Are the Bills committed to Ed Oliver in 2023?

LabattBlue

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

$10 million cap space is a lot more valuable than the 100th pick in the draft.

The way I look at is if you don’t like a player enough to sign him long term then move him out so you can sign a player you do like long term, like Yannick Ngakoue.

Don’t wait for him to walk and don’t let him eat a large chunk of the cap if he isn’t a player you like long term.

I think I would prefer Ed in a contract year … I think you might be surprised at how he plays this year 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

You like Ngakoue long term?  Shirley.

For multiple years, yes. I want all the pass rushers. We’ve been flirting with Yannick for a couple years now. 

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think I would prefer Ed in a contract year … I think you might be surprised at how he plays this year 

It would definitely be a surprise. People have been making excuses for Oliver since after his freshman season at Houston.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think you might be right, but good year or not, his next contract will likely not be with the Bills, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I hope so. Oliver doesn't suck. He is a good player but doesn't live up to the standards of a top 10 pick. He struggles with consistency and often isn't dominant and or seemingly disappears in some games. 

Hope the Bills can get a more consistent player this year. If not, I think Oliver's days as a Bill will end this year. 

42 minutes ago, Special K said:

I think you might be right, but good year or not, his next contract will likely not be with the Bills, IMO.

Yes.. it will be a situation like Edmonds...Hopefully he has a good last year and they get a third round comp pick...

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It would definitely be a surprise. People have been making excuses for Oliver since after his freshman season at Houston.

Like Edmonds...

24 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yes.. it will be a situation like Edmonds...Hopefully he has a good last year and they get a third round comp pick...

Like Edmonds...

3rd round comp is virtually guaranteed as long as we don’t spend in UFA.

There are similarities between Oliver and Edmunds, only difference is Edmunds improved with a true 1T DT in front of him. Oliver didn’t do much with Jones next to him.

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

depends. are you a team with money to spend or are you not. 

You’d have a lot more to spend if you actually got impact players in the draft… 

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

They're getting a 3rd round pick for him which is likely the same or better than what they would have gotten for him in a trade last offseason. Plus they got the best year of his career in the middle of their Super Bowl window. In what way did they mismanage that situation?

You HOPE they get a third.  Secondarily, you could have extended him for 13-14M a year and gotten long term gain on all the time you spent developing him, plus a major over investment in picks to get him.   Or you could have traded him, free’d up cap space and went after a more impactful player.

13 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

You HOPE they get a third.

No, they'll get a 3rd. It's pretty much guaranteed at this point. My understanding is that as long as Keenum and Singletary make their respective teams nothing else can stop us from getting that comp pick. Beane said as much earlier in the offseason.

15 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Secondarily, you could have extended him for 13-14M a year and gotten long term gain on all the time you spent developing him, plus a major over investment in picks to get him.

This is a good example of the sunk cost fallacy. You don't spend more time and money on a player just because of the time and money you've spent so far. Letting Edmunds walk in free agency was an easy decision. He plays a non-premium position and has never been a game changing type of player. For a team paying a franchise QB there was no chance we were ever going to extend him.

16 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Or you could have traded him, free’d up cap space and went after a more impactful player.

What impactful player did we miss out on last year because of Edmunds' $12.7 million cap hit?

On 1/24/2023 at 9:16 AM, LabattBlue said:

For some reason I thought he was a FA, but according to spotrac he is under contract to the tune of a ~11m cap hit. 😱

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/ed-oliver-29044/

Are the Bills committed to Ed Oliver in 2023?

YES- the bills guaranteed his entire 2023 salary of $10.75 mil (5th yr option)

until they aren't.....of course he is available for the right deal.....say, in a trade for Dhop

he's likely staying.....look for Oliver to have his best year yet....he has a big chip on his shoulder for his next contract

then depart next year in free agency  like edmunds and hope for a comp pick

I lived in Houston for a couple of years when I was a kid in the 80s. I would’ve gone to the same high school that Ed went to (Westfield), so I’ve always rooted for him a little extra. 

The bills rotate their defensive lines so often, at most he gets 60% of the defensive snaps, so I don’t think he’s ever going to have a monster statistical season. Still, the numbers are a little underwhelming, especially since he rightfully gets compared to Quinnen Williams who got drafted in the same year by a divisional rival. Quinnen Williams had 12 sacks last year. 

If Ed miraculously breaks out and has 9 1/2 sacks and 12 TFLs, the Bills couldn’t let him walk. At the very least, they’d franchise tag him, and make him play under the tag or trade him to recoup some value - at least I hope. 

Maybe they secretly like Ed having to play for his contract, though I don’t think I’ve ever read any reports about him being out of shape, not working hard, or being unmotivated since he’s been with the bills. He also seems like a good teammate. 

This year I’m hoping that Oliver is finally the monster he was supposed to be. Go Ed! Go Bills!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/24/2023 at 7:16 AM, LabattBlue said:

For some reason I thought he was a FA, but according to spotrac he is under contract to the tune of a ~11m cap hit. 😱

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/ed-oliver-29044/

They picked up his 5th year option which has locked them into paying more money than what his out put is worth . I was hoping that they could have traded him before the deadline & get rid of his contract to open up more cap space & grab a couple FA's of the money they are paying him but it din't happen .

So we can only hope he plays his ass off for a new much bigger contract i don't believe the Bills will be willing to pay him what he thinks he is worth . Good thing it looks as if the Bills will have 10 draft picks next season & after this one they will be able to find out about the other DE's on the team & be able to trade or release them .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.