draft, impact signings, and a healthier 2023 might be all that’s needed to get to the promised land. 
Silver lining: the Bills not winning the Super Bowl saved us from a lifetime of NFL Films highlights with the radio broadcast voiceover of Chris Brown screeching “Bills win” 3 octaves higher than a normal speaking voice. 😏

The pre mcdermott teams are no longer the bench mark. Congratulations on being better than Dick Jauron I guess, but I for one would like a Super bowl 

• Agree 1

McDermott is a good guy, but he seems stubborn with his perception of defense

defense that can be meh to good in regular season but completly smacked in playoffs

That's the main complain, and his unwillness to modify it will lead to zero SB win

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Coaches have been fired for way less. People in western NY are psychologically broken by the drought that are convinced you have to be married to a coach because he got you to the playoffs. Not only that but every year the coaching staff has been a big reason for the loss in the playoffs. He’s the same guy he’s always been. He hasn’t gotten better as evident as this last playoff game. He’s not a top 10 coach, and if you want to win the Super Bowl you need to be open to finding that person. And I guarantee if you can identify that person and there are plenty of options they aren’t turning this job down.  Buffalo use to be a place no one wanted to go now you would have to fight people off for not wanting to come here. I thank McDermott for his time here but enough is enough. 

He lost me last year after "13 seconds" he refused to take and ownership of it. He didn't want to talk about it or answer any questions on how it happened. His game day management has not improved and he doesn't seem willing to either change his ways or put someone else in charge of those decisions.  I come away feeling for him "The Process" is for everyone else.

It's not personal and I think he is probably a great guy and in some ways a very good coach. But he's not a great coach and has now cost us more than one look at a championship.  Allen is freak of nature that should be in or near the big game every year. McD makes it harder than it needs to be because by his actions he is not up to it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

We all had high expectations for the Bills this year, and now there’s all the predictable finger pointing, including the ‘fire McDermott’ camp. 
For perspective, look at the pre-McDermott teams that for years won 7 to 9 games annually and never sniffed the playoffs. 
In 6 seasons, the Bills have made the playoffs 5 times, including one season with journeyman QB Tyrod Taylor behind center. 
So, you want McD gone. For further perspective, examine future HOF coach Andy Reid’s history. As a head coach in Philly and KC, how many times did he miss the playoffs or lose in early rounds before getting to and winning a conference championship? 
The Bills somehow won 14 of 18 this season despite of a mountain of adversity. Shouldn’t McDermott get some credit for that? A few short years ago some of us would have given our eye teeth to enjoy a season with that many victories. 
So, you want to throw the baby out with the bath water? Who would you armchair GMs fill the coaching staff with? You’re ready to start over…again?

The culture created by Beane and McDermott has produced an attractive destination for free agents. A good draft, impact signings, and a healthier 2023 might be all that’s needed to get to the promised land. 
Silver lining: the Bills not winning the Super Bowl saved us from a lifetime of NFL Films highlights with the radio broadcast voiceover of Chris Brown screeching “Bills win” 3 octaves higher than a normal speaking voice. 😏

People keep repeating this like it's true. What adversity did they face outside of Hamlin that's unique to them?

19 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

As I posted in another thread:

How many coaches had the opportunity? more than 5?

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Didn’t even bothering reading your boring out of touch lecture about how we are all wrong that McDermott isn’t the guy. How you like that? He’s been bad since he punted in the snow game  6 years ago on 4th and short in a game they had to win. Please god grow a pair and get rid of this coach. 

So whats your answer then?  Because only 35 coaches in the history of the league have been able to win a Super Bowl.    Coaches of all types havent made it further than McDermott.   Coaches who dont punt, coaches who do punt, coaches who go for it on 4th exclusively, coaches who dont, coaches who throw it every down, coaches who dont, offensive genius, defensive genius.      Only 35 out 518 coaches in the history of the NFL have won a Superbowl.  If I am playing the odds I am keeping the guy who gets you in the dance every year rather than firing him and taking a chance on the fact that I am so smart that I can predict the next Super Bowl winning coach with a 6% chance. 

26 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Didn’t even bothering reading your boring out of touch lecture about how we are all wrong that McDermott isn’t the guy. How you like that? He’s been bad since he punted in the snow game  6 years ago on 4th and short in a game they had to win. Please god grow a pair and get rid of this coach. 

4th most cowardly punt in the NFL since 2000, according to SBNation’s “The Base”!!!

