Stanley cup vs Lombardi trophy

Turbo44

The Sabres have been a ton of fun to watch grow and develop over the last 2 seasons.  They are not knocking on the door of a championship but you can see them growing and gaining confidence with each other.  They won many of the 'big games' like the outdoor game vs. Toronto, Eichel's first return game, both RJ games, and most recently the Ryan Miller game.  If they can find a way to sneak into the playoffs, there is good reason to believe they could do some damage.  I don't think there's a team in the East that would want to play them in the first round.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Stanley Lombardi, hell of a guy, I think he played for MoTown…, 

5 hours ago, Draconator said:

Damon Levi will be here next year, if not after Northeastern finishes up early. He went back in order to try to win the NCAA Championship. 

Levi will be the best goalie the Sabres have had since Ryan Miller, if not Hasek.

Levi will probably need a year of seasoning in the ahl

most college goaltenders even great ones take time to adjust… And yeah he’s a great pipeline goaltender with potential… he’s not a sure fire too 5 nhl goalie 

He has a long way to go to be hall of fame Ryan Miller and Hašek… Realistically he never reaches that height

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

18 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Was talking amongst a bunch of people and we all think with the Sabres youth, The chances of a cup happening before an Lombardi are likely. Sabres have Dahlin, Bills have Allen. McDermott retreats under pressure in the playoffs, and Frazier is a coward

Granato - who knows?

thoughts?

i’d die for either But hurting for Allen badly right now

You're nuts.  It is 10 times harder to win a Cup than win a SB.

If the Bills can't do it first, something is seriously wrong with McDermott and his staff.

I was going to post something along these lines but in the affirmative - Sabres win the Cup before Bills win the Super Bowl.  Bills broke my heart this year.  Really thought this was the year.  But looking at the Sabres, you can see a championship team in embryo.  Superstars (Dahlin, Thompson), potential superstars (Cozens, Power), potential supporting stars (Quinn, Petreka), role players (Tuch, Skinner, Mule, Olafsson).  It seems strange that a team that hasn't made the playoffs since 2011 may win a championship before a team that has made the playoffs four years in a row (including an appearance in the AFC Championship game) but Sabres are going to be primed for a run in another year or two.  Tons of cap space, loaded with prospects and draft choices.  Plus their needs are fairly obvious and not that difficult to fill - some grit and muscle up front and at least another veteran physical defenseman.  Of course, the wild card is goalie.  UPL?  Levi?  Bring a vet in?  Nothing is guaranteed of course.  Tampa Bay had a group of superstars and the best goalie in the world and they didn't win the Cup until they adde some grit up front and some muscle on the backend.  

The Bills season is still a mystery to me.  Crush defending Super Bowl champs on the road, crush Titans, lost the flukiest of fluke games at Miami, beat a good Ravens team on the road (remember the narrative we couldn't win close games), crush Steelers, solid win at Kansas City, bye and cruising past Green Bay at the half in what looks like another beat down.  At that point they were clearly the best team in the league (maybe argument from the Eagles).  Then the second half of the GB game and the rest of the season.  Not a single game did they look dominant or like a Super Bowl winner.  What was their most complete game post- Green Bay?  Road win at New England?

I'm in agreement with almost every poster here on what do to going forward.  Fix the offensive line.  Number one priority.  I thought Spencer Brown would be Pro Bowl caliber going into his third season.  Uh, wrong.  I can't believe how badly he played this year.  Can you move him inside to guard?  I don't even think we need receivers or running backs if we legitimately fix the OL.  Davis will be in contract year. Shakir will start.  If Allen has time and a running game, we'll be fine.

On defense, Frazier has to go.  Bend but don't break isn't going to win a championship.  Remember the St. Louis Rams "Greatest Show on Turf".  Their defense was all that great (quick, name a defensive player from that team other than London Fletcher) but it was designed to compliment the offense.  The Rams offense took a lead and the other team was forced to play catch up. Rams D pressed looking for turnovers.  If it got beat deep, so be it.  Just got the ball back into their offense's hands quicker.  That's the route we need to take.  Aggressive D that takes chances - exactly opposite of Frazier's D.  Cap isn't insurmountable but it's a difficult road for the Bills.  I'll take the Sabres winning the Cup in 2025 - 2026.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

You're nuts.  It is 10 times harder to win a Cup than win a SB.

If the Bills can't do it first, something is seriously wrong with McDermott and his staff.

4 wins at most to win Super Bowl championship. 15 to win Stanley Cup I believe ? 

7 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Stanley cup is just not on the superbowl level 

In the hierarchy of professional sports championships:

1 Super Bowl

2 World Series 

3 NBA championship

4 Stanley Cup 

It’s funny How after a decade of futility the Sabres bandwagon is back open

And yes they have a lot of young talent

They’re absolutely not as good as the Buffalo Bills are rn … As evidence by five playoffs in six years… An AFC title game appearance

And having Joshua Patrick Allen

The Sabres conference is loaded… Even with all their young talent they’re gonna have a tougher time making a cup run than the bills rn

The sabres have a bright bright future but their conference is a meat grinder … the bills have a easier rode rn 

Edited by Buffalo716

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.