Coaching Malpractice - Frazier Needs to be fired - the play that illustrates it

Long Suffering Fan

18 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Third and 4 (see below).  You all remember it.  This play is important for two reasons:

1.  It shows a complete lack of defensive situational awareness on what can be given up on a play.

2.  It is the exact same mistake that was made during 13 seconds.  On this play, they are guarding the end zone, but will easily give up the first down.  On 13 seconds, we were guarding the end zone, but willing to give up the two quick plays needed for a field goal.

It is actually worse because this play typified our defensive philosophy for most of the day.  I'm a level headed guy who does not normally call for firings (as if that matters), but this is beyond belief.  There is simply no excuse to give so much space in this situation.  I know I am not an expert.  In my mind, this only makes it worse.  Like probably half of Bills fandom, I was yelling at my screen before the snap.  Shouldn't an expert been able to see what we all saw?

I can be patient:

Trey - He wasn't what he was last year, but at least I can have hope that he will be back to his old self next year.

Poyer - Not his best game, but he was playing with Hyde, Hamlin, Marlowe, Johnson so I'll cut him some slack that he couldn't be himself.

Dorsey - Not happy with him, but I can at least talk myself into the fact that this was his first year as a coordinator.

But with Frazier I can have absolutely no confidence that he has learned how ridiculously bad this is.  Last year I was hoping that he would be hired away from us.  This year I don't think I have any hope of that.  

He's smarter than me, he knows more about defense than I ever will, yada, yada, but you don't have to work for NASA to realize that spacecraft need to be air tight. 

Third and Four (800 x 543).jpg

Don't sell yourself short.  They're normal people who most likely would struggle to do what you do for a living.  It's a game.  Once you understand the rules, matchups and concepts, it's not brain surgery.  In the not for long league, I'd say the emperor is missing his clothes more often than not.  Just look at the turnover and how some of these guys handle thoughtful questions from the media.   

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, billieve420 said:

McDermott comes from Jim Johnson 4-3 attacking type system. I still believe it is more about the play caller versus system itself. McDermott should be on hot seat next year and take on calling plays. I just can’t see anything changing much if things remain status quo. Hopefully someone hires Frazier to be their HC but don’t see that happening.

Yeah im aware he learned under jim johnson but his scheme is very different. His defense atleast since Carolina has been a cover 3 zone based system with pressure expected to come from the front 4 ..fraziers background is in Tampa 2 ..they run nickel based zone defences more than any team in the nfl since they've been here.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Einstein said:

Normally i’d agree, but in this particular situation, the OP’s photo really does tell the truth.

The Bills lined up 10 yards off the ball and never moved. Even after the snap. Tre only moved after the ball was caught.

So incredibly easy to beat.

Here is a photo after the snap.

3-F17-C7-BB-8-AF6-4-BEC-A7-F4-B45093-CD9

I hate to say it because of all the resources put into the defensive line, but the lack of a pass rush is what makes this that much easier to beat. All the defense needs is 1 guy to force the QB to move off of his spot and it’s not an easy play. 

8 hours ago, Billl said:

From a coaching standpoint, yes.  White was in position to tackle Chase short of a first down.  That’s all a coach can do.  If your best CB misses a tackle, you’ve got a personnel issue.

I disagree, tre was 4 yards past the marker, about 8-9 yard cushion on chase that only needs 4 yards with a quick trigger QB on a zero blitz, absolute no brainer for burrow, watch the all 22, burrow stares down chase pre snap to completion. Not to mention your asking your CB that's a bad tackler to come down hill make a tackle at the marker instead of playing up and playing the ball that's his strength.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Bills were playing as if they were simply hoping Bengals would drop the ball or make a mistake instead of trying to force them to make a mistake.

I think in this game had Allen and Co. played well and maybe even scored 27 points, Bills still would have lost. 

21 hours ago, Einstein said:

Normally i’d agree, but in this particular situation, the OP’s photo really does tell the truth.

The Bills lined up 10 yards off the ball and never moved. Even after the snap. Tre only moved after the ball was caught.

So incredibly easy to beat.

Here is a photo after the snap.

3-F17-C7-BB-8-AF6-4-BEC-A7-F4-B45093-CD9

I see 4 players that could’ve got the first down. Easy…. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I disagree, tre was 4 yards past the marker, about 8-9 yard cushion on chase that only needs 4 yards with a quick trigger QB on a zero blitz, absolute no brainer for burrow, watch the all 22, burrow stares down chase pre snap to completion. Not to mention your asking your CB that's a bad tackler to come down hill make a tackle at the marker instead of playing up and playing the ball that's his strength.

