McDermott detractors

SoMAn

We all had high expectations for the Bills this year, and now there’s all the predictable finger pointing, including the ‘fire McDermott’ camp. 
For perspective, look at the pre-McDermott teams that for years won 7 to 9 games annually and never sniffed the playoffs. 
In 6 seasons, the Bills have made the playoffs 5 times, including one season with journeyman QB Tyrod Taylor behind center. 
So, you want McD gone. For further perspective, examine future HOF coach Andy Reid’s history. As a head coach in Philly and KC, how many times did he miss the playoffs or lose in early rounds before getting to and winning a conference championship? 
The Bills somehow won 14 of 18 this season despite of a mountain of adversity. Shouldn’t McDermott get some credit for that? A few short years ago some of us would have given our eye teeth to enjoy a season with that many victories. 
So, you want to throw the baby out with the bath water? Who would you armchair GMs fill the coaching staff with? You’re ready to start over…again?

The culture created by Beane and McDermott has produced an attractive destination for free agents. A good draft, impact signings, and a healthier 2023 might be all that’s needed to get to the promised land. 
Silver lining: the Bills not winning the Super Bowl saved us from a lifetime of NFL Films highlights with the radio broadcast voiceover of Chris Brown screeching “Bills win” 3 octaves higher than a normal speaking voice. 😏

• Like (+1) 10
  • Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

We all had high expectations for the Bills this year, and now there’s all the predictable finger pointing, including the ‘fire McDermott’ camp. 
For perspective, look at the pre-McDermott teams that for years won 7 to 9 games annually and never sniffed the playoffs. 
In 6 seasons, the Bills have made the playoffs 5 times, including one season with journeyman QB Tyrod Taylor behind center. 
So, you want McD gone. For further perspective, examine future HOF coach Andy Reid’s history. As a head coach in Philly and KC, how many times did he miss the playoffs or lose in early rounds before getting to and winning a conference championship? 
The Bills somehow won 14 of 18 this season despite of a mountain of adversity. Shouldn’t McDermott get some credit for that? A few short years ago some of us would have given our eye teeth to enjoy a season with that many victories. 
So, you want to throw the baby out with the bath water? Who would you armchair GMs fill the coaching staff with? You’re ready to start over…again?

The culture created by Beane and McDermott has produced an attractive destination for free agents. A good draft, impact signings, and a healthier 2023 might be all that’s needed to get to the promised land. 
Silver lining: the Bills not winning the Super Bowl saved us from a lifetime of NFL Films highlights with the radio broadcast voiceover of Chris Brown screeching “Bills win” 3 octaves higher than a normal speaking voice. 😏

I agree with almost everything you said. But I'd take A Bills Super Bowl win and the NFL Films highlights everyday and 10 times on Sunday. I'd even put the highlights with Chris Brown on a loop. 

• Like (+1) 8

Didn’t even bothering reading your boring out of touch lecture about how we are all wrong that McDermott isn’t the guy. How you like that? He’s been bad since he punted in the snow game  6 years ago on 4th and short in a game they had to win. Please god grow a pair and get rid of this coach. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 8

I give Sean McDermott a lot of credit of turning this franchise around. My main complaint is that McDermott's teams lack a physical dimension that you need to win in the playoffs. The Bengals just came into our house and punched the Bills and the whole city of Buffalo in the mouth. The team needs some more guys that play with an edge and push the rules right up to the limit, and I'm afraid that McDermott's emphasis on culture will not allow this need to be addressed. As much as we all hate him, a Christian Wilkins type of player would go a long way, but he wouldn't fit the "process."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

McDermott has done well in Buffalo, but if you think this staff should have a permanent job because the team sucked for so long, well you are wrong, that simple.

McDermott should at least be firing some coordinators and position coaches. Absolutely no way tou are that unprepared for that big of a game and just go "things happen" and move on.

If you are cool with losing because it happened so often previously, that's good for you. I'm not.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I don't want McDermott fired.  What I want to see is some demonstration of a learning curve where he evolves his thinking and decision making based on experience and learning from similar situations.  Not a HC that keeps making blunders over and over along with being unaware or unwilling to see it and become a better decision maker.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Reality is that without JA17, McD's record of "success" is nowhere near what it is now. IOW, a LOT of other head coaches likely would have had the same success with the Bills, as long as they had JA17 like McD did. And probably, a *better* coach than McD would have taken this team to the SB and/or actually won it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As I posted in another thread:

Nick Wright had an interesting stat on First Take that I was unaware of… every HC and QB combo that has ever won a Super Bowl has done so within their first 5 seasons together. Every single one. Which means if McD and Allen go on to win a Super Bowl at some point, they’ll be the first in the history of the NFL to ever do so after 5 seasons (this year was season 5 for them). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

McDermott reminds me of Doug Collins ex-coach of the Chicago Bulls. Nice guy and I'm sure his players like him. His team is always good  in the regular season but early exits in the NBA playoffs. He can't seem to beat the Pistons or Celtics in the playoffs even when he had the GOAT of all time Michael Jordan. After Doug Collins left the Bulls team, his assistant coach Phil Jackson took over. And guess what, Jordan won all those titles.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

Just now, All_Pro_Bills said:

I don't want McDermott fired.  What I want to see is some demonstration of a learning curve where he evolves his thinking and decision making based on experience and learning from similar situations.  Not a HC that keeps making blinders over and over along with being unaware or unwilling to see it and become a better decision maker.

