Are the Bills committed to Ed Oliver in 2023?

LabattBlue

3 hours ago, mannc said:

I just don’t know how you take an undersized, small conference guy like Oliver over a monster like Dexter Lawrence, who was the centerpiece of a championship defense at Clemson.  It points to a serious flaw in the Bills’ scouting process and evaluation…

IIRC, Lawrence failed a PEE test and was held out of the college playoffs…. and Simmons wasn’t invited to the combine after a video leaked out of him hitting a woman and he took a plea deal for assault. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

IIRC, Lawrence failed a PEE test and was held out of the college playoffs…. and Simmons wasn’t invited to the combine after a video leaked out of him hitting a woman and he took a plea deal for assault. 

I don't know if any of that is true; I never heard about it pre-draft, but of course Simmons had an ACL injury that hurt his draft status.  What I do know is that both are now game-wreckers and the next game lil' Ed changes will be his first.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Is anybody going to take into account the fact that he was injured the whole year

Is anybody going to take into account that we are all ***** sick and tired of waiting 9 years for any of our draft picks to turn into something they are never going to be?

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

If you were an NFL GM, what would you trade for Ed Oliver and his one year, fully guaranteed $10.75M contract?

If I was the GM of the Bears?  Yes.  Why not?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Is anybody going to take into account that we are all ***** sick and tired of waiting 9 years for any of our draft picks to turn into something they are never going to be?

This. I stated this before and this regime needs to either draft better or let its rookies grow and learn sooner.

We can't get one year of useful production out of a pick. It makes this model unsustainable.

1 hour ago, damj said:

If you have the cap room and have a need at DT, there is enough there with him for an organization to think that they could get more out of him. As a GM, I would offer a 3rd round pick, but go as high as a 2.

Wow, that’s a very good return. But if you value him as highly as a Day 2 pick, why would you want trade him away?

If I were a GM in need of a 3T I’d go to the FA market first. If that dried up or if I lost my 3T to injury during the season but before the trade deadline I’d look at trading for a player like Oliver. But he’s a pretty expensive one year rental so I’d need to be in dire straits to cough up a Day 2 pick. I’d be more inclined to trade a comparable player with a similar contract if it was prior to the season starting. 

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

If I was the GM of the Bears?  Yes.  Why not?

That’s a reasonable thought as they certainly could use an upgrade at DT. But they’re likely more interested in longer term and cheaper solutions to their many needs. Or more proven players if they’re that expensive. You might be able to find a GM who will take a chance on such a highly drafted player, but it’ll be tough sledding with his contract. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s a reasonable thought as they certainly could use an upgrade at DT. But they’re likely more interested in longer term and cheaper solutions to their many needs. Or more proven players if they’re that expensive. You might be able to find a GM who will take a chance on such a highly drafted player, but it’ll be tough sledding with his contract. 

They have the most cap space in the league and no one to spend it on.  They aren't going to get a player in the 4th round better than Oliver. If he has a solid year, they can extend him at a reasonable salary.  If he plays like a top 10 pick is supposed to, they can pay him the big bucks.  It makes total sense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Beane overvalues draft picks and then wastes them. 

While I agree my bet is you could find a team willing to give up a 3rd, then what is the point. Giving up a starting DT for a 3rd round pick? So basically Oliver for Terrell Bernard??? No thanks. I will take Oliver back on a 5th yr guarantee over a 3rd round pick. 

It's the money though. I think we're better off getting what we can for him and spend the money elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They have the most cap space in the league and no one to spend it on.  They aren't going to get a player in the 4th round better than Oliver. If he has a solid year, they can extend him at a reasonable salary.  If he plays like a top 10 pick is supposed to, they can pay him the big bucks.  It makes total sense.

You took the words right out of my mouth

I like Oliver, but so far he hasn't shown that he deserves the big bucks. Maybe Beane can trade him for a day 2 pick or something.

On a side note, I'm curious to see if Basham could transition to 3-tech and take over Oliver's role. He is too stiff to play the edge imo, but is still a freak athlete. I think he could put on a little weight, and do well there.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I don't know if any of that is true; I never heard about it pre-draft, but of course Simmons had an ACL injury that hurt his draft status.  What I do know is that both are now game-wreckers and the next game lil' Ed changes will be his first.

They certainly are. I’m of the opinion that you probably need to take a chance on a few guys who are high end talent over character, injury, experience concerns coming out if you want to find difference makers outside of the top 10-20. Rousseau is an example of that as well with his Covid year off. 

Simmons…

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2019/04/26/titans-jeffery-simmons-video/3585708002/

Lawrence…

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2018/12/24/clemson-dexter-lawrence-drug-test-ostarine-fail-college-football-playoff

6 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I think Beane's problem is that they feel their coaching staff can mold a talent to be great. Epenesa and Basham are prime examples to me. Like spit shining some shoes. 

You're not wrong, but it should be pointed out that the absolute BIGGEST and MAIN reason that the Bills are contenders right now is because in one particular and very important instance, the coaching staff DID mold a raw talent to be great.

Edited by Logic

7 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

For some reason I thought he was a FA, but according to spotrac he is under contract to the tune of a ~11m cap hit. 😱

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/ed-oliver-29044/

trade him and the salary for this season. He won’t be resigned after this upcoming season so mind as well get a 3rd rounder for him.

he had 1 pressure against a backup oline.

• 3 months later...

The worst part of the Oliver pick?

We passed on 3 much better DT in Dexter Lawrence, J Simmons and C Wilkins

Let some other team overpay for this useless bum 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 2

On 1/24/2023 at 9:58 AM, LabattBlue said:

I just looked at the 1st round of that draft a few days ago. 4 DT taken within 10 picks of each other, the Bills chose first, and got the worst of the 4. 😞

There’s a reason for “prototypical” size in players.  I didn’t understand that pick at the time and unfortunately, the Bills were not smarter than everyone else.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Oliver has been inconsistent but when he’s active and penetrating he resembles Aaron Donald. He’s in his walk year so expect tremendous effort from him. NFL players make the most money with the second contract especially if they stick with the team for five seasons.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.