Time to go all in on the OL - The grades

ArdmoreRyno

Honestly sick of watching our quarter billion dollar QB run for his life on every play. When Josh has time to throw the ball, he might be one of the best QB's in league history... but we've invested so much into building a defense to stop Kansas City, which has been great during the regular season, we've done nothing to protect JA. 

I absolutely love Dion, but he's really-really bad. I just watched the edited down replay from the NFL today and he held or was smoked on EVERY DOWN. It's been an issue all for him. Somehow he's graded 24th in regards to tackles by PFF.

Let's review our draft picks for our OL the past few years... 

Luke Tenuta - 6th round - released in the pre-season

Spencer Brown - 3rd round - allowed 36 QB pressures in 2021. Allowed 42 pressures in 2022. He's currently ranked 76th in the NFL at the tackle position. There are teams with 4 tackles ranked higher than Spencer. 

Tommy Doyle - 5th round - Has never started in 2 years. Tore his ACL this year against Miami. His pass blocking grade is worse than Spencer's

Jack Anderson - 7th ground - Practice squad and now he's on the Giants roster. Was on the 2 deep for a while and graded out better than Brown and Doyle pass blocking in '22. 

NONE DRAFTED

Cody Ford - 2nd round - Now with the Cardinals. One of the worst rated guards in the NFL ever since he was drafted by Buffalo. 

Wyatt Teller - 5th round - Traded to Cleveland in 2020 for 2 picks (ended up being Fromm and Hodgins). Teller is now one of the best guards in the NFL (2x All-Pro). He's rated 17th overall in the NFL. Side note: Cleveland has two of the best guards in the league with Teller and Bitonio.

Let's review the 2 deep.... 

Dion Dawkins - 24th rated tackle

Rodger Saffold - 74th rated guard

Mitch Morris - 24th rated center

Ryan Bates - 42nd rated guard

Spencer Brown - 76th ranked guard

David Quessenberry - 68th ranked tackle

Bobby Hart - NR (guard) - Only played 128 snaps this year

Greg Van Roten - 52nd ranked guard

Ike Boettger - NR (guard) - Only played 6 snaps this year due to injury

WHY DON'T WE INVEST IN OUR OFFENSIVE LINE?!?!?! We have 2 guys on the team we've drafted since 2018 on the line. TWO. I won't even begin to go over who has been drafted for other teams that are solid starters now, after some of our busts draft picks.

FREE AGENTS

Ben Powers - G - Baltimore 

Isaac Seumalo  - G - Philly

Dalton Risner - G - Denver

Mike McGlinchey - T - SF

Orlando Brown Jr. - T - KC

Kaleb McGary - T - Atlanta

Jawaan Taylor - T - Jax

Kelvin Beachum - T - Arizona

Edited by ArdmoreRyno
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

All of the resources go to McD’s silly defense. I don’t think Beane has any say. 5-6 years in and we still don’t have a single good lineman. That’s really hard to do.

Maybe they’re just afraid to draft another after the Cody Ford fiasco. Remember when they shot a video showing how much they pretended to want Ford?  Yeah, sure that was your target. Lol

Edited by Governor
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

At the end of the day you have to find guys who fit. I mean the Bengals went out and got a bit time player in L'ael Collins, meh guys like Ted Karras, Alex Cappa, and Cordell Volson in the 4th round and it totally changed their line. It is not about investment, it is about finding good players who fit your scheme. Jackson Carman, the second round pick a few years ago dominated our team yesterday. 

The Bills have invested money and some draft picks. They really have not found great players. 

• Like (+1) 2

IMO it's more coaching and scheme than talent, because cinci had a not great line and it got hurt and they put out a trash heap and dominated our trash DL.  we obv do need talent, lots of it and fast, but the coaching and the scheme is a bigger and more fixable thing IMO

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Honestly sick of watching our quarter billion dollar QB run for his life on every play. When Josh has time to throw the ball, he might be one of the best QB's in league history... but we've invested so much into building a defense to stop Kansas City, which has been great during the regular season, we've done nothing to protect JA. 

I absolutely love Dion, but he's really-really bad. I just watched the edited down replay from the NFL today and he held or was smoked on EVERY DOWN. It's been an issue all for him. Somehow he's graded 24th in regards to tackles by PFF.

Spencer Brown - 3rd round - allowed 36 QB pressures in 2021. Allowed 42 pressures in 2022. He's currently ranked 76th in the NFL at the tackle position. There are teams with 4 tackles ranked higher than Spencer. 

Tommy Doyle - 5th round - Has never started in 2 years. Tore his ACL this year against Miami. His pass blocking grade is worse than Spencer's

Jack Anderson - 7th ground - Practice squad and now he's on the Giants roster. Was on the 2 deep for a while and graded out better than Brown and Doyle pass blocking in '22. 

NONE DRAFTED

Cody Ford - 2nd round - Now with the Cardinals. One of the worst rated guards in the NFL ever since he was drafted by Buffalo. 

Wyatt Teller - 5th round - Traded to Cleveland in 2020 for 2 picks (ended up being Fromm and Hodgins). Teller is now one of the best guards in the NFL (2x All-Pro). He's rated 17th overall in the NFL. Side note: Cleveland has two of the best guards in the league with Teller and Bitonio.

