Saffold said guys were "exhausted" this week and "out of gas"

Einstein

Bad look.

Three years in a row we've ended the season in similar fashion without making it to the Super Bowl.

There's some validity here... nobody wants to hear it, and any player echoing it should be embarrassed in doing so.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Curious what he meant by "there was just uncharacteristic things that were kind of happening" - sounds like he was referring to the week specifically - not all the other stuff that had happened prior

Maybe the team ate some bad oysters or something and don't want to look for excuses.  

At the end of the day I have to put that on McDermott. They have dealt with a ton of adversity and he has held it together, but in the end it wasn't enough. Is the roster too old? too young? IDK, it did seem like they were sleepwalking, but these guys are supposed to be professionals. They need to be held accountable. 

Bengals dealt with ridiculous injuries and it was next man up. Hubbard and Hendrickson have been playing hurt most of the year and the Oline was in shambles. Scrap heap OL dudes playing and making it happen. 

McDermott always talked about humble and hungry. I did not see that with the Bills, I saw it with the Bengals. They were hungry and had something to prove. (not so humble)

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Waaaahhh.   Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on your way out the door.  Go run out of gas somewhere else next year.  

Ohh they will, and we'll be left with pieces of what once was... they went through a TON of crap this season and they aren't robots. Garbage take.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

They can spare me with this stuff. You played one fewer game than virtually everyone else. You were at home. You showed no heart whatsoever.

There's something weird going on with this team mentally, and it has nothing to do with Hamlin or blizzards. Tough to put my finger on, but it's there. Wonder if there's some type of infighting we're unaware of.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

Just now, astb41 said:

If Allen doesn’t fumble vs Vikings or Allen hits McKenize for the go ahead TD in Miami, we get the bye and a week off and maybe things are different

yes, we lose the chip game after sneaking one over jaxonville instead of miami.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, colin said:

diggs wasn't, he was fired up when guys had their heads down.

so, buffalo was a hot item this offseason, we saw on tape miller talk to his dad about joining in order to chase a ring on a 3rd team.  i think miller figured, ok this is my best shot at more glory.  once the going got tough, the team started to lose focus and energy, all the emotional crap w hamlin, the neutral site stuff, our team lost focus.

thats on the coaches as much as anyone else.  our team has a toughness problem.

What about our defensive coach especially, fires these guys up? He literally just kept playing the same defense after they got up by 14. They didn't force a 3rd down until the 3rd drive. Yes that's on the players to but old Leslie didn't help out at all by trying anything different. Let's just back off every receiver that has any sort of skill in this league time and time again. I'm sorry his time is up on this team. Hopefully Bean and McDermott have the testicular fortitude to make a change, a needed change none the less.

Edited by BillzFreak
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

18 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Ouch.

“Guys were exhausted during the week and our coaches did the best they could try to modify the week . . . but there was just uncharacteristic things that were kind of happening . . . I have to kind of put that into effect and not as an excuse just this team has been fighting for so long and fighting through all of this adversity you almost run out of gas at some point,” Saffold said

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/23/rodger-saffold-on-bills-loss-you-almost-run-out-of-gas-at-some-point/

Saffold said players “haven’t been able to take a breath since the Damar situation” in reference to safety Damar Hamlin going into cardiac arrest during the team’s Week 17 game in Cincinnati and it was clear that the situation took a toll on the Bills emotionally over the last few weeks. They’ll have a chance to catch their breath now, but it will be a long time before they’ll get a chance to show that they’ve regained their footing on the field.

Frankly, I wondered at the time if the team weren't kind of flogging it too much to hand out #3 pendants and bring Hamlin into the locker room.

It obviously was a lift to the team's spirits to know that Hamlin was mentally OK, but he's physically weak as hell right now.  Showing him to the Bills team right before they faced a rematch with the team that (however fluky) put him in that debilitated condition, may not have been the best inspirational move.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If true even more of indictment of this coaching staff and being soft. Yes they have been through a lot, but the there has been chatter of being soft for a few years. McD does not have the killer instinct or scheme needed to win it all. This is Allen ball or bust. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

If true even more of indictment of this coaching staff and being soft. Yes they have been through a lot, but the there has been chatter of being soft for a few years. McD does not have the killer instinct or scheme needed to win it all. This is Allen ball or bust. 

I will add that doesn't mean he needs to go. But his OC and DC better be guys that bring some energy and carry some weight. 

2 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

They can spare me with this stuff. You played one fewer game than virtually everyone else. You were at home. You showed no heart whatsoever.

There's something weird going on with this team mentally, and it has nothing to do with Hamlin or blizzards. Tough to put my finger on, but it's there. Wonder if there's some type of infighting we're unaware of.

Great take. Agree 100%.

Boggles the mind that mentally, they weren't up for this game. If Hamlin had died, or was still in a coma, then maybe that would have been a *good* excuse. As it was, they had Hamlin on hand yesterday to inspire them.

The reality is that this team has not been playing championship football for a couple months now, and they finally got exposed by a very good team.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Ouch.

“Guys were exhausted during the week and our coaches did the best they could try to modify the week . . . but there was just uncharacteristic things that were kind of happening . . . I have to kind of put that into effect and not as an excuse just this team has been fighting for so long and fighting through all of this adversity you almost run out of gas at some point,” Saffold said

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/23/rodger-saffold-on-bills-loss-you-almost-run-out-of-gas-at-some-point/

Utter BS.  They are professional athletes with a week between games to get un-emotionally-drained. Plus this wasn't some meaningless game, if was the freaking playoffs ... AT HOME for gods sake.  The Bengals out GM'd (players), coached, and played the Bills and as much is it may sting,  it's really as simple as that.  Making or accepting excuses isn't going to help. I'm not a "fire everyone" person, but the Bills organization needs to recognize the situation before it can be corrected.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.