Bill O’Brien - thoughts about him as OC?

dave mcbride

Creative former Patriots offensive coach for a very successful offense who also did a two-year stint at Alabama, where his offense was criticized for being ever-so-slightly underwhelming relative to the year before he arrived. Sound familiar? I doubt it will happen because I expect McDermott to give Dorsey a pass. But I am throwing it out there given the noise that the Pats may go after him and because I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by Dorsey despite the #2 ranking. As Joe B says in his Athletic article, the window ain’t gonna be open long and McDermott got rid of Dennison after one season.  If I’m O’Brien and were presented with the option, working with Josh Allen would be a far more attractive proposition than working with Mac Jones. (Also, small point: like Daboll, who has an engineering degree from the U of Rochester, O’Brien is presumably a book-smart guy given that he graduated from Brown.)

To reiterate, I strongly doubt this happens given McDermott’s history with assistants (excepting Dennison, who was actually terrible) and the excuse making that’s currently going on inside the organization regarding this season’s outcome.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

I see BOB in the same mold as coaches like Doug Marrone and Butch Davis. Very competent coaches that are constantly chasing the last dollar and more power so they can get more dollars. Chasing dollars definitely takes precedent over character or morality for that group. Really a very good coach but a mercenary and a watch-your-back guy to have in the organization. That’s my 2¢. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Creative former Patriots offensive coach for a very successful offense who also did a two-year stint at Alabama, where his offense was criticized for being ever-so-slightly underwhelming relative to the year before he arrived. Sound familiar? I doubt it will happen because I expect McDermott to give Dorsey a pass. But I am throwing it out there given the noise that the Pats may go after him and because I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by Dorsey despite the #2 ranking. As Joe B says in his Athletic article, the window ain’t gonna be open long and McDermott got rid of Dennison after one season.  If I’m O’Brien and were presented with the option, working with Josh Allen would be a far more attractive proposition than working with Mac Jones. (Also, small point: like Daboll, who has an engineering degree from the U of Rochester, O’Brien is presumably a book-smart guy given that he graduated from Brown.)

To reiterate, I strongly doubt this happens given McDermott’s history with assistants (excepting Dennison, who was actually terrible) and the excuse making that’s currently going on inside the organization regarding this season’s outcome.

See i'm not sure, when he got rid of Dennison he used nearly the exact same line regarding his future with the team in the end of season press conference. Something along the lines of, he wasn't going to get in to it. Thought that was interesting.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Not going to happen! Just been announced up here Bill O Brian is now the Pats OC.  Which makes me happy, means we will finally know what Jones is one way or the other.

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Bill O’Brien is more qualified than Dorsey that’s a fact.

Dont see him leaving Alabama and coming here. Not the biggest fan but it would be an improvement.

I am all but 100% certain that he will not be back at Alabama. His contract expires in February and I don't see any scenario in which he stays in Tuscaloosa. None whatsoever.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Creative former Patriots offensive coach for a very successful offense who also did a two-year stint at Alabama

So are we supposed to overlook his Homelander act as football czar with the Texans.  

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/the-four-sides-to-bill-obriens-time-in-houston-11500351

The Bills would need to triple the doorways widths at OBD to let his ego pass through. Doesn't play well in the sandbox or with others.  Legendary dust ups with Brady and JJ Watt - a couple of first ballot HOFers.   Not to mention a couple 21 point losses in divisional round as flags on his resume.  

His offense at Houston was always rated in mid teens even with Watson.  Easy pass for me.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, freddyjj said:

So are we supposed to overlook his Homelander act as football czar with the Texans.  

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/the-four-sides-to-bill-obriens-time-in-houston-11500351

The Bills would need to triple the doorways widths at OBD to let his ego pass through. Doesn't play well in the sandbox or with others.  Legendary dust ups with Brady and JJ Watt - a couple of first ballot HOFers.   Not to mention a couple 21 point losses in divisional round as flags on his resume.  

His offense at Houston was always rated in mid teens even with Watson.  Easy pass for me.  

Doesn’t matter. He just signed with the Pats.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I said the same thing and I agree. O’Brien is also very comparable to Daboll in that he runs the Erhardt Perkins system which is what Allen is very familiar with and has excelled at during his time with Daboll. He also will bring symmetry with the running game because Dorsey seems to like heavily in that department. 

18 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

There's a difference in being a coordinator than being a head coach who makes personnel decisions. He f'ed up that organization bad, but he did take and won a playoff game with them as well.

Edited by Ghost_002!

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Said this about Dennison…

And then said this, after this season…

Find that very interesting. No support for either whatsoever.

I think we need a change at both coordinators. Dorsey isn't good enough and with the defense, i think a change in philosophy is needed, similar to getting Wade after Corey.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.