Saffold said guys were "exhausted" this week and "out of gas"

Einstein

33 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

This was a strange season. It was pretty clear they were out of gas Sunday. 

The injury bug decimated them this year. And those are just the injuries we know about. Who knows how many guys were out there playing thru stuff. I believe every opening day defensive starter missed at least one game this year. 

A blizzard rolled thru town and cost them a home game. Then three games in 12 days. Von Miller done for the year. Damar Hamlin drops dead on the field. Game gets cancelled. Team is rattled after nearly losing a brother.

It is what it is...just doesn't work out the way we want sometimes. I feel bad for us fans. I mean, I feel bad for the players as well but not too bad. I mean, most of them are leaving the stadium in really nice cars taking them to really nice houses with families and fat bank accounts. (yes I know a practice squad guy might not be making mad bank but he's doing a lot better than most of us). 

Every team deals with injuries.  So what if they had to deal with getting to the airport because of snow for one game.  Hamlin is different but the fact he pulled through like he did should have invigored them.  Im not buying any of this as a reason to lay down playing for a championship.

• Agree 5

13 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Someone said it before, but it feels like they had almost lost the enjoyment of playing football - and this was before Hamlin’s collapse. In the last two years it was fun watching the Bills and they seemed to be having fun on the field. This year felt attritional, one game at a time, oh it’s a win, hooray, oh it’s a loss, boo, move on. Next game. Particularly, and I don’t know why this is the case, after the bye. It’s as though they had momentum and lost it during that break, never to return. Everything felt difficult, nothing came simple, and every single player, for the most part, didn’t play to the best of their ability.

Agreed.  The Allen/Diggs hug in Detroit sums it up.  Relief, but not joy. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Agree 1

On 1/23/2023 at 9:54 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

I have to agree.

What about all the chatter about Frazier deserves a HC job blah blah blah?  Where is that now?  

As someone else mentioned I think we get a 3rd rnd pick if some team grabs him which would be a win- win for the Bills.

Since Frazier’s contract now ends, they don’t have to do anything but hope he just goes away.

After he checks with Beane on the status of a new contract for a few weeks, he might get the message.  Then they just announce that they mutually agreed to part ways.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/23/2023 at 12:23 PM, Einstein said:

Ouch.

“Guys were exhausted during the week and our coaches did the best they could try to modify the week . . . but there was just uncharacteristic things that were kind of happening . . . I have to kind of put that into effect and not as an excuse just this team has been fighting for so long and fighting through all of this adversity you almost run out of gas at some point,” Saffold said

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/23/rodger-saffold-on-bills-loss-you-almost-run-out-of-gas-at-some-point/

As someone who lost friends while on the Army, these things take a toll.  You might seem fine but you are mentally and emotionally worn out.  I could tell that they were running on fumes last week.  They needed a break but unfortunately that is not how things work in the NFL 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It’s an explanation, and they did have more to deal with than any other team, but still should’ve worked through it.

They have no one to blame, but themselves.  This was by far the worst I’ve seen perform this year.  The MN loss was Flutie, the best as we know in Miami, and the Jets legitimately beat us.

This game was just miserable to watch.

• Agree 1

all i would say is, did our team get better no, the coaching as been bad most of the season. we could end up being the third best team in our division. All i want is the bills that fight for every play, sick and tired of hearing too tired. dc must go and dorsey you have had your bedding in , show us what you have got...as mgk said. the game was over in first quarter...

On 1/23/2023 at 12:34 PM, colin said:

diggs wasn't, he was fired up when guys had their heads down.

so, buffalo was a hot item this offseason, we saw on tape miller talk to his dad about joining in order to chase a ring on a 3rd team.  i think miller figured, ok this is my best shot at more glory.  once the going got tough, the team started to lose focus and energy, all the emotional crap w hamlin, the neutral site stuff, our team lost focus.

thats on the coaches as much as anyone else.  our team has a toughness problem.

"The emotional crap w hamlin." I hope you're just being flippant and not dismissing the fact their teammate and friend died on the field in front of them. Cuz if not, that's just sick.