I honestly believed he had made great strides in this direction until the last two weeks, where he seemed to push all the wrong buttons.  I think his seat should deservedly get a little warmer, but I'm not ready to fire the guy.  I haven't forgotten the long cold winter that was 2000-2017.  If and when we move on from McDermott, Beane/Pegula better be certain they're bringing in someone as good or better.  Otherwise, we are just setting ourselves up for the next cycle of prolonged misery.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

It doesn't matter what the coa hing success was before McD. Does it matter that Bill Walsh was great in the past when deciding if Shanahan is good enough for the 49ers to win the SuperBowl. These past comparisons are irrelevant to the decision at hand. 

The decision is would another HC do better with the roster we have now? Or would new coordinators with the same HC do better? What Doug Marrone did or didn't do with the roster he had is irrelevant. 

• Like (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

McDermott has done well in Buffalo, but if you think this staff should have a permanent job because the team sucked for so long, well you are wrong, that simple.

McDermott should at least be firing some coordinators and position coaches. Absolutely no way tou are that unprepared for that big of a game and just go "things happen" and move on.

If you are cool with losing because it happened so often previously, that's good for you. I'm not.

Coaches have been fired for way less. People in western NY are psychologically broken by the drought that are convinced you have to be married to a coach because he got you to the playoffs. Not only that but every year the coaching staff has been a big reason for the loss in the playoffs. He’s the same guy he’s always been. He hasn’t gotten better as evident as this last playoff game. He’s not a top 10 coach, and if you want to win the Super Bowl you need to be open to finding that person. And I guarantee if you can identify that person and there are plenty of options they aren’t turning this job down.  Buffalo use to be a place no one wanted to go now you would have to fight people off for not wanting to come here. I thank McDermott for his time here but enough is enough. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Coaches have been fired for way less. People in western NY are psychologically broken by the drought that are convinced you have to be married to a coach because he got you to the playoffs. Not only that but every year the coaching staff has been a big reason for the loss in the playoffs. He’s the same guy he’s always been. He hasn’t gotten better as evident as this last playoff game. He’s not a top 10 coach, and if you want to win the Super Bowl you need to be open to finding that person. And I guarantee if you can identify that person and there are plenty of options they aren’t turning this job down.  Buffalo use to be a place no one wanted to go now you would have to fight people off for not wanting to come here. I thank McDermott for his time here but enough is enough. 

100%, like I said, I would give McDermott one more year, but his coordinators heads would roll. If new coordinators produced the same result, he could leve with them after next season. 

• Agree 1

like there should be room for legitimate criticism of everyone in that building, and especially the head ball coach. And I'm a McDermott fan. There's a lot of things you can question him on. There's a lot of answers, but nevertheless a lot of questions

18 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Didn’t even bothering reading your boring out of touch lecture about how we are all wrong that McDermott isn’t the guy. How you like that? He’s been bad since he punted in the snow game  6 years ago on 4th and short in a game they had to win. Please god grow a pair and get rid of this coach. 

Love this. 

Thank you

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2

11 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

I appreciate that he is a good guy and a team morale guy.....but thats all he is.

Everyone is getting it right. Offensive mind is the only way to go.

2 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

McDermott reminds me of Doug Collins ex-coach of the Chicago Bulls. Nice guy and I'm sure his players like him. His team is always good  in the regular season but early exits in the NBA playoffs. He can't seem to beat the Pistons or Celtics in the playoffs even when he had the GOAT of all time Michael Jordan. After Doug Collins left the Bulls team, his assistant coach Phil Jackson took over. And guess what, Jordan won all those titles.

He is Tom thibodeau. Defensive coach that brought credibility to the franchise after being a laughing stock for a long time. He had Derek rose like Josh Allen who was the entire offense and had to shoulder all the offensive workload. 

thibs had a good defensive system and it worked in the regular season but every playoff series he was exposed at being the inferior coach and he refused stubbornly to make adjustments. Derek rose as a result ended up getting hurt because he was asked to do too much. Sound familiar? Josh Allen injured his arm in the pocket this year because the offensive gameplan doesn’t involve getting the ball out of his hands.

bulls fans were the same and thought how can we fire the guy that restored order and brought us to the eastern conference finals. eventually it was obvious he was part of the problem and was let go. Guess what thibs never did anything of real importance after that. Same will be for McDermott. He’s not a top coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.