Coaching Malpractice - Frazier Needs to be fired - the play that illustrates it

Long Suffering Fan

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

It's a still picture well before the snap and before the Bengals OL is even set.

Did the Bills DB's creep up before the snap?

Did they attack the sticks after the snap?

Did the two LB's drop into zones on the seams?

Unless you have video of the actual defense being run, this photo is completely meaningless, imo.

The snap was a couple of seconds later, but this was their alignment at snap.  

After the snap, Trey nervously shuffled his feet, but didn't move.  The other three defenders were practically statues.

When the ball was on its way to Chase, Trey began to move up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Third and 4 (see below).  You all remember it.  This play is important for two reasons:

1.  It shows a complete lack of defensive situational awareness on what can be given up on a play.

2.  It is the exact same mistake that was made during 13 seconds.  On this play, they are guarding the end zone, but will easily give up the first down.  On 13 seconds, we were guarding the end zone, but willing to give up the two quick plays needed for a field goal.

It is actually worse because this play typified our defensive philosophy for most of the day.  I'm a level headed guy who does not normally call for firings (as if that matters), but this is beyond belief.  There is simply no excuse to give so much space in this situation.  I know I am not an expert.  In my mind, this only makes it worse.  Like probably half of Bills fandom, I was yelling at my screen before the snap.  Shouldn't an expert been able to see what we all saw?

I can be patient:

Trey - He wasn't what he was last year, but at least I can have hope that he will be back to his old self next year.

Poyer - Not his best game, but he was playing with Hyde, Hamlin, Marlowe, Johnson so I'll cut him some slack that he couldn't be himself.

Dorsey - Not happy with him, but I can at least talk myself into the fact that this was his first year as a coordinator.

But with Frazier I can have absolutely no confidence that he has learned how ridiculously bad this is.  Last year I was hoping that he would be hired away from us.  This year I don't think I have any hope of that.  

He's smarter than me, he knows more about defense than I ever will, yada, yada, but you don't have to work for NASA to realize that spacecraft need to be air tight. 

Third and Four (800 x 543).jpg

It was at that very moment right there where I was thiiiiiis close to shutting off the TV.  Just shaking my head in disbelief that this is happening in an NFL playoff game.  

At that point I was like, welp, these guys have completely checked out if that's the D we're running on 3rd and 4.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m pretty sure Tre executed this play poorly plus he missed the tackle.

That said it’s a bad play call. Make them work for it is how I like to play defense. I don’t particularly like our soft zone approach to everything.

Tre should've been right up there on the LOS. We were rushing like 6 or 7.  There was no creeping. He was 8-9 yards off the wr.  Pure stupidity....

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Normally i’d agree, but in this particular situation, the OP’s photo really does tell the truth.

The Bills lined up 10 yards off the ball and never moved. Even after the snap. Tre only moved after the ball was caught.

So incredibly easy to beat.

Here is a photo after the snap.

3-F17-C7-BB-8-AF6-4-BEC-A7-F4-B45093-CD9

Thanks for the better pic.

I still have a hard time trusting still shots of fluid situations.

Personally, I prefer to see sticky man if you're going to send both 'backers into the A gaps.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This is McDermott's defensive scheme, he can't fire Frazier without indicting himself as failing. In McDermot world, scheme and play calling are perfect, and the untalented players let him down. 

Yes he can.  In every scheme you have multiple formations.   I am sure McDermott's playbook has formations where his cornerbacks play press coverage.  But instead of calling that play, Frazier called off coverage.   In McDermott's world he would also be the first to take the blame for the loss but the guy isnt going to fire himself so...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Tre should've been right up there on the LOS. We were rushing like 6 or 7.  There was no creeping. He was 8-9 yards off the wr.  Pure stupidity....

You play off to force the short throw. Tre White hesitated. He needs to attack immediately. Plus he still misses the tackle.

We aren’t a zero blitz defense. I don’t remember us calling this very much during the season.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s called a ZERO BLITZ! The DBs are supposed to attack the short throw and make the tackle short of the sticks. It was poorly executed by Tre White.

My problem with the call is the poor footing. It’s hard to plant and make that play on Chase. 

Right, and this is the right formation for ZERO BLITZ on third and 15, perhaps - not on third and 4.  Trey can get to the sticks at the same time as Chase, but there is no way that Chase can't get the first down.  He just has to angle a little bit to one side.  Trey sold out to try to make the tackle and missed  (giving up some more yards) but, even if he made it, it would have been a first down.

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Normally i’d agree, but in this particular situation, the OP’s photo really does tell the truth.

The Bills lined up 10 yards off the ball and never moved. Even after the snap. Tre only moved after the ball was caught.

So incredibly easy to beat.

Here is a photo after the snap.

3-F17-C7-BB-8-AF6-4-BEC-A7-F4-B45093-CD9

Its so bad its funny.

• Like (+1) 1

Before they snapped the ball on this play I was yelling “what are they doing?!?” After the play I yelled “what are they thinking?!?” It was one of the stupidest defensive plays I’ve ever seen. Except 13 seconds as the OP mentioned.

Kicking And Screaming Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

And White reacted slow and missed the tackle. Our best CB. Let’s not let him off the hook.

Gee, you are really making a lot of this about White. He wasn't the only one who had a bad day yesterday.

Do you want him gone? If true, just say so.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lol. Everyone blaming the coach when the player missed the tackle. Typical.

I saw several missed tackles yesterday, and you can take your pick on the players who missed them.

The defense getting fooled by Joe Burrows pump fake leaving the Tight End wide open for a touchdown, was the most embarrassing thing I saw yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.