Everybody's Feeling Stung right Now but please.....

jethro_tull

Its understandable considering the talent Buffalo has at the QB position Bills fans want to see improvement from one season to the next and advancement in the playoffs. AFC championship. Superbowl. I get it. KC on the other hand has the same idea. Cinci, the same goal. Make it to the Super Bowl and win. 3 elite QB's and only one will go to the Super Bowl. Myself personally, all things considered. The adversity Buffalo has faced this season.  Losing Von Miller, the Damar Hamlin collapse and still recovering. Replacing a very talented OC from within the ranks. It was to much to overcome. The team or the Bills coaching staff couldn't focus properly going forward into the playoffs. Calling for any drastic changes all things considered would not be a wise thing to do in my humble opinion.

I think to much of an emphasis is being placed on one loss...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Airseven said:

It's wild how the takes on this newsgroup flipped completely upside down during a 3-hour beatdown by Cincy. Simply reacting now, when so much of this was evident earlier in the year.

So much of what? Opposition trying to throw a monkey wrench in the game plan? 

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I am not of the complete mindset that the entire coaching staff including McDermott needs to go.  Because lets face it, McDermott is not getting fired this offseason.  Just not going to happen.  But your post is a little too optimistic.  We did not move in the right direction this season.  We were what turned out to be a paper tiger of a team.  From the second half of the Green Bay game, things did not look right.  Sure we won 8 games in a row.  But we did not dominate anyone other than the night game in New England.  And at Chicago.  Two teams that had nothing on offense.  Both Miami games were tight.  And we were fortunate to beat the Lions, thanks to a tremendous throw from Josh to Diggs in the last few seconds.  We just did not play like a top team plays.  If you watch the NFL, you should know that.  The 4 best teams are left to fight for the Super Bowl.  Dallas is better then us also, but fall short because Dak Prescott is garbage.  However, their defense is light years ahead of ours.  The bottom line is this IMHO, to be the best you have to beat the best.  What are we going to do this offseason to up the level of our team so that we can compete with the teams still playing for the Super Bowl.  We have the QB.  But we need a whole lot better around him.  Can McDermott and Beane do that?  We shall see this offseason.  And if things continue down the road of not being good enough.  Changes throughout the organization will have to be made.

Sound reasoning Paup. I am hopeful they get it right!

9 minutes ago, Airseven said:

It's wild how the takes on this newsgroup flipped completely upside down during a 3-hour beatdown by Cincy. Simply reacting now, when so much of this was evident earlier in the year.

I am curious to see the comparison of people who thought everything was okay this year and now for reacting... How many of those wanted OBJ?

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't think it's harsh at all.  

2013 - Russ Wilson's 2nd season - Super Bowl

2016 - Cam Newton's 5th season - Super Bowl

2019 - Goff's 2nd season - Super Bowl

2020 - Mahomes' 4th season (3rd as a starter) - Super Bowl

2021 - Mahomes, again.

2022 - Burrow's 2nd season - Super Bowl

Good teams with good coaches make it happen.

I think you might want to look at the coaching experience there.

2013: Pete Carrol 8 year as HC (2nd HC stint with 2nd team)

2016: Ron Rivera 5th year as HC.  LOST Superbowl; 2 previous years lost division

2019: Sean McVay 5th year as HC.  LOST Superbowl, Goff had 2 more meh seasons then got thrown in the trash. Took McVay 8 seasons as HC to win

2020: Andy Reid 20th year as HC (2nd HC stint with 2nd team).  LOST superbowl in his 6th season as HC

I grant you Zac Taylor.  Went to the Superbowl in his 3rd year as HC, directly off 2-14 and 4-11-1 seasons, after 2 years as a coaching assistant with the Rams and a handful of this and that.  He's apparently the real Boy Genius.

22 hours ago, Blank Stare said:

Gotta stop Living in the Past, Jethro. 

yes but those who do not recall the past are doomed to repeat it.  i am sick and tired of coaching and GM lather/ rinse / repeat.  

22 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

what works ?  

Learning from mistakes.  

22 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

Did you start following the team recently ?

4 years now….

since 1969.  4 years is an apprenticeship.  

22 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Did you mean Tomlin instead of Hamlin? Just curious...

correct, my mistake.  still stinging and a most definite freudian slip

22 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

That didn't take long

The trauma of the past makes people scared to swing for the fences...meaning they would rather never win squat as long as they never ended up back in that scary space again

it's how McDermott coaches, too. 

This type of fan and the current coaching staff are a perfect for one another

Point is McDermott can learn.  I would rather give him franchise tenure than to take back steps.  Swing for the fences with whom? 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

This team shouldn’t be too reactive and toss out everyone and everything but the game was a sign that there does need to be some significant changes to the roster and schemes. Nothing so dramatic as tearing it all down but something significant has to happen. 