WHY DON'T WE INVEST IN OUR OFFENSIVE LINE?!?!?! We have 2 guys on the team we've drafted since 2018 on the line. TWO. I won't even begin to go over who has been drafted for other teams that are solid starters now, after some of our busts draft picks.

Outside of Allen, maybe Edmunds, they have failed miserably drafting.  Wasted tons of high draft capital for nothing on defense 

A bunch of years ago, Cowherd quoted an anonymous NFL scout saying the OL is the hardest position group to project to the NFL from college. This was due to the proliferation of single read spread offenses in college. No one is asked to hold a block while a QB runs through his progressions. The OTs that are easy to project go in the top of the first round while the others are all crapshoots. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

NONE DRAFTED

They overrated Saffold.  They thought they were getting a one year fix @ LG.  They thought wrong.  

Brown was drafted to be our RT.  He’s 6’8 and has back problems. They were hoping he’d be a solid RT.  They were wrong.

Bates looked to be an emerging starter.  We retained him. He was below average. 

Morse and Dawkins are solid starters.  Neither are great. 2 poor players- 1 below average player and 2 solid starters + a rookie OC that doesn’t really seem to have a plan = going home early. 

so now what?  Get a legit LG and RT.  Let brown be our swing tackle.  Might have to replace Morse too.  Beane has his work cut out for him.  Drafting OL doesn’t seem to be something our FO does well and we don’t have much $ until we start mortgaging the future. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I think you mean 76th ranked Tackle for Brown.

Still ... horrible numbers (I mentioned this in the bumped Orlovsky thread), and it's not like the eye test disagrees.

One of the other issues: unwillingness to adapt during the season. Saffold started bad, was bad in the middle, and if possible even worse at the end. A sub-replacement level player this year, which means "find some guy on someone's practice squad and see if he can do better." Morris helped us a lot when he got here, but 24th rated Center is out of, umm, 32 starting Centers. Brown is a failed project. I thought that would become apparent early this year. It did, but then Quessenberry was just as bad, so there really wasn't anyone else to turn to. It is a garbage line with only one keeper (Dawkins), and even he is at best a bit better than average.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Brown was drafted to be our RT.  He’s 6’8 and has back problems. They were hoping he’d be a solid RT.  They were wrong.

Exactly. From Brown's NFL scouting report pre-draft:

Brown was a first-team all-state pick as a prep after catching seven touchdown passes and racking up 17 quarterback sacks. He was also an all-conference pick in basketball and baseball, so Panthers coaches decided to take that size and athleticism and make him an offensive lineman. After redshirting 2016 to learn the position and get bigger, Brown started five games at right tackle before suffering a season-ending injury. He started 12 of 13 games played at that spot in 2018 before becoming a second-team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference selection as a 14-game starter at right tackle his junior year. UNI postponed its 2020 fall football season until the spring, but Brown decided to move on to the next level and accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl

He's a long, lean basketball player/TE (until he started trying to pump himself up to NFL tackle size) guy who really seems to have hit his ceiling. A project that isn't working, and they've stuck with him far too long. Projects like that shouldn't be plugged into an O line with an expensive franchise QB to protect on a team that is built to win today. They should have a chance to develop on some Texans type team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I think you mean 76th ranked Tackle for Brown.

Still ... horrible numbers (I mentioned this in the bumped Orlovsky thread), and it's not like the eye test disagrees.

One of the other issues: unwillingness to adapt during the season. Saffold started bad, was bad in the middle, and if possible even worse at the end. A sub-replacement level player this year, which means "find some guy on someone's practice squad and see if he can do better." Morris helped us a lot when he got here, but 24th rated Center is out of, umm, 32 starting Centers. Brown is a failed project. I thought that would become apparent early this year. It did, but then Quessenberry was just as bad, so there really wasn't anyone else to turn to. It is a garbage line with only one keeper (Dawkins), and even he is at best a bit better than average.

Seems like a fair assessment.  I pull a kc last year and redo the entire line. Maybe keep Dawkins and move him to rt.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I realize you can't replace the entire OL in one offseason.  Let's say we can keep 2 guys, who are they?  Is Dorkins worth keeping?

Dawkins and Bates stay because there is too much dead cap when you cut them. I think they will have to cut Morse to open something like 8 million in Cap Space. If that is the case you move Bates to center. They probably stick with Brown, then you have to find two guards. 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

NONE DRAFTED

FREE AGENTS

Ben Powers - G - Baltimore 

Isaac Seumalo  - G - Philly

Dalton Risner - G - Denver

Mike McGlinchey - T - SF

Orlando Brown Jr. - T - KC

Kaleb McGary - T - Atlanta

Jawaan Taylor - T - Jax

Kelvin Beachum - T - Arizona

It's borderline criminal what this coaching staff apparently thinks Josh should be able to work with.

If it weren't for Josh's mobility, this year's Bills probably set a new record for sacks taken in a season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Dawkins and Bates stay because there is too much dead cap when you cut them. I think they will have to cut Morse to open something like 8 million in Cap Space. If that is the case you move Bates to center. They probably stick with Brown, then you have to find two guards. 

Who was Morse's backup at C. Van Rotten?  Bates?  I feel like we've had decent C play when Morse has gone down.  Plus, with his concussion history, guy should retire and we can use his cap elsewhere.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.