2023 Offseason Primer: Offensive Line

MAJBobby

Why are we trying to shoehorn Cromer as our O-line coach. The line was. Inconsistent at best and when it counted they faded miserably. Our guards were poor in both protection and run blocking.Dawkins looked like he lost his edge and got beaten often by speed rushers. Brown showed potential in the run game but in the playoffs he struggled. Morse is a solid center who’s one concussion away from retirement. This position group will need to be upgraded or we are jeopardizing our best player and undermining everything a successful offense must do well. Beane must earn his money this off season with the O-line.

Great write up OP.  Unfortunately it looks like beach chairs should've stayed on the beach. Give Dawkins 1 more year @ LT to improve from this season. I really like putting Bates back to LG.  Saffold has to go and Brown cannot start anymore at RT.  Pocic, Risner and especially Taylor would anchor the right side. We'd have to do some serious cap shuffling. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

15 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Why are we trying to shoehorn Cromer as our O-line coach. The line was. Inconsistent at best and when it counted they faded miserably. Our guards were poor in both protection and run blocking.Dawkins looked like he lost his edge and got beaten often by speed rushers. Brown showed potential in the run game but in the playoffs he struggled. Morse is a solid center who’s one concussion away from retirement. This position group will need to be upgraded or we are jeopardizing our best player and undermining everything a successful offense must do well. Beane must earn his money this off season with the O-line.

I am not, to be honest I want to move on.  the Change from Bobby Johnson (made the OL at least maybe AVG to the point Josh could cover the holes alot) to Kromer and once again the OL becomes a tire fire with regression in every position on the OL.  I would LOVE to move on, I just dont think the Bills will.  

15 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Great write up OP.  Unfortunately it looks like beach chairs should've stayed on the beach. Give Dawkins 1 more year @ LT to improve from this season. I really like putting Bates back to LG.  Saffold has to go and Brown cannot start anymore at RT.  Pocic, Risner and especially Taylor would anchor the right side. We'd have to do some serious cap shuffling. 

I ran this out.  I can fit those three players with about 13M cap hit in 2023.  I offset some of that with a 6M savings from Morse.  So where would I get the other 7 from, just to get back to baseline?  Von Miller, I turn his 13.5M roster bonus (guaranteed already) into a signing bonus prorate it 2.7M a year starting in 2024, and save 13.5M against this years cap.  

I would not cut Morse to save cap money, as one will only need to spend more than the savings on another player, and Morse is arguably the strongest performer on the OL.  Given Morse’s concussion history, the team does need to think about drafting an eventual replacement. At best I think they’ll be able to afford signing one starting level O-lineman.  Otherwise, they’re going to need to build this group up via the draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.