Saffold said guys were "exhausted" this week and "out of gas"

Einstein

Ouch.

“Guys were exhausted during the week and our coaches did the best they could try to modify the week . . . but there was just uncharacteristic things that were kind of happening . . . I have to kind of put that into effect and not as an excuse just this team has been fighting for so long and fighting through all of this adversity you almost run out of gas at some point,” Saffold said

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/23/rodger-saffold-on-bills-loss-you-almost-run-out-of-gas-at-some-point/

• Like (+1) 9
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Whatever other factors contributed, I'm sure this is at least part of the issue.

As long as there isn't a tell all that comes out later saying they were all up drinking and puking their guts out Saturday night, i'm willing to chalk this up to a confluence of unforseen events.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 2

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Ouch.

“Guys were exhausted during the week and our coaches did the best they could try to modify the week . . . but there was just uncharacteristic things that were kind of happening . . . I have to kind of put that into effect and not as an excuse just this team has been fighting for so long and fighting through all of this adversity you almost run out of gas at some point,” Saffold said

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/23/rodger-saffold-on-bills-loss-you-almost-run-out-of-gas-at-some-point/

What a bunch of horseshit.

(not directed to you, Einstein)

• Like (+1) 7
  • Vomit 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 5

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Exactly what I said with so many people trying to say that isn't it.

You really think this team beats Cinci if this game happened two months ago?  I honestly don't.  I'm not saying the emotional toll didn't play any factor yesterday, but this was a flawed team that has been showing those flaws for quite a while and Cinci is designed well to take advantage of those. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

diggs wasn't, he was fired up when guys had their heads down.

so, buffalo was a hot item this offseason, we saw on tape miller talk to his dad about joining in order to chase a ring on a 3rd team.  i think miller figured, ok this is my best shot at more glory.  once the going got tough, the team started to lose focus and energy, all the emotional crap w hamlin, the neutral site stuff, our team lost focus.

thats on the coaches as much as anyone else.  our team has a toughness problem.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Ouch.

Saffold is one of the last guys I want to hear from. The dude looked like a friggin' turnstyle yesterday.  He's looked bad all year and hasn't remotely earned what we paid him to come here.  Now he says he wants to stay.  Hard pass.

And if they can't get up for a game that's 2 away from a SB, then that's on them and the coaching staff. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Curious what he meant by "there was just uncharacteristic things that were kind of happening" - sounds like in this quote he was referring to the week specifically - not necessarily all the other stuff that had happened prior

The players are on record that the events of the year contributed to an overall level of "exhaustion" - but this seems like something specific was going on last week

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Saffold was a bad signing from the start. Beane needs to stop building a line from the scrap heap.

I'm hoping Doyle pushes Brown for the RT spot. But we need an influx of young cheap talent on the oline via the top 3 rounds of the draft.  draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, we know Roger was clearly out of gas based on his play yesterday.

I do believe there is a truth in there.  Everything was hard this year - basically from the moment that Hyde and Dane Jackson were injured during the second half of week 2 (let's not forget that was a very scary situation at the time) and then it was one unfortunate event after another.  I believe the Hamlin thing was likely the straw that finally broke the camel's back, but we were probably heading for a blowout in Cincy on MNF and yesterday's early exit regardless.  What you saw yesterday was a joyless, defeated, husk of a team that looked as if they were being forced to show up for another week of work, instead of a pumped, excited bunch of guys looking forward to a great opportunity.    

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 8

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.