Bengals will be the team to beat for years to come

Niagara Dude

2 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Higgins is the biggest question mark, Boyd will not get a big contract.  Reader sing thru next season and Hill thru 2024.  Hubbard is never leaving Cincy, born in Cincy, went to OSU, guy will be the Mayor one day.

I dont expect it to happen 100%, I am glad we are trying.  Tee will be the most questionable, he has a very tough agent and he may want to be a #1 elsewhere.  Tee is extremely close with the other WRs and a bit of an introvert, he may stay for the "family aspect", but that is a long shot, better chance we pay him large or tag him.  Jamar has already said he is never leaving Joe, they are "bread & butter".  

We are in pretty good shape cap wise with a relatively young roster.

Boyd won't get a massive deal but might get a deal the Bengals can't match for a role player. As a team looking to improve their WR might give him a rich contract that enough to want to leave or feel more wanted is all I'm saying. 

Edited by The Jokeman

12 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Couple things. 

1.  Bengals will have enough money to sign who they want. Mike Brown is not pulling the strings anymore.  The Bengals have been very active in free agency the last couple of years.  The narrative that the Bengals won't/can't spend money is not as limiting as it once was, we will always have issues with the guaranteed escrow requirements.

2.  Bengals will attempt to extend Burrow and Tee immediately after this season.  Burrow's high salary will most likely not have a major impact until 2026.  The goal is to sign Burrow to a Mahomes-like longterm contract with rolling guarantees, perhaps a 10 yr, $500M deal which would make him the highest paid, but also limit the required escrow, and spread prorated payments every season.

3.  If Burrow agrees to the Mahomes-like deal, the Bengals would be able to keep the team together much easier.

4.  I expect the Bengals to lose Bates and most likely Pratt after this season.

Right, but after all that, they will be in a cap crunch too & not be able to aquire free agents as easily as they can now. They will be in the position the Bills are currently in. It always gets harder once you get passed rookie deals. It's interesting for them that Burrow & Higgins are the same draft, then Chase is not far afterwards. Makes it harder, buy not impossible to space out. So they'll be good for a while, but this stuff could get interesting. Regardless, Cincy will be an issue for the foreseeable future.

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

No team in the ACF is in a better situation than the Bengals,  so many star elite players on rookie deals and they have hit on many of their picks .  The biggest thing is the Bengals have a projected 43million in cap space for next season.  The Bills are negative cap space and have many holes,  not a great situation after they beat us in Buffalo.

counter, burrow and chase will quickly eat that cap and their margin for error will shrink drastically. 

they are what the bills should’ve been 2-3 years ago when fans were just happy to be in the playoffs. 

we will be contenders for a decade but it’ll be tough to overcome the teams with a qb and wr or DE on rookie deals. It just amounts to like 4-5 extra good vet starters 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Higgins is the biggest question mark, Boyd will not get a big contract.  Reader signed thru next season and Hill thru 2024.  Hubbard is never leaving Cincy, born in Cincy, went to OSU, guy will be the Mayor one day.

I dont expect it to happen 100%, I am glad we are trying.  Tee will be the most questionable, he has a very tough agent and he may want to be a #1 elsewhere.  Tee is extremely close with the other WRs and a bit of an introvert, he may stay for the "family aspect", but that is a long shot, better chance we pay him large or tag him.  Jamar has already said he is never leaving Joe, they are "bread & butter".  

We are in pretty good shape cap wise with a relatively young roster.

Again you can say this guy won't leave and this guy says he isn't leaving but like I said no guarantees in the NFL. You may not think Boyd will get a huge contract but overpaying in free agency is a religion in this league. If a team likes him enough the money will flow especially for a receiver.

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Boyd won't get a massive deal but might get a deal the Bengals can't match for a role player. As a team looking to improve their WR might give him a rich contract that enough to want to leave or feel more wanted is all I'm saying. 

Boyd will be 30 in the 2024 season, Bengals will not consider anything crazy.

4 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Right, but after all that, they will be in a cap crunch too & not be able to aquire free agents as easily as they can now. They will be in the position the Bills are currently in. It always gets harder once you get passed rookie deals. It's interesting for them that Burrow & Higgins are the same draft, then Chase is not far afterwards. Makes it harder, buy not impossible to space out. So they'll be good for a while, but this stuff could get interesting. Regardless, Cincy will be an issue for the foreseeable future.

