Coaching Malpractice - Frazier Needs to be fired - the play that illustrates it

Long Suffering Fan

7 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Right, and this is the right formation for ZERO BLITZ on third and 15, perhaps - not on third and 4.  Trey can get to the sticks at the same time as Chase, but there is no way that Chase can't get the first down.  He just has to angle a little bit to one side.  Trey sold out to try to make the tackle and missed  (giving up some more yards) but, even if he made it, it would have been a first down.

No that’s what Miami did on 3rd and 15. I definitely wouldn’t do a zero on 3rd and 15.

This call is supposed to create a quick throw short of the sticks. It did. Tre White was supposed to react quicker and make the tackle. He not only reacts slow but he misses the tackle.

Im not a fan of the call simply because I don’t think we tackle well as a defense plus poor footing. I would rather make the offense throw a tighter throw.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

White had a chance to save the 3rd down conversion despite the horrible play call, but yah he whiffed on that tackle.

It’s just a bad position to put your corner. Let him be physical w the wr within 5 yards (legal) and he’s glued to the man and easy tackle knowing the ball has to come out bc of the pressure 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

I saw several missed tackles yesterday, and you can take your pick on the players who missed them.

The defense getting fooled by Joe Burrows pump fake leaving the Tight End wide open for a touchdown, was the most embarrassing thing I saw yesterday.

For me it was allowing Joe Mixon to average over 5 ypc after his average was 3.9 for the year

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I saw several missed tackles yesterday, and you can take your pick on the players who missed them.

The defense getting fooled by Joe Burrows pump fake leaving the Tight End wide open for a touchdown, was the most embarrassing thing I saw yesterday.

It was a bad game across the board. Coaches and players.

• Agree 1

Just now, balln said:

It’s just a bad position to put your corner. Let him be physical w the wr within 5 yards (legal) and he’s glued to the man and easy tackle knowing the ball has to come out bc of the pressure 

I’ve been beating that drum all year. Chuck the WR’s more! Especially on a blitz. When a QB is blitzed they’re looking for a quick throw. Chucking the receivers and playing sticky makes their job much more difficult and with a pass rush coming agree him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, balln said:

One thing I will say is sometimes DBs have a choice on a play to play tight or off. Our DBs typically choose to play off. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Agreed, that play in and of itself should get a DC fired.  Negligence.

If your players are "with you", prepared, and ready to execute the game plan, that play does not happen.  Ever.

Sure the players did not show up, but neither did the coaching for the most part.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The difference in the game was given this defensive look Burrow would throw it 5 yards for the first down. Josh Allen would launch a Hail Mary

After saffold brown and dawkins completely whiff on their man

while JAG / street FA bengals OL completely stands up our drafted whimp DL

Edited by balln

Just now, mannc said:

He had zero chance to make that tackle on Chase in the open field.

Right it just keeps stemming back to the coaches having to much ***** “faith.” McD words not mine. 

you gotta know asking a bum knee tre who’s never been a strong tackler who’s at end of career is NOT going to make an open field tackle against chase / prime talent who is ELITE runner / YaC

27 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Third and 4 (see below).  You all remember it.  This play is important for two reasons:

1.  It shows a complete lack of defensive situational awareness on what can be given up on a play.

2.  It is the exact same mistake that was made during 13 seconds.  On this play, they are guarding the end zone, but will easily give up the first down.  On 13 seconds, we were guarding the end zone, but willing to give up the two quick plays needed for a field goal.

It is actually worse because this play typified our defensive philosophy for most of the day.  I'm a level headed guy who does not normally call for firings (as if that matters), but this is beyond belief.  There is simply no excuse to give so much space in this situation.  I know I am not an expert.  In my mind, this only makes it worse.  Like probably half of Bills fandom, I was yelling at my screen before the snap.  Shouldn't an expert been able to see what we all saw?

I can be patient:

Trey - He wasn't what he was last year, but at least I can have hope that he will be back to his old self next year.

Poyer - Not his best game, but he was playing with Hyde, Hamlin, Marlowe, Johnson so I'll cut him some slack that he couldn't be himself.

Dorsey - Not happy with him, but I can at least talk myself into the fact that this was his first year as a coordinator.

But with Frazier I can have absolutely no confidence that he has learned how ridiculously bad this is.  Last year I was hoping that he would be hired away from us.  This year I don't think I have any hope of that.  

He's smarter than me, he knows more about defense than I ever will, yada, yada, but you don't have to work for NASA to realize that spacecraft need to be air tight. 

Third and Four (800 x 543).jpg

This play was brutal..........and at the same time not the least bit surprising.   

When they get to the divisional round they are going to face teams that can execute at a high level.

I know a lot of folks on here didn't follow the NFL playoffs extremely closely during the drought years..........but this is like the Steelers zone defenses that Brady would pick apart in the playoffs year after year despite Pitt seeming to have a personnel edge on both sides of the ball.

If they won't make schematic changes for THIS level of opponent at least do it to keep the AFC East honest.........when Zach Wilson has a career day against you and Skylar Thompson keeps the Dolphins in the game late you might want to broaden your horizons defensively. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.