Right on the money.  Thank you.  

20 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

The school of thought that it's okay to consistently underachieve now because we really sucked a decade ago is bizarre to me.

again not the point.  i still trust the process and would rather a few more tries than a lather / rinse / repeat with unpredictable results and most likely a back slide.  no thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

Right on the money.  Thank you.  

again not the point.  i still trust the process and would rather a few more tries than a lather / rinse / repeat with unpredictable results and most likely a back slide.  no thanks. 

At what point is it fair to ask whether the process is just shorthand for building a team of guys who enjoy each other's company but can't make it to a Super Bowl?

Just now, GoBills808 said:

At what point is it fair to ask whether the process is just shorthand for building a team of guys who enjoy each other's company but can't make it to a Super Bowl?

it's fair to ask right now, the answer is we do not know.  but i would rather keep plugging and build on the success rather than tear it down.  

4 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

it's fair to ask right now, the answer is we do not know.  but i would rather keep plugging and build on the success rather than tear it down.  

Building on successful seasons But Not Post Seasons. That indeed is the rub.

There is always the chance that new coordinatior hires act to set this team back!

And then will come " we should have kept ....... now we are regressing not moving forward. ACK

I think some frank discussions and choices WILL be made, and to Noones total and complete  satisfaction.

Until we win a Lombardi

🤷‍♀️

Edited by muppy

22 hours ago, Einstein said:

All out of patience.

We are HALF A DECADE into Allen's career.

No more patience left. 

We can't waste his career having patience.

You may be right. Let’s play it like the Browns and clean house. We can see how that goes for us.  Not so well for the Browns. But who knows? Maybe rash and emotional decisions after a disappointing loss will actually work this time?  🤷‍♂️

There are things that need fixing, but they can be fixed. Tearing it down is so silly I find it amusing after a 13-3 season. 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think the time to change is not after one of the most difficult seasons (concentrated DB injuries, Von ACL,  snow, Damar, etc) of all time, and finishing 13-3. 

But maybe that’s just me trying to be rational rather than angry and emotional. 

10 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

Such a wordsmith.

😂

He’s always trying to dominate the conversation! 

IDK, do you think maybe he’s having to pay by the character? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I think you might want to look at the coaching experience there.

2013: Pete Carrol 8 year as HC (2nd HC stint with 2nd team)

2016: Ron Rivera 5th year as HC.  LOST Superbowl; 2 previous years lost division

2019: Sean McVay 5th year as HC.  LOST Superbowl, Goff had 2 more meh seasons then got thrown in the trash. Took McVay 8 seasons as HC to win

2020: Andy Reid 20th year as HC (2nd HC stint with 2nd team).  LOST superbowl in his 6th season as HC

I grant you Zac Taylor.  Went to the Superbowl in his 3rd year as HC, directly off 2-14 and 4-11-1 seasons, after 2 years as a coaching assistant with the Rams and a handful of this and that.  He's apparently the real Boy Genius.

I looked at what I wanted to look at. 

I don’t give a crap about how long their coaches had coached. 

I also don’t give a crap that they lost Super Bowls. 

If you want to put your own spin on it, then dig up your own story and tell it how you want to. 

Im perfectly content with what I offered. 

4 hours ago, boyst said:

well, this is a really well thought out reply. maybe i will load some barrels up on you and your replies to sting you a little bit. that'll be fun.

regardless, yes, coaches must take into account what happens when players get injured. we did with hyde - then hamlin happened. i don't hold that against anyone.

but having to get marlowe just to hold things over was weird, worthless.

in your drivel what points exactly do you contest?

Are you saying the Bills should have known that their starting and backup safety were going to get injured, so they should have had a starter quality safety as a 3rd string? 

53 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

Point is McDermott can learn.  I would rather give him franchise tenure than to take back steps.  Swing for the fences with whom?

McDermott had 5 years to learn. He hasn’t. This team makes the playoffs with Allen at QB, but we need a championship caliber coach.

29 minutes ago, Augie said:

You may be right. Let’s play it like the Browns and clean house. We can see how that goes for us.  Not so well for the Browns. But who knows? Maybe rash and emotional decisions after a disappointing loss will actually work this time?  🤷‍♂️

There are things that need fixing, but they can be fixed. Tearing it down is so silly I find it amusing after a 13-3 season. 

I am not in favor of tearing down. In fact I posted yesterday that coaching was not the biggest problem on Sunday, and I fully believe that.

But that doesn’t mean we should have patience. Patience should be gone. This staff should feel the pressure to do better. Giving them an “out” by saying we should be patient is the wrong way, in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.