Michael Thomas or Odell Beckham Jr.?

thenorthremembers

21 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Michael Thomas had 1,700 yards in his last full season and if he's 100% healthy, then he's the top wr available.  Offensive line is the bigger concern, but we definitely need to give Josh another consistent weapon next season.

how long ago was that ?   

21 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Bills can clear a lot of money by restructuring contracts this offseason, however if they want to trade for someone like DeAndre Hopkins or Brandin Cooks they will have to find someone to take on Ed Oliver's contract as well.    We wont be able to keep Oliver and sign another big money wide receiver.

That said, Michael Thomas just restructured his contract to make it easier for the Saints to move away from him in the offseason.   If the Saints dont move him off their roster by March 17th they will owe him 32 million dollars next year, something I dont imagine they want to do.   

With Thomas and Beckham both coming off of injuries and playing very little the last two seasons it's possible they have to take a one year prove it deal, hypothetically something in the range of 7-8 million dollars, doable for the Bills. 

If we have to go the route of taking a chance on a gifted but tarnished wideout, which one would you prefer?  If neither, what other option do you see for the Bills?

If I was the Bills I’d want neither. One is constantly injured the other a huge DIVA. I’d probably go after Jacoby Meyers If the Pats didn’t resign him. He is a great possession receiver and he would be even better in Buffalo where he would never be double teamed and IMO he become Allen security blanket when he needed a first down. 

4 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

I’m not sure I agree with the catches. I think he had maybe 2 drops this season? I don’t think he’s a home run, but I don’t think we can afford a home run either 

I remember many crucial drops by Gabe, he was good for at least 1-2 per game that hit his hands. I like the guy and the big plays are nice, but when you got steph Diggs, your number 2 is gonna get targets and they've got to be caught.

As far as I'm concerned, we need someone to take he pressure off Diggs and I don't think a rookie will do that. Out of these two, I prefer OBJ. I hear the diva stuff, but to me he was performing well before hurting his knee and quite frankly we have established culture and coaches, and if we want to go all the way we need talent. McDermott needs to be able to handle the diva guys at this point or we're not going to make it to the super bowl.

As far as Thomas, my concerns are not about the injuries per se, but how and when they occurred. Just seemed to me the one year he could have had surgery earlier in the offseason and it just seemed overall that he really didn't want to play once Payton retired. Just the way the coaches were tentative about when he would be available to play. Would be really suspicious about him just looking for a payday, which is much different than a diva attitude.

I think it makes sense for us to bring someone in during free agency as a weapon, if nothing else it is Beane's mantra to provide flexibility in the draft.

2 hours ago, foreboding said:

I remember many crucial drops by Gabe, he was good for at least 1-2 per game that hit his hands. I like the guy and the big plays are nice, but when you got steph Diggs, your number 2 is gonna get targets and they've got to be caught.

We’re talking about DJ chark…Davis lead the league I believe 🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

Given just the two for the sake of the thread - OBJ. We may never really see Michael Thomas ever again. He may end up being up there with Peyton Hillis and Barry Foster in terms of players that had great years and then completely disappeared.

But have to agree that neither is the better option.

I don't think we need more receivers what we need is a run game with someone like Barkley. That takes pressure off our pass game ....with no run game defenses will blitz us to death and it doesn't matter how many HOF receivers we have we will jot have the time to find these guys open.... Burrow had open receivers because we couldn't stop the run

9 hours ago, Cuboirs said:

I don't think we need more receivers what we need is a run game with someone like Barkley. That takes pressure off our pass game ....with no run game defenses will blitz us to death and it doesn't matter how many HOF receivers we have we will jot have the time to find these guys open.... Burrow had open receivers because we couldn't stop the run

Teams don't respect any of our WRs besides Diggs. They will roll coverage towards Diggs.

This is a problem.  Cincy had open receivers because of our zone and it's inability to react quick enough to their routes, especially with the field conditions in that game.  Cincy was throwing the ball with ease before they ever even tried to establish the run.  

Gabe Davis is not a true WR2.  His numbers are more in line with Cincy's WR3, Boyd.

If this team does not address the OL and get a legit W2 to take some attention off Diggs, nothing will change and it won't make a bit of difference who's in the backfield.

Beane also made it pretty clear there's not going to be any big splash free agent signings like Von with our cap situation, so signing Barkley is not very likely at all.

Edited by Billz4ever

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.