Coaching Malpractice - Frazier Needs to be fired - the play that illustrates it

Long Suffering Fan

Third and 4 (see below).  You all remember it.  This play is important for two reasons:

1.  It shows a complete lack of defensive situational awareness on what can be given up on a play.

2.  It is the exact same mistake that was made during 13 seconds.  On this play, they are guarding the end zone, but will easily give up the first down.  On 13 seconds, we were guarding the end zone, but willing to give up the two quick plays needed for a field goal.

It is actually worse because this play typified our defensive philosophy for most of the day.  I'm a level headed guy who does not normally call for firings (as if that matters), but this is beyond belief.  There is simply no excuse to give so much space in this situation.  I know I am not an expert.  In my mind, this only makes it worse.  Like probably half of Bills fandom, I was yelling at my screen before the snap.  Shouldn't an expert been able to see what we all saw?

I can be patient:

Trey - He wasn't what he was last year, but at least I can have hope that he will be back to his old self next year.

Poyer - Not his best game, but he was playing with Hyde, Hamlin, Marlowe, Johnson so I'll cut him some slack that he couldn't be himself.

Dorsey - Not happy with him, but I can at least talk myself into the fact that this was his first year as a coordinator.

But with Frazier I can have absolutely no confidence that he has learned how ridiculously bad this is.  Last year I was hoping that he would be hired away from us.  This year I don't think I have any hope of that.  

He's smarter than me, he knows more about defense than I ever will, yada, yada, but you don't have to work for NASA to realize that spacecraft need to be air tight. 

Third and Four (800 x 543).jpg

• Like (+1) 13
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 18
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Just now, wppete said:

I’m blown away that Frazier wasn’t fired today. What are they thinking? It’s insane!

This is McDermott's defensive scheme, he can't fire Frazier without indicting himself as failing. In McDermot world, scheme and play calling are perfect, and the untalented players let him down. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's a still picture well before the snap and before the Bengals OL is even set.

Did the Bills DB's creep up before the snap?

Did they attack the sticks after the snap?

Did the two LB's drop into zones on the seams?

Unless you have video of the actual defense being run, this photo is completely meaningless, imo.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

This is McDermott's defensive scheme, he can't fire Frazier without indicting himself as failing. In McDermot world, scheme and play calling are perfect, and the untalented players let him down. 

I have no problem with keeping everything in front of you on early downs - make them earn it, but you can't play that way on third and fourth down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Simon said:

It's a still picture well before the snap and before the Bengals OL is even set.

Unless you have video of the actual defense being run, this photo is completely meaningless, imo.

No. That’s pretty much what it looked like at the snap. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

In what world can McD complain about the talent of the players when he has spent most of the prime resources on his precious defense?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

I’m pretty sure Tre executed this play poorly plus he missed the tackle.

That said it’s a bad play call. Make them work for it is how I like to play defense. I don’t particularly like our soft zone approach to everything.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, wppete said:

I’m blown away that Frazier wasn’t fired today. What are they thinking? It’s insane!

It was clear today that they haven't even really begun staff evaluations yet. They cleaned out the lockers, had exit interviews, and met with the media. That someone isn't fired today says nothing about their status for next season. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

I remember the play.  White remained at least 8 yards off of Chase until the ball was snapped.  Easiest 3rd and 5 pickup I’ve ever seen.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 9

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

Did you watch the game?

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That looks like cover 0 to me. FWIW, I usually see cushions around that size when teams call cover 0. The same thing that allowed Diggs to run by the Dolphins last week, but also forced errors and got sacks. 

Not defending the call or anything, I hate calling 0 against anyone but bad/rookie QBs, and i also could be wrong 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

Normally i’d agree, but in this particular situation, the OP’s photo really does tell the truth.

The Bills lined up 10 yards off the ball and never moved. Even after the snap. Tre only moved after the ball was caught.

So incredibly easy to beat.

Here is a photo after the snap.

3-F17-C7-BB-8-AF6-4-BEC-A7-F4-B45093-CD9

• Like (+1) 7
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 14

I actually remember this play they stayed like that through the snap & Burrow tossed an easy 1st down to Chase who was top of the screen. It was talked about a ton this morning by Howard & Jeremy on WGR who were saying we rushed 7 but gave an 8 yd cushion on 4th & 4. It was odd. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.