Bengals will be the team to beat for years to come

Niagara Dude

No team in the ACF is in a better situation than the Bengals,  so many star elite players on rookie deals and they have hit on many of their picks .  The biggest thing is the Bengals have a projected 43million in cap space for next season.  The Bills are negative cap space and have many holes,  not a great situation after they beat us in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 1

This year and next year for sure.  But this offseason they will need to pay Burrow, which means the 1st year of his large deal would start in 2024 and they also need to pay Jonah Williams, DJ Reader, Tyler Boyd, Chidobe Awuzie, and Tee Higgins in 2024.   They will eventually run into the same issues the Chiefs and Bills currently have in paying people.  

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

They will be decent because of Burrow, much like the Bills will be decent because of Allen.

The difference will come out eventually, and that will be with Ownership.

The Pegulas will pay players, coaches etc. whereas Mike Brown won't, to the same extent.

It isn't just a matter of cap space, it's also about being able to afford the players guarantees, which have to be put into escrow, when deals are done.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I don't mind the Bengals - but I'm hoping they lose the SB again this year, just strategically.  Lose 2 in a row, and it starts to become a mental hurdle - much more so than the kinds of exits we've been having.  Teams can fall apart if it starts to become a pattern.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buddo said:

They will be decent because of Burrow, much like the Bills will be decent because of Allen.

The difference will come out eventually, and that will be with Ownership.

The Pegulas will pay players, coaches etc. whereas Mike Brown won't, to the same extent.

It isn't just a matter of cap space, it's also about being able to afford the players guarantees, which have to be put into escrow, when deals are done.

And Mike Brown has no other source of income other than the team. He owns no businesses and his father was a football coach.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Them and the Chiefs probably. Bills organization as a whole has some soul searching to do.

I think its going to take a little more than Soul searching.  I think they need to be seriously considering the coaching/gm search.  I feel like Beane and McDermott have peaked with their defensive mentality and past draft failures are rearing their ugly head right now

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

No team in the ACF is in a better situation than the Bengals,  so many star elite players on rookie deals and they have hit on many of their picks .  The biggest thing is the Bengals have a projected 43million in cap space for next season.  The Bills are negative cap space and have many holes,  not a great situation after they beat us in Buffalo.

You know, it all depends.  Time was when this was said about Houston.  We'll see.

A lot of their secondary are FA, including both safeties Jessie Bates and Von Bell; CB Tre Flowers, and Eli Apple (heh).  Their MLB Germaine Pratt.  TE Hayden Hurst.

Then they need to start working on a long-term contract for Joe Burrow.  DJ Reader and their LT Jonah Williams are FA in 2024; Trey Hendrickson and Joe Mixon in 2025.

If the Bengals put on a good showing in the AFCCG, smart teams will be trying to hire Lou Anarumo as their HC.  Brian Callahan (their OC) is already interviewing for the Colts HC position.  QB coach Dan Pitcher has been mentioned as a strong candidate for the Chargers open OC position.

Yes, they look like they're in a good situation right now, and probably for next year, but a lot of things can happen.

This was supposed to be a cap reset year for KC, then they absolutely smashed their draft out of the park. They have some room for 2023 and not a huge amount of named FA. But 2024 they have $100M.

I wouldn't be so quick to anoint them even though the Bengals do have some space this year as well. 

Both teams are in better cap situations than Buffalo at the moment. We have an uphill climb given our recent drafts. 

Outside of QB/WR, I don't feel significantly better about our current cap/roster situation than the cap hell/tear down Beane put us through in 2017/18.

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Bills management are too buddy buddy. This is a business and you have to win. Example: Allen choosing the offensive coordinator and the Knox contract because Allen is friends with him. 

Absolutely a business, but I question, particularly in a small market like Buffalo, whether or not you actually need to win to make money.   From 2088 to 2016 the Bills average attendance was 67,100 (rounded).  In 2021 the average attendance was 67,816.  TV money is not directly effected by wins and losses, merchandize sales are absolutely up but I don't know what split of that goes to the Bills v. the rest of the teams (maybe all stays with the Bills organization).  

My point is that in a small market like Buffalo, with out much else competing for the sports dollars fans spend on games, we fans are probably gonna go to games regardless.  But you're absolutely right on merch sales.  We all tend to buy more when the team wins.  

• Agree 1

I think unfortunately we're all gonna see just how terrible our defense played yesterday when the Bengals and kc play this Sunday. I don't think the Bengals get past kc. I think it'll be a close game, but I don't see the Bengals just having their way on offense. I think the bills really blew an opportunity yesterday. Ravens held them to 17 points on offense, and were tied until that stupid fumble. Plain and simple, the bills just really blew it 

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, H2o said:

The Bengals won't win it all. They will either lose this week to the Chiefs or in the SB to the Eagles/Niners. Watch. 

I don’t think anybody is beating Philly imo. In some ways the bengals did us a favor this year as hard as that is to admit. Philly would’ve destroyed us running the ball. I’d rather lose before the Super Bowl then lose another one

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

I think unfortunately we're all gonna see just how terrible our defense played yesterday when the Bengals and kc play this Sunday. I don't think the Bengals get past kc. I think it'll be a close game, but I don't see the Bengals just having their way on offense. I think the bills really blew an opportunity yesterday. Ravens held them to 17 points on offense, and were tied until that stupid fumble. Plain and simple, the bills just really blew it 

You're not allowed to say such stuff. Now it was the Bills were beat by a better team and forget about the coaching.

Last month when the Bills were just scraping by it was no big deal because a win is a win.  Some people want to have it both ways especially when it comes to McD.

I still believe the Bills were the best team.

• Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1

It’s easy to say that about Cincinnati but let’s face it, this is the NFL, rarely do things go according to plan, or what’s on paper.  I think Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Cleveland will be aiming their guns squarely at the Bengals and it won’t be easy.  What KC has done in recent years with their string of AFC Championship games is remarkable. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.