Bills Free Agents

Beck Water

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

Philipps and Martin are worth bringing back. 

Maybe Ike?

I'm unclear on Phillips.  He can be awesome, but he can also Leave Home pursuing pass pressure and leave gaps in run D, or pull stupid stunts like chasing around the backfield like a chicken and hurting himself falling down.

There are around 21 free agents from this years team. Boetteger, Lawson, Edmonds, Poyer, Klein, Martin, Singletary would be the only ones I would try and sign. No special teams only guys. Bass has ability to kick it end zone every time and Martin does a great job of limiting returns. 

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm unclear on Phillips.  He can be awesome, but he can also Leave Home pursuing pass pressure and leave gaps in run D, or pull stupid stunts like chasing around the backfield like a chicken and hurting himself falling down.

Phillips, Shaq and Martin and maybe Marlowe be guys I'd want back as long getting paid less than $2 million per season. I like Singletary but think he might want more than we can avoid on a RB 2. I love Poyer as a player but his age and contract demands not worth it.

Edmunds just to me just bad at diagnosing plays IMHO and rather see someone spend big money on him.

Edited by The Jokeman

Futures signings from the PS.  Nothing to be too excited about, but worth noting that we offered futures contracts to WR Dezmon Patmon (former Colt PS guy who bumped Tanner Gentry at the end of the season) and to KeeSean Johnson and both accepted; also offered contracts to both Eli Ankou and Brandin Bryant at DT.

Oh, and Barkley

26 minutes ago, boyst said:

I want to see what Singleterry is worth. He's a process guy and I don't think it'd be ridiculous to get him at a rate that you'd like be paying for a rookie anyway.

Yeah, that's gonna be interesting to see what kind of interest his agent drums up for him. 

Edited by Beck Water

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Futures signings from the PS.  Nothing to be too excited about, but worth noting that we offered futures contracts to WR Dezmon Patmon (former Colt PS guy who bumped Tanner Gentry at the end of the season) and to KeeSean Johnson and both accepted; also offered contracts to both Eli Ankou and Brandin Bryant at DT.

Oh, and Barkley

Yeah, that's gonna be interesting to see what kind of interest his agent drums up for him. 

The guy could have a 8-9 yr career if he learns or develops a special teams ability. He was never known for speed so he won't fall off the earth quickly.

He's a process guy and Josh really likes him. 

Also interesting to not see Duke Johnson signed to a futures contract. The guy was very good for being a team member. 

I'm so appethetic to this right now. I can't even begin. One thing I can tell you is all these 3 million dollar special teamers are gonn be gone it's time for rookies and young players to fill special teams spots. How nice would an Isaiah Hodgins look on our receiving core right now.

If they let Keenum walk I'm done with this team forever.

Kidding.  In all seriousness, I won't lose sleep if they all left, other than Edmunds.  I'm over his hot and cold play, but I also don't know who replaces him.  They need to use their draft capital on the offense, particularly the line, and I'm also not sure there are any better FA options who aren't going to cost a lot more than Edmunds.

I like Singletary as well and could see him coming back if no other team throws a ton of money his way, which seems unlikely.

I made a post about this yesterday: 

But ultimately, I see us in a tough spot right now. We have 25 bodies to either re-sign or find replacements for, while over the cap, picking low in the Draft with only 6 picks, and also needing improvements at places where we do have the bodies.

Going to need to be really creative, hit on all picks, and find diamonds on the rough.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Sal Capaccio put up this useful color coded chart

image.thumb.png.31649071baa2b0f4e245d2ce53b039f1.png

Thoughts on who you'd like back?

The big decisions are Tremaine Edmunds and Jordan Poyer IMO.

If we possibly can resign them, I want to.   Work your magic, Beane

The RFAs are all slam-dunks I think.  Tyrel Dodson, Dane Jackson, and Cam Lewis all worth a qualifying offer as RFA.

Bunch of guys where "it depends" on what they want.

Guys I'd like to see back if their contracts are affordable include Tyler Matekavich (ST captain, especially if we move on from Taiwan Jones), Sam Martin (did well as punter), Case Keenum, and AJ Klein.  Jordan Philips played well when healthy, but he appeared to impair his own health stupidly trying to extend the plays.  He was overpaid for his overall contributions IMO.  Shaq Lawson, I thought, played about his best football and would be worth trying to bring back - it'd depend upon what he wants.

Rather than bring Saffold back, I would rather see Ike Boettger re-signed to a minimum deal if possible and look for an upgrade on OL in the draft and FA

It's also time to look for a change, or at least strong competition, at RT.

I think it's time to move on from Taiwan Jones, Jake Kumerow, Tommy Sweeney, most of the OL guys, Jaquan Johnson, and Dean Marlowe.  Need upgrades there.

I'd let a number go...

All the UFA O-linemen

QB Keenum

DL Phillips (depends on his ask though)

WR Kumerow and Crowder (why not keep Beasley of he still wants a shot)

TE Sweeney

AJ Klein

S Marlowe

I'm afraid to talk about Edmunds on this board but that's a contract I'll be interested in watching play out...

7 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

They’re at -5m right now. Von restructures and they are clear of “cap hell” 

Josh Allen can also free up a bunch of space for the team.

Sporttrac did analysis on the 2023 Bills. Solid read as it breaks down what they anticipate fre agents would cost to resign and breaks down the cap numbers of those that are not free agents this year to an extent.

https://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/whats-next-buffalo-bills-1754/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Knox was on what a 5 game TD streak before yesterday? When TE is your solution to your crappy O-line you can't exactly use them as weapons as often. Fixing the O-line is absolutely a priority.

Yep.

Our six-man O-line couldn't withstand a three-man pass rush. And thus Knox is wasted.

Barf.

7 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Josh Allen can also free up a bunch of space for the team.

Sporttrac did analysis on the 2023 Bills. Solid read as it breaks down what they anticipate fre agents would cost to resign and breaks down the cap numbers of those that are not free agents this year to an extent.

https://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/whats-next-buffalo-bills-1754/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Thanks for pointing at this. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.