Coaching Malpractice - Frazier Needs to be fired - the play that illustrates it

Long Suffering Fan

Those that hope a team is “dumb enough” to hire Frazier; What’s really the difference between Frazier and McDermott as HC?

Leadership? Maybe, but the team comes out flat in that game so what’s that really worth.

Our in-conference rivals are probably thinking “I hope the Bills are dumb enough to keep McDermott”

OC. Daboll on the Giants sideline? Energy. Ideas. Took NY QB to heights. We don’t have to think hard to find example O coach. O and 17 slowly missed Daboll as time progressed. 

DC. new blood. Prevent Defense as your base??. Wooohooo, fails vs good QBs

HC. See above. 

• Agree 1

I am never really a fire everyone guy especially over one play.  But I will say I wondered aloud in real time given the down and distance presnap what in the heck are they doing before this play.  

if Tre was a good aggressive tackler maybe he could have stopped him short of the first down but just barely.  Tre has been awful hopefully he gets well

tjis off-season 

Edited by Matt_In_NH

9 hours ago, arcane said:

That looks like cover 0 to me. FWIW, I usually see cushions around that size when teams call cover 0. The same thing that allowed Diggs to run by the Dolphins last week, but also forced errors and got sacks. 

Not defending the call or anything, I hate calling 0 against anyone but bad/rookie QBs, and i also could be wrong 

My assumption is that, in this concept, if the ball is thrown quickly, the defender is supposed to fly at the receiver and foremost make an immediate, clean tackle. Any chance of a pass breakup would be welcome too, but you have no help, you must take him down at the point of contact.

But on that slippery field? Likely with the wrong choice in cleat? With a guy who is still in some level of recovery from ACL?

In some ways I feel bad for Frazier. His team was a combination of unsettled and worn out. I'm not sure any defensive scheming ends up affecting the Bengals offense much on that particular day. 

Again, if I'm going to put the microscope on the situation - it has to be how the offense couldn't scheme their way to more than 10 points. Inexcusable.

You can be the judge of what percentage can come down to a lack of quality offensive personnel vs. the lack of an experienced coordinator vs. the previously mentioned unease/fatigue. I'd venture to say it's about 5/70/25. Daboll had this team humming.

Edited by pocoboy

6 hours ago, IBTG81 said:

No. That’s pretty much what it looked like at the snap. 

Exactly. Look we all know the saying “ a photos worth a thousand words “ ; well , I guess all of us except that person who is just throwing out bs to throw out bs. You don’t need more to explain that photo , it is what it is, and 99% of people who watched the game and saw that play know the picture stands by itself as an example the OP was trying to portray in his/ her post. 
We all know and saw that the ball was immediately snapped as part of the Bills d was presenting a blitz while the dbs  dropped BEYOND the sticks (unfortunately, we have seen this many times in the past  with Frazier as the d coordinator ) , and Burrows immediately threw to the boundary receiver who wasn’t touched until he was already beyond the first down. It was an important third down conversion.  

It was commented on by analysts , content providers, and just plain old simple fans. Don’t believe me, well, heres anither example   Just go do a little homework if you need convincing , check out THE AIR RAID HOUR on YouTube today , less than 1/2 hour in when the one content provider comments on this exact play and said “ that third and four , when they just blitzed everybody , left 8 yards of cushion , was insane . And don’t put that on the players, that’s on Leslie Frazier”!  This is just one example of people understanding that exact play and picture as it stands alone, and there are many more examples of people commenting about it even in this thread, so asking for more video around it or it means nothing must be,,,,,sarcasm? . 

That play along with the remainder of the defensive performance represent the issues that resulted in something NOT opinion based, but FACT based; the Bills were once again sent home at the divisional playoff level.  All the  dvoa / pff type stats can’t negate that FACT, and the eye test we all witnessed; the defense was mistake prone  and played uninspired , poorly executed football that was not up to the standard it requires to advance further, and that seems like a coaching issue.   That’s the problem with a fact. It’s truth and it’s not up to interpretation or opinion. You can ignore facts , but it’s funny , that doesn’t make them nonexistent. Ignoring facts is a difficult way to put forth a valid argument or discussion.. 😀

( poster , this is NOT in reference to you , just referencing that absurd  idea presented by arguing that pic by itself, right before the snap meant NOTHING without more video support , when we all know exactly what it  resulted in 😊)  

