Saffold said guys were "exhausted" this week and "out of gas"

Einstein

6 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

What about our defensive coach especially, fires these guys up? He literally just kept playing the same defense after they got up by 14. They didn't force a 3rd down until the 3rd drive. Yes that's on the players to but old Leslie didn't help out at all by trying anything different. Let's just back off every receiver that has any sort of skill in this league time and time again. I'm sorry his time is up on this team. Hopefully Bean and McDermott have the testicular fortitude to make a change, a needed change none the less.

our defensive coach is a corpse of a turtle of a man.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Curious what he meant by "there was just uncharacteristic things that were kind of happening" - sounds like in this quote he was referring to the week specifically - not necessarily all the other stuff that had happened prior

I was thinking the same thing, an example of an uncharacteristic thing or two would be helpful.

1 hour ago, jhh9327 said:

You really think this team beats Cinci if this game happened two months ago?  I honestly don't.  I'm not saying the emotional toll didn't play any factor yesterday, but this was a flawed team that has been showing those flaws for quite a while and Cinci is designed well to take advantage of those. 

I think this team beats the Bengals if the game was played before the bye.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Saffold was a bad signing from the start. Beane needs to stop building a line from the scrap heap.

Well when all your top draft capital and FA money is used on defense, have to scrape the barrel for offense.  McBean needs to be in the spotlight now.  Bad defensive drafting got us where we are now

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

19 minutes ago, Process said:

Earlier in the year Josh was running guys over and getting up laughing in their face. We haven't seen that guy in a while. 

Something has been off with this team for two months now.

I mentioned this in a thread about a month ago.

Something seems "off". No idea what it is, but its not JUST bad play. There is a "feeling" (for lack of better word) that this team lost.

• Agree 4

13 minutes ago, nucci said:

The Hamlin incident was very stressful and I'm sure had a big effect on the team. If you need to some time off that's understandable but he survived and is ok. He was even at the game. Not a great excuse for yesterday

Not what the majority of posters on TBD said.  Many fans were calling the season a wash and didn’t care how how the season finished as long as Hamlin pulled through.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

It was definitely the case that they had no chance to win that game yesterday. They appeared to have no interest in being there at all. 

This team has flaws, but if they played their A game yesterday, they win. Unfortunately, the best they have mustered since Green Bay has been a string of C games and that clunker yesterday. They certainly faced a lot of adversity this year, but something has to change internally or it’s hard to see them getting through a full season being consistently excellent.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillzFreak said:

What about our defensive coach especially, fires these guys up? He literally just kept playing the same defense after they got up by 14. They didn't force a 3rd down until the 3rd drive. Yes that's on the players to but old Leslie didn't help out at all by trying anything different. Let's just back off every receiver that has any sort of skill in this league time and time again. I'm sorry his time is up on this team. Hopefully Bean and McDermott have the testicular fortitude to make a change, a needed change none the less.

I have to agree.

What about all the chatter about Frazier deserves a HC job blah blah blah?  Where is that now?  

As someone else mentioned I think we get a 3rd rnd pick if some team grabs him which would be a win- win for the Bills.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

At the end of the day I have to put that on McDermott. They have dealt with a ton of adversity and he has held it together, but in the end it wasn't enough. Is the roster too old? too young? IDK, it did seem like they were sleepwalking, but these guys are supposed to be professionals. They need to be held accountable. 

Bengals dealt with ridiculous injuries and it was next man up. Hubbard and Hendrickson have been playing hurt most of the year and the Oline was in shambles. Scrap heap OL dudes playing and making it happen. 

McDermott always talked about humble and hungry. I did not see that with the Bills, I saw it with the Bengals. They were hungry and had something to prove. (not so humble)

Bengals lost their CB1 early in the year.

They also had to deal with the Hamlin game.

Their DE's, as you point out, have been playing injured.

They lost 3/5 of their starting OL right before the Playoffs.

Yet they were able to not just persevere, but got stronger from it.  Took every piece of motivation they could get and used it as an edge.  

We won't admit it, but I think our players very much started feeling sorry for themselves. 

• Agree 5

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What a bunch of horseshit.

(not directed to you, Einstein)

Coming from you this is shocking. 

16 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Well, we know Roger was clearly out of gas based on his play yesterday.

I do believe there is a truth in there.  Everything was hard this year - basically from the moment that Hyde and Dane Jackson were injured during the second half of week 2 (let's not forget that was a very scary situation at the time) and then it was one unfortunate event after another.  I believe the Hamlin thing was likely the straw that finally broke the camel's back, but we were probably heading for a blowout in Cincy on MNF and yesterday's early exit regardless.  What you saw yesterday was a joyless, defeated, husk of a team that looked as if they were being forced to show up for another week of work, instead of a pumped, excited bunch of guys looking forward to a great opportunity.    

I agree. The shock of watching Damar die and be brought back to life.

This week also coincidentally was the week Hamlin was coming into the facility. Maybe that wasn't such a smart move from a motivation factor...

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Process said:

Earlier in the year Josh was running guys over and getting up laughing in their face. We haven't seen that guy in a while. 

Something has been off with this team for two months now.

Yep.  The whole team has been mediocre for months now.  In the case of Allen, I thought for sure we would see “I’m taking off and no one is stopping me” Allen the last two weeks.  Didn’t see him. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.