Burrow and Higgins being in the same class isn't really the same.  We will exercise Joe's 5th year option avoiding a huge cap hit for the next 3 years.  Chase's big hit won't likely make a huge impact until 2027.  It will be interesting.

8 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

heck, zay Jones got 3 years 24M

boyd is exactly the type they likely won’t be able to keep

20 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Couple things. 

1.  Bengals will have enough money to sign who they want. Mike Brown is not pulling the strings anymore.  The Bengals have been very active in free agency the last couple of years.  The narrative that the Bengals won't/can't spend money is not as limiting as it once was, we will always have issues with the guaranteed escrow requirements.

2.  Bengals will attempt to extend Burrow and Tee immediately after this season.  Burrow's high salary will most likely not have a major impact until 2026.  The goal is to sign Burrow to a Mahomes-like longterm contract with rolling guarantees, perhaps a 10 yr, $500M deal which would make him the highest paid, but also limit the required escrow, and spread prorated payments every season.

3.  If Burrow agrees to the Mahomes-like deal, the Bengals would be able to keep the team together much easier.

4.  I expect the Bengals to lose Bates and most likely Pratt after this season.

I doubt Burrow takes a Mahomes deal. The Watson deal is the new standard and better for the player. Imo you are dreaming about that type of contract.

I would be hopeful that the Brown family is less stingy than Mike if I was a Bengals fan too. But the Bengals ownership is still the poorest of these very rich teams (aside from the Packers). There will be real cash limitations that other poorer teams deal with. Look at the list of teams at the bottom and aside from the Steelers it is perennial bad teams partly because the exploding cap makes this an Uber-rich mans game. The Bills were in this boat with Ralph too, it’s tough to out scout, out develop and out coach for long. Good luck.

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

counter, burrow and chase will quickly eat that cap and their margin for error will shrink drastically. 

they are what the bills should’ve been 2-3 years ago when fans were just happy to be in the playoffs. 

we will be contenders for a decade but it’ll be tough to overcome the teams with a qb and wr or DE on rookie deals. It just amounts to like 4-5 extra good vet starters 

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

heck, zay Jones got 3 years 24M

boyd is exactly the type they likely won’t be able to keep

8 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

And plays a key role in their offense. 

Burrow and Chase won't have an immediate cap impact like many believe.

You guys can over pay for a 30 year old Tyler Boyd.  I'm guessing we draft another deep threat opposite Tee with Chase playing the slot much more.

3 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Burrow and Chase won't have an immediate cap impact like many believe.

You guys can over pay for a 30 year old Tyler Boyd.  I'm guessing we draft another deep threat opposite Tee with Chase playing the slot much more.

I can't see Tee sticking around when his contact ends, obviously Chase is the alpha dog there yet Tee and Boyd are the guys that make your passing game the scary thing it is IMHO. Chase reminds me of Diggs in many ways.

10 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I doubt Burrow takes a Mahomes deal. The Watson deal is the new standard and better for the player. Imo you are dreaming about that type of contract.

I would be hopeful that the Brown family is less stingy than Mike if I was a Bengals fan too. But the Bengals ownership is still the poorest of these very rich teams (aside from the Packers). There will be real cash limitations that other poorer teams deal with. Look at the list of teams at the bottom and aside from the Steelers it is perennial bad teams partly because the exploding cap makes this an Uber-rich mans game. The Bills were in this boat with Ralph too, it’s tough to out scout, out develop and out coach for long. Good luck.

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I can't see Tee sticking around when his contact ends, obviously Chase is the alpha dog there yet Tee and Boyd are the guys that make your passing game the scary thing it is IMHO. Chase reminds me of Diggs in many ways.

I think you and many other teams "hope" Burrow does not take a Mahomes deal.

Joe is in a unique situation as he is now a part of the player acquisition process.  It is his team, he has said it, he knows Brady took less to win rings and
his competitiveness is off the charts, almost weird. He hasn't spent any of his $24M and his goal is not spend any NFL compensation.

Joe will need to be compensated very well, a 10-12yr $500M deal would make him the highest paid and with certain provisions will allow for others to be signed as well. We will see.