15 minutes ago, ohiotim said:

"The emotional crap w hamlin." I hope you're just being flippant and not dismissing the fact their teammate and friend died on the field in front of them. Cuz if not, that's just sick.

nope.  leaning into it so hard, bringing him into the locker room DURING THE GAME in some like made for TV moment, constant media presence.  it got out of control and the team lost focus.  it took on a life of its own, and instead of it being a buffalo locker room thing, it became a national attention thing.  the team should have had visits and interactions w hamlin and kept it in house.  the team should have skipped practice and mollycoddled players weeks after the incident.  the guy has had a pretty fortunate recovery and it should not have been impacting the team last week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, colin said:

nope.  leaning into it so hard, bringing him into the locker room DURING THE GAME in some like made for TV moment, constant media presence.  it got out of control and the team lost focus.  it took on a life of its own, and instead of it being a buffalo locker room thing, it became a national attention thing.  the team should have had visits and interactions w hamlin and kept it in house.  the team should have skipped practice and mollycoddled players weeks after the incident.  the guy has had a pretty fortunate recovery and it should not have been impacting the team last week.

It made zero difference.  The game was over within the first 3 minutes.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

It made zero difference.  The game was over within the first 3 minutes.

look, we may have never won that game even playing our best given injuries and the talent difference/match up, but IMO our annual quit game came at the worst possible time and this was it.  we lost after the 2nd or 3rd drive largely because the team quit and that is a result of coaching and preparation perhaps even more so than the players and their emotions 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/23/2023 at 6:00 PM, Thurman#1 said:

It really is not ridiculous at all. Nor pathetic. And certainly not insulting in any sense of the word, that's absolute nonsense.

You and I may not like it. But they're human. Humans aren't computers. They have bad days. Their emotions affect performance. They can't always perform as well as they'd like to. 

All of us, not just them. There isn't one of us hasn't had a bad day at an important time in our life.

Still plenty of reason for us to be frustrated. And them too.

It is insulting.  Taking other peoples tragedies and blaming them for your weak performance.  None of those tragedies made the DL suck, made the CBs play off the WR, etc. Sorry, not buying it.  Excuses every year for McD.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

On 1/25/2023 at 11:29 AM, colin said:

And this is why I read but rarely post. Think because you bought a hat players are inhuman robots that should die for you. Enjoy that karma.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, ohiotim said:

And this is why I read but rarely post. Think because you bought a hat players are inhuman robots that should die for you. Enjoy that karma.

lol, is asking millionaire pro athletes to prepare and put in effort in the biggest game of their careers weeks after their teammate has recovered from a traumatic injury the same thing as working a robot to death?

hoping management applies a little discretion to the event rather than flip it into a media frenzy, im worse than the spartan's with the helots!!

On 1/24/2023 at 1:41 PM, Lost said:

Couldn't muster up 3 hours of effort to get over that hump so now instead they get to slog through another 7-8 months next year just to maybe get to the same spot that they were at 3pm on Sunday.

And that’s a big maybe…they will have to shed a lot in the off-season to get under the cap

18 hours ago, colin said:

lol, is asking millionaire pro athletes to prepare and put in effort in the biggest game of their careers weeks after their teammate has recovered from a traumatic injury the same thing as working a robot to death?

hoping management applies a little discretion to the event rather than flip it into a media frenzy, im worse than the spartan's with the helots!!

Yes. Because the occupational hazards are real. Most will be out of the game in a few years, but the effects of the game will linger on for many as a detriment to themselves and others in society.  That's the big thing. They are damaged and then sent back into society broken.   Sound familar?

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes. Because the occupational hazards are real. Most will be out of the game in a few years, but the effects of the game will linger on for many as a detriment to themselves and others in society.  That's the big thing. They are damaged and then sent back into society broken.   Sound familar?

you are comparing playing a game to being in the military and fighting in a war ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

you are comparing playing a game to being in the military and fighting in a war ?

Both send them back into society broken. Both are exposed to death. So yeah I guess after what happened the risks are real. 

This is no time for a pissing contest. Both bring their occupational hazards of injury and death.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.