Coaching Malpractice - Frazier Needs to be fired - the play that illustrates it

Long Suffering Fan

8 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

In that zero blitz situation he has to play press or at least play up because the line to gain was too far away for tre to make a play on a slant that easily picks up the first like he did. Did the outcome seem like playing that far back was a good idea to you? 

From a coaching standpoint, yes.  White was in position to tackle Chase short of a first down.  That’s all a coach can do.  If your best CB misses a tackle, you’ve got a personnel issue.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Off coverage is the hedge if the blitz doesn't get home. Which it probably won't because we're crap at disguising our blitzes, and our LBs aren't exactly skilled pass rushers. Especially late in the season when there's a ton of film on us.

Calling a 6 man pressure, with press-man type coverage is very risky. Basically if one of the cover guys gets beat, it should be a TD for the O.

That call is Frazier saying that his coverage can't hold up, so our best chance is to try and drop Burrow or force and incompletion/Int.  Obviously the easy answer is throw hot to the huge, athletic WR for a new set of downs. 

I get that but you blitz on 3rd and 4 and play 10 yds off of Chase it's an easy 1st down

• Thank you (+1) 1

we heard from saffold, and it was implied by diggs and millano's comments, that our players skipped a practice day and didn't really want to play.

dorsey went to NC was it on saturday to interview?  

we can see from the formations and plays called that the coaches didn't really want to coach either.

i really wasn't thinking we should fire everyone before, but given that motivation preparation and play calls all come from the coaches, i think there must 100% be some dramatic changes in coaching and perhaps a full one (but that i do not expect at all). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HardyBoy said:

When does the contract for Frazier expire? If he gets hired as a head coach, would they still get a comp pick?

I heard his contract is up, so my guess is they don't give him a new one, a nice way of saying hit the bricks!!

11 hours ago, Simon said:

It's a still picture well before the snap and before the Bengals OL is even set.

Did the Bills DB's creep up before the snap?

Did they attack the sticks after the snap?

Did the two LB's drop into zones on the seams?

Unless you have video of the actual defense being run, this photo is completely meaningless, imo.

So you didn't watch the game ?

11 minutes ago, Buckets said:

Frazier hasn't fielded a good defensive scheme since he's been here and the Dorsey experiment was a failure, they both have to go.

Most frustrating about these schemes is both predictability and inflexibility.  During the regular season, you had the 49ers and Chargers show you how to slow down Miami's offense in consecutive weeks.  In last weeks wild card game the Ravens provided some clues on how to address Cincinnati's offense and dealing with Burrows. But Frazier ignored both of these examples.  And on the offensive side defenses have had the Bills number for most of the 2nd half of the season.  Dorsey has no answers.  And by watching the Bills all season you can become pretty efficient in predicting the Bills plays just off the basis of personal packages and formations.  If I can do that then the professionals employed by other NFL teams can do it too. 

Now why isn't the HC questioning the coordinators and demanding some creativity, surprise, and flexibility in their game plans along with designing them for the specific opponent?  My guess is Zac Taylor just dusted off the mostly unused regular season game plan they devised against the Bills and took most of the week off before the game.  He knew exactly what to expect and got exactly that on Sunday.  

From Tyler Dunne:

At Highmark Stadium, it was clear that the Bills were not going to stop Joe Burrow and this Bengals offense. Immediately. Everything was so easy, so breezy through 79- and 72-yard touchdown drives to start this game. Cincy’s passing game was akin to a game of catch in the backyard with Bills defenders lining up so far off the ball. Blaming defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier for this is unbelievably short-sighted. Yes, he calls the plays but this entire defense is Sean McDermott’s baby. He runs it. It’s his show. Philosophically, he wants a unit that’ll bend, bend, bend and bend some more in hopes of never breaking. There’s minimal risk. No disguise. And certainly not a slot corner like Cincy’s Mike Hilton blitzing off the edge to change a game.

The McDermott scheme begs the offense to nickel-and-dime its way down the field. That’ll earn you juicy stats against inferior quarterbacks in the middle of September.

Not so much against the best in the NFL.

Burrow essentially said “Don’t mind if I do!” exactly as Patrick Mahomes did those final 13 seconds of regulation one season ago. Before the first quarter was even over, the Bengals quarterback had completed passes to seven different players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Dawgg said:

From Tyler Dunne:

At Highmark Stadium, it was clear that the Bills were not going to stop Joe Burrow and this Bengals offense. Immediately. Everything was so easy, so breezy through 79- and 72-yard touchdown drives to start this game. Cincy’s passing game was akin to a game of catch in the backyard with Bills defenders lining up so far off the ball. Blaming defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier for this is unbelievably short-sighted. Yes, he calls the plays but this entire defense is Sean McDermott’s baby. He runs it. It’s his show. Philosophically, he wants a unit that’ll bend, bend, bend and bend some more in hopes of never breaking. There’s minimal risk. No disguise. And certainly not a slot corner like Cincy’s Mike Hilton blitzing off the edge to change a game.

The McDermott scheme begs the offense to nickel-and-dime its way down the field. That’ll earn you juicy stats against inferior quarterbacks in the middle of September.

Burrow essentially said “Don’t mind if I do!” exactly as Patrick Mahomes did those final 13 seconds of regulation one season ago. Before the first quarter was even over, the Bengals quarterback had completed passes to seven different players.

We joke about matriculating the ball down the field. Turns out if you can actually matriculate the ball down the field in the playoffs... McD is basically hoping to stop you at the goal line. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m pretty sure Tre executed this play poorly plus he missed the tackle.

That said it’s a bad play call. Make them work for it is how I like to play defense. I don’t particularly like our soft zone approach to everything.

Good news for you then - they didn't play soft zone here.

36 minutes ago, Dawgg said:

From Tyler Dunne:

Yikes.  Damning but true.  

12 hours ago, arcane said:

That looks like cover 0 to me. FWIW, I usually see cushions around that size when teams call cover 0. The same thing that allowed Diggs to run by the Dolphins last week, but also forced errors and got sacks. 

Not defending the call or anything, I hate calling 0 against anyone but bad/rookie QBs, and i also could be wrong 

It is 0 - and most of the time you do play off when running 0. The whole concept is to bring pressure, force a quick throw, and have the DBs sitting on it. Everyone and their mother does this. The call isn't the issue - they just made a play and we didn't. If we'd made these plays routinely throughout the game these same arm chair coaches on here would be praising our players and coaching staff as geniuses lol. Most people on here see success or failure without any understanding of why there was success or failure but are quick to praise/bash.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

It is 0 - and most of the time you do play off when running 0. The whole concept is to bring pressure, force a quick throw, and have the DBs sitting on it. Everyone and their mother does this. The call isn't the issue - they just made a play and we didn't. If we'd made these plays routinely throughout the game these same arm chair coaches on here would be praising our players and coaching staff as geniuses lol. Most people on here see success or failure without any understanding of why there was success or failure but are quick to praise/bash.

Nobody plays multiple yards off beyond the sticks in cover zero on 3rd down. And the teams that run it often and well play press man. They know they'll have a free rusher so they have to cover for a minimum of 2 seconds. If they can cover for 2 seconds their pressure will get home. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lol. Everyone blaming the coach when the player missed the tackle. Typical.

Well ya see, the choice of having those players on the team and and them being unable to perform on the field, is on the coaches and the GM, so…, 

3 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Off coverage is the hedge if the blitz doesn't get home.

This is the type of conservative thinking that needs to go away in the coaching staff.

Its the playoffs. Win or go home. You’re already down a score and they’re about to score again. You have to take chances. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.