Jokeman - your comment regarding  Tee makes sense, except that Tee is not an alpha.  He is very quiet and best friends with Chase.  He prefers Chase being out front.  A 4 year $80M deal should be doable and keep him in Cincy.  I cant stress enough how much credit the WRs give Burrow for their success.  They understand the difference a QB could make.  Any team not named Bills or Chiefs would be a downgrade as to their next QB, if they were to leave.

9 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I think you and many other teams "hope" Burrow does not take a Mahomes deal.

Joe is in a unique situation as he is now a part of the player acquisition process.  It is his team, he has said it, he knows Brady took less to win rings and
his competitiveness is off the charts, almost weird. He hasn't spent any of his $24M and his goal is not spend any NFL compensation.

Joe will need to be compensated very well, a 10-12yr $500M deal would make him the highest paid and with certain provisions will allow for others to be signed as well. We will see.

Jokeman - your comment regarding  Tee makes sense, except that Tee is not an alpha.  He is very quiet and best friends with Chase.  He prefers Chase being out front.  A 4 year $80M deal should be doable and keep him in Cincy.  I cant stress enough how much credit the WRs give Burrow for their success.  They understand the difference a QB could make.  Any team not named Bills or Chiefs would be a downgrade as to their next QB, if they were to leave.

If a team like Indy hires Callahan gets at HC, drafts a CJ Stroud and offers Higgins $110 million would he walk? It's nice to think the players will give a "home town" discount but more than not they look to cash in. 

Edited by The Jokeman

Sounds good but there is no way to know this and they will have salary cap issues soon enough of their own and perhaps worse than the Bills since Burrow will likely become the highest paid QB in the NFL which will be a lot higher than it is now.

Higgins and Boyd are UFAs after next year, Burrow will be up for his new deal after that.

Edited by Big Turk

9 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If a team like Indy hires Callahan gets at HC, drafts a CJ Stroud and offers Higgins $110 million would he walk? It's nice to think the players will give a "home town" discount but more than not they look to cash in. 

7 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Bengals are going to find out real soon how much it costs to pay an elite QB. I’m praying they win the Super Bowl so his value is hyper inflated.

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Sounds good but there is no way to know this and they will have salary cap issues soon enough of their own and perhaps worse than the Bills since Burrow will likely become the highest paid QB in the NFL which will be a lot higher than it is now.

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

Did our mods go out to dinner or something?

Joker:
If Tee gets a much better deal than we offer I have no doubt he will leave, but that is the reason we are offering him this spring.  Other teams cannot make offers until after next season.  He has the same agent as Deshaun Watson so I am prepared for the worse.

Dr. Sack:
We paid Palmer $100M, we paid Dalton, every team knows the impact of a high priced QB.  Our hope is a long term deal with rolling guarantees, we wont know until the deal is done.

Turk:
We can make Burrow the highest paid player and still have a cap friendly structure.

Frenchie:
Why?  

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Lol if Huntley holds on to the ball they don’t even win a playoff game this year.  

THIS is the answer!They're not world-beaters, however, they just happened to kick the crap out of us yesterday.

Ravens should have won that game.

Lol if Huntley holds on to the ball they don’t even win a playoff game this year.  

Don't let that distract you from the fact that Joe Burrow is the next Tom Brady.

The Bengals are not the freakin team to beat, lol.

I can't wait to watch everyone in the media freak out all next summer when the Bills are heavily favored over the bengals to win the superbowl, and they can't comprehend why. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Plano said:

THIS is the answer!They're not world-beaters, however, they just happened to kick the crap out of us yesterday.

Ravens should have won that game.

Really?  This is the answer?  That fumble happened with 12 minutes left on the clock.  We played a very vanilla offense the entire game.  I expect better football knowledge out of this fanbase.

9 minutes ago, Process said:

Don't let that distract you from the fact that Joe Burrow is the next Tom Brady.

The Bengals are not the freakin team to beat, lol.

I can't wait to watch everyone in the media freak out all next summer when the Bills are heavily favored over the bengals to win the superbowl. 

This is a real possibility even if the Bengals return to the SB again this season.  But I would still rather be the disrespected team playing in the last game rather than the media's preseason favorite.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.