If I’m allowed to add a little, given  Sundays results, the Cincy  staff is providing a model of how to draft, team build, coach to your strengths , be offensively and defensively creative , and how that gets an organization to 2 AFC Championship games. While the Bills were chasing kc , investing so much draft capitol on literally chasing Mahomes ( who is in kc only because  Mcd gave the draft pick for mahomes to Kc in his first draft ), and  have fallen behind a second team now in addition with the Bengals jumping them.     It’s a step back and we are arguably in worse position than after 13 seconds.
       You probably won’t be seeing the Bills as SB favorites early next year unless they dramatically change and support their franchise qb with more talent on the o line , a legit wr corp , and a legitimate running game similar to the teams still  advancing in the playoffs. . So far we have little evidence given  the past 5 years that such a philosophical change is going to happen.  We see players drafted but used so sparingly it’s hard to see how they can develop , and we have seen players traded for but then used oddly or not creatively , players resigned and then used for less than a handful of plays in a game.  It’s bizarre things, with no coherent or cohesive plan and it resulted in declining performance until the teams final exit.  So it seems fair to say that one picture posted  is an insight or emblematic of all the strange coaching decisions that were going on this season.   Without some new input , I believe at the coordinator level , I am at a point where it’s difficult to feel optimistic the Bills will advance further and it’s possible they will be bypassed by even more franchises. As an analogy , if you’re not advancing your knowledge in your chosen field or career path , you are likely falling behind. 
      Somewhat paraphrasing the Op, using this picture is just ONE example of a Bills defense that was currently not adequate. Like John Fina stated on his podcast today , “ no one fears the Buffalo defense”!  You shouldn’t require more video to understand that concept, and you don’t have to be in the locker room or have been a former NFL coach to grasp the fact  that having coaching resulting in a 4-5 playoff record is not resulting in a Super Bowl.
Something needs to change and I would hope soon as time is passing  regarding Allens prime years and the surrounding AFC competition.  Burrows was not shy, and was laughing while interviewed saying they expected to dominate this defense and they did that , and that picture represents at least one obvious example how that came about and it easily stands alone. .  (😊 please forgive my rambling, feeling a bit triggered after that very unsatisfactory way the season ended and defending one of the most egregious plays implying  some how that picture is misrepresenting the play seems disingenuous.. Hoping for a productive offseason!  )

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Frazier's not getting fired. So we need to get him hired as a HC instead. Someone get the Cardinals # & let's start making calls.

my understanding is he does not need to be fired as his contract has expired.   just don't offer him a new one.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

This is McDermott's defensive scheme, he can't fire Frazier without indicting himself as failing. In McDermot world, scheme and play calling are perfect, and the untalented players let him down. 

That’s pretty much it. That’s why this is an organizational failure that really can’t be fixed by anyone other than Terry.

• Like (+1) 1

I find it ironic that against the Fins, they played press man and knocked Hill and Waddle off their game. I hoped that was a preview and preached it all week.

But nope....right f...in back to turtle mode. I have no hope for this team until Frazier is gone....and I would like for someone to prove to me this is McD's call and he's a puppetmaster.

Edited by nosejob

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

White had a chance to save the 3rd down conversion despite the horrible play call, but yah he whiffed on that tackle.

A chance? A snowball in hells chance. Chase caught it and with his big body and momentum just pushed trey back for the first down. If Trey even slight jams him at the line instead of 5 yards back he has a chance. But definitely not in that scenario.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

Normally i’d agree, but in this particular situation, the OP’s photo really does tell the truth.

The Bills lined up 10 yards off the ball and never moved. Even after the snap. Tre only moved after the ball was caught.

So incredibly easy to beat.

Here is a photo after the snap.

3-F17-C7-BB-8-AF6-4-BEC-A7-F4-B45093-CD9

This is embarrassing. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Simon said:

It's a still picture well before the snap and before the Bengals OL is even set.

Did the Bills DB's creep up before the snap?

Did they attack the sticks after the snap?

Did the two LB's drop into zones on the seams?

Unless you have video of the actual defense being run, this photo is completely meaningless, imo.

Romo called it. Said if Bills blitz ball is going to Chase. How do you blitz and not play tight coverage?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Frazier's not getting fired. So we need to get him hired as a HC instead. Someone get the Cardinals # & let's start making calls.

10 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

I actually remember this play they stayed like that through the snap & Burrow tossed an easy 1st down to Chase who was top of the screen. It was talked about a ton this morning by Howard & Jeremy on WGR who were saying we rushed 7 but gave an 8 yd cushion on 4th & 4. It was odd. 

Do you honestly think Somebody would want Leslie Frazier??LOL!!!

On 1/8/2023 at 7:52 AM, PonyBoy said:

Apparently only if we clinch the #1 seed. Had a chance this year.

On 1/11/2023 at 1:04 PM, Green Lightning said:

I am resigned to the fact our road to the SB will include a meet up with the Bengals. They are the team to beat. After watching our secondary get carved up last week by mediocre Mac Jones, it gives one pause.

On 1/17/2023 at 7:33 PM, somnus00 said:

If Josh Allen takes what the defense gives him and the offense pays with rhythm... Bills 34 - 24.

27 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

(😊 please forgive my rambling, feeling a bit triggered after that very unsatisfactory way the season ended and defending one of the most egregious plays implying  some how that picture is misrepresenting the play seems disingenuous.. Hoping for a productive offseason!  )

No worries bud, you aren't wrong. Air Raid Hour is a good podcast too, they're part of Cover 1's operation and Cover 1 is ***** awesome.

20 minutes ago, nucci said:

Romo called it. Said if Bills blitz ball is going to Chase. How do you blitz and not play tight coverage?

Off coverage is the hedge if the blitz doesn't get home. Which it probably won't because we're crap at disguising our blitzes, and our LBs aren't exactly skilled pass rushers. Especially late in the season when there's a ton of film on us.

Calling a 6 man pressure, with press-man type coverage is very risky. Basically if one of the cover guys gets beat, it should be a TD for the O.

That call is Frazier saying that his coverage can't hold up, so our best chance is to try and drop Burrow or force and incompletion/Int.  Obviously the easy answer is throw hot to the huge, athletic WR for a new set of downs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.