Bills Free Agents

Beck Water

Tag Edmunds, sign Martin and Lawson. Let the rest go. That stupid 3rd round pick from last year can take Matakevich's spot on special teams. I'd take Poyer back on a team friendly deal. My guess is he will find the free agent market not as good as he nad his wife hope. He is better off staying in Buffalo on a fair deal for both.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Sal Capaccio put up this useful color coded chart

image.thumb.png.31649071baa2b0f4e245d2ce53b039f1.png

Thoughts on who you'd like back?

The big decisions are Tremaine Edmunds and Jordan Poyer IMO.

If we possibly can resign them, I want to.   Work your magic, Beane

The RFAs are all slam-dunks I think.  Tyrel Dodson, Dane Jackson, and Cam Lewis all worth a qualifying offer as RFA.

Bunch of guys where "it depends" on what they want.

Guys I'd like to see back if their contracts are affordable include Tyler Matekavich (ST captain, especially if we move on from Taiwan Jones), Sam Martin (did well as punter), Case Keenum, and AJ Klein.  Jordan Philips played well when healthy, but he appeared to impair his own health stupidly trying to extend the plays.  He was overpaid for his overall contributions IMO.  Shaq Lawson, I thought, played about his best football and would be worth trying to bring back - it'd depend upon what he wants.

Rather than bring Saffold back, I would rather see Ike Boettger re-signed to a minimum deal if possible and look for an upgrade on OL in the draft and FA

It's also time to look for a change, or at least strong competition, at RT.

I think it's time to move on from Taiwan Jones, Jake Kumerow, Tommy Sweeney, most of the OL guys, Jaquan Johnson, and Dean Marlowe.  Need upgrades there.

Good post and I agree. I would add Crowder if the money is right, if not, go to Beasley for one more year while we restock WR through the draft.

I go $14 mil on a 5 year deal for Edmunds.  Anything more, and see ya. I let Poyer walk.  Go with Hyde and a mid priced FA safety.  Quessenberry back as depth.  Singletary see ya.  Saffold…no way.  Jones, Matekevich, Neal and anyone else who are supposedly these must have ST guys…GTFO. 

Edmunds is incredibly intriguing as far as how they’ll address his situation/position. Have to assume and accept Poyer is gone.

Upside: It’s kind of nice that from the entire UFA/RFA class, I wouldn’t blink if any or all of them left. Or if any are brought back on the cheap. They are entirely uninspiring and low impact. 

Downside: Inevitably, we’ll get yet another quarter of the roster filled with Beane’s one-year contract dumpster dives.

On 1/23/2023 at 4:08 PM, Drew21PA said:

Edmunds and poyer are gone for sure 

poyer is gonna hurt 

Do you think so?  McDermott said it was his best year, and he's the sort of player who will continue to work on getting better.

Beane said their mantra has been 'draft, develop, re-sign'.  I think we make every effort to keep him.

Poyer, was injured a TON which happens as players get older, I think he's gonna be a casualty.

Oliver is a good question.  In theory, we could help ourselves a lot by signing him to a contract and taking a lot of his guaranteed $11M off the books, but I'm not sure we're sold yet.  McDermott commented that the DL play was "inconsistent".

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Do you think so?  McDermott said it was his best year, and he's the sort of player who will continue to work on getting better.

Beane said their mantra has been 'draft, develop, re-sign'.  I think we make every effort to keep him.

Poyer, was injured a TON which happens as players get older, I think he's gonna be a casualty.

Oliver is a good question.  In theory, we could help ourselves a lot by signing him to a contract and taking a lot of his guaranteed $11M off the books, but I'm not sure we're sold yet.  McDermott commented that the DL play was "inconsistent".

Now I get why people defend edmunds

im just not sold he is worth too LB money he may command 

Poyer will be a cowboy 

I’m slowly coming around to bringing back Edmunds if it’s $15m per year or under.  He’s a good young player.  If we’re that strapped for cap room, package one of our 5th rounders to someone to take Oliver’s $11m off our books if you can’t get anything for him.  Oliver is way more easily replaced by a vet minimum guy than Edmunds.  

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

IMO Edmunds is the most likely re-sign because they can give him a long enough deal that would allow them to have a low cap hit assigned to him in 2023.   

Personally.........I think it's time to move on and not adjust everyone's roles around Edmunds strengths and weaknesses..........but they don't seem to mind his lack of instincts and/or believe that the game is still coming to him.

He has room for massive improvement wrt feeling coverage behind him and making plays on the football in the air and after the catch.........as well as blitz and pass rush technique/feel in general.     If he ever put those together with what he has now he'd be a DPOY candidate(as was expected in this defense).

While I am dubious.......there are the rare Demario Davis types out there who have proven that sometimes a player can make great strides at MLB mid-career..........even if most are already at their best much sooner.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.