Players line up behind the first down marker on nearly every play.  White was 3 yards behind the marker.  Chase was lined up 6 yards from it.  White had to close 3 yards in the amount of time it took Burrow to catch the snap, throw to Chase, and for Chase to run forward 6 yards.  White did so in plenty of time.  (That’s a coaching win). White missed the tackle because Chase big-brothered him.  That’s not a coaching failure.  The Bengals players were bigger, faster, and stronger than the Bills players all day long.  Some of that was due to being without Von and Hyde and White and Poyer being less than 100%, but in the end it was their Jimmies beating your Joes.  No amount of firing the guy who presided over the number one and two scoring defenses the past two seasons would have changed that fact.

• Dislike 1

8 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

How many times does our defense have to get completely annihilated in the playoffs before changes are made? This is 3 in a row now. Frazier cannot be here next year and none of you guys can seriously believe he’s a head coaching candidate can you?

I’d get rid of Dorsey too. Zero rhythm to this offense, zero synch between running and passing schemes, zero use of our running backs in the passing game. Way to shorten the lifespan of our QB you absolute joke of an OC. He’s in way over his head and allowing Josh to have that much input into the OC was a mistake.

Drop the mic…. Well said and all true!!!!!  I mean how can you bring either coordinators back. Especially. Frazier 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Drop the mic…. Well said and all true!!!!!  I mean how can you bring either coordinators back. Especially. Frazier 

Well Beane already said in so many words that Dorsey will be back. I didnt hear anyone ask for a DC update at the presser but I’m starting to get the queasy feeling he isn’t going anywhere either

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PaulieYayo said:

Well Beane already said in so many words that Dorsey will be back. I didnt hear anyone ask for a DC update at the presser but I’m starting to get the queasy feeling he isn’t going anywhere either

Yea that sucks… and I never was that guy screaming to fire someone, but I think we’ve seen this movie to many times. That system on defense isn’t going to get it done in big games. Teams either pound the ball on us or a good QB just picks us apart. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PaulieYayo said:

Remarkable that no one asked about the DC at a press conference. 

32 minutes ago, Billl said:

Players line up behind the first down marker on nearly every play.  White was 3 yards behind the marker.  Chase was lined up 6 yards from it.  White had to close 3 yards in the amount of time it took Burrow to catch the snap, throw to Chase, and for Chase to run forward 6 yards.  White did so in plenty of time.  (That’s a coaching win). White missed the tackle because Chase big-brothered him.  That’s not a coaching failure.  The Bengals players were bigger, faster, and stronger than the Bills players all day long.  Some of that was due to being without Von and Hyde and White and Poyer being less than 100%, but in the end it was their Jimmies beating your Joes.  No amount of firing the guy who presided over the number one and two scoring defenses the past two seasons would have changed that fact.

Agree to disagree, I see it differently and so do many other fans. But I agree bengals we're bigger and stronger all day. And no one is denying Fraziers success during the season. It's the fans like me that are tired of giving up over 30 points 2 years in a row and 27 this year when honestly it should have been way more, the Bengals were just burning clock end of the 3rd. Lots of fans don't see a path to a SB if your defense now has consistently given up over 30 to elite teams when it matters. Fraziers bend but don't break defense has been only breaking against elite qbs when it matters.

• Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Those that hope a team is “dumb enough” to hire Frazier; What’s really the difference between Frazier and McDermott as HC?

Leadership? Maybe, but the team comes out flat in that game so what’s that really worth.

Our in-conference rivals are probably thinking “I hope the Bills are dumb enough to keep McDermott”

McD gets emotional and claps, Frazier stands there looking like Jauron.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No that’s what Miami did on 3rd and 15. I definitely wouldn’t do a zero on 3rd and 15.

This call is supposed to create a quick throw short of the sticks. It did. Tre White was supposed to react quicker and make the tackle. He not only reacts slow but he misses the tackle.

Im not a fan of the call simply because I don’t think we tackle well as a defense plus poor footing. I would rather make the offense throw a tighter throw.

This sort of thing works against crappy QBs with blah WRs... Your Mac Jones and Tyquan Thorntons of the world...  It certainly doesn't work vs playoff teams with 4.3 stud WRs strong after the catch and elite QBs with split second releases and premier decision making. 

This is why our "defensive guru" of a head coach flops in the playoffs every year. 

It's negligent.

Again with a zero blitz called you do give cushion to the receivers but it's depending on the yards to gain, 3rd and 4 means you give about 6 yards of cushion max, not 8 or 9 yards. The goal is to force a quick throw and then make a tackle short of the line to gain. Frasier literally tells these guys to drop back more yards then needed because he is scared. Plain and simple...white missed the tackle but even if he makes it chase was already at line to gain. So blame the players all you want, but his way of coaching this defense will never win in the playoffs against a great offense.

Edited by BillzFreak
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.