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I don't want McDermott fired.  What I want to see is some demonstration of a learning curve where he evolves his thinking and decision making based on experience and learning from similar situations.  Not a HC that keeps making blinders over and over along with being unaware or unwilling to see it and become a better decision maker.

Fair point

The biggest issues is the detractors rarely come up with a viable replacement. I'm all ears who people think be a better coaching staff for this team and why?

5 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

All I can say is this…close your eyes and imagine Josh Allen with an offensive minded HC that builds the team around him on that side of the ball. Can anyone say that wouldn’t have a chance of netting better results?

I have doubts as look at KC's playoff  game last year, trying to outscore teams in a shootout not the best way to win. The reason we've been so good in the regular season is our D and O both played better in the redzone than they did against Cincy. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

So whats your answer then?  Because only 35 coaches in the history of the league have been able to win a Super Bowl.    Coaches of all types havent made it further than McDermott.   Coaches who dont punt, coaches who do punt, coaches who go for it on 4th exclusively, coaches who dont, coaches who throw it every down, coaches who dont, offensive genius, defensive genius.      Only 35 out 518 coaches in the history of the NFL have won a Superbowl.  If I am playing the odds I am keeping the guy who gets you in the dance every year rather than firing him and taking a chance on the fact that I am so smart that I can predict the next Super Bowl winning coach with a 6% chance. 

Fire McDermott and bring in an offensive minded coach. Hell I sign about 6 different people at this point 1 being Callahan from Cinci. If you can’t beat them steal them. 

Edited by Rocbillsfan1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I hope everyone asking for his firing and cleaning house, get what you want...

Then we will most likely be back to being below average and getting our tails kicked in every Sunday.

And you will all be back on here clamoring, complaining, whining, crying again for a new HC while McDermott is successful somewhere else.  

Edit: Grass isn't always greener on the other side...  

Edited by CaliBills
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

How many coaches had the opportunity? more than 5?

That’s an interesting question. On the surface there haven’t been many long tenured coaches who have failed to get the job done. I think about Marvin Lewis, Schottenheimer, Marv Levy, Andy Reid in Philly, Im sure there are a few more, but teams usually move on, so there’s little mystery as to why the 5 year thing is real. 

EDIT: Oh and don’t look now, but this is year 5 for Shanahan in SF 👀

Edited by JayBaller10

33 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I don't want McDermott fired.  What I want to see is some demonstration of a learning curve where he evolves his thinking and decision making based on experience and learning from similar situations.  Not a HC that keeps making blinders over and over along with being unaware or unwilling to see it and become a better decision maker.

He's good in the building, but he's also a terrible in-game manager; whether it's adjustments, timeouts, 4th down decisions, challenges. Five years on, and that has remained constant.

• Agree 2

I like Mcdermott alot.  With him Buffalo wont suck.  They will most likely win division titles. The ending of the last 2 seasons are very concerning.  

Last year Buffalo wasted Super Nova Allen.  The best stretch of play of any qb in the playoffs wasted by a defense of a defensive coach.  Now this season watching Cincy use the same game plan Miami used the week before with better execution without an answer from either side of the ball.  Allen deserves better.  

Say we hire a new OC.  Hes great the offense is the best in the league.  He becomes a head coach somewhere.  Sean Payton is a strangely rare opportunity to bring in an elite offensive mind.  Bring Superbowl experience.  Does he pull it off idk?  Does Allen have the same offense and Oc for many years yes.  

I do not expect the Pegulas to pull that trigger.  I think its an interesting conversation.  I dont think having it is being reactionary.  Having the only defensive coach to make it to the divisional rd is interesting.  Watching Herbert having his 3rd Oc already and questions about Allen having his third creates a wider divide to Burrow and Mahomes who still have the same one and no end in sight.  

• Agree 1

Some of us just have a philosophical issue with a Defensive Head Coach.  

There are glaringly obvious reasons why. 

If McDermott, as a Defensive HC, can’t do more with less on Defense and can’t, under his leadership, put out a unit that can remotely slow down good offenses in the Playoffs, why is he here?   We’re already at a disadvantage Offensively with continuity. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

A value system exists for coaches, some are willing to do ANYTHING to win.

Notre dame will never win a national championship because they have academic standards that are higher than required. They value that more than just winning football games. 

a lot of McDermott’s energy seems to be spent on making sure things go or look a certain way. 

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.