Elephant in the Room

IronyAbounds

Most folks here are pointing to areas where the Bills need improvement: the OL (absolutely), the WR crew (quite possibly), the secondary (quite possibly), the DL (seems likely after yesterday, but it may depend on whether Miller returns at a high level), RB (I'm not as concerned here). One little problem - exactly where do the Bills find the resources to bring in upgrades to those positions. Free Agency? Given the money to keep Allen and bring in Miller, there simply isn't the money to bring in quality FAs. Draft picks? The Bills have six. Fortunately they didn't get rid of any picks in the first 5 rounds (and actually have two in the 5th round). But as we have seen, Beane hasn't exactly been the most astute GM when it comes to drafting, and in any event, rookies always have a learning curve.

Injuries indisputably took a huge toll this year, but it isn't like all those injured guys will simply be plugged back into their positions for next year. The defense was hit the hardest, but who knows how well Miller or Hyde will bounce back, plus they'll be a year older (Miller will be 34 and Hyde 33, not exactly spring chickens in the NFL). White certainly didn't seem like his old self this year. Hamlin (bless his soul) almost certainly won't be back, Poyer is likely gone and the rest of the secondary is meh at best. 

The offense wasn't hurt all that much by injuries, certainly not any more than is typical to an NFL team, so it's not as though they will be getting a difference maker back on offense. Most people seem to think the WR position is in need of upgrade, but if you spend resources in that area, how do you address the other positions that seem far more in need (OL and secondary). Same thought with the running backs. The OL is in need of a major overhaul, but again, the Bills really won't be able to spend much on any OL free agent. Will there be a quality lineman early in the draft? I hope so, but then what about the DL, the secondary, the wide receivers and running backs? Is it reasonable to expect Beane to suddenly become a master draftsman and be able to plug all the gaps with 6 draft picks? Past history suggests otherwise.

The Bills have had a remarkable run the past four years becoming one of the top teams in the league. For that I'm grateful. It's just difficult to see how they get over the hump given the current situation with the existing talent and somewhat crimped resources. I'll admit, when it comes to the Bills, my pessimism springs eternal. Hopefully I'm overstating the problems and minimizing the avenues that exist to improve the team.

• Agree 2

The elephant in the room is that Allen has been bottom tier the second half of the season and is getting paid elite money.

Will the guy put in the necessary work in offseason to understand defensive schemes and to throw with anticipation?  Or will he spend all offseason traveling and playing golf and just play back yard ball every year?

As soon as defenses pick up on what Allen does in a season, he doesn't adapt.  I question if he is smart enough to think as quick as the top guys do.

• Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Disagree 26
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 5

This isn't an elephant in the room -- we all know that the difficulty level gets dialed up now that Allens' contract kicks in and we have to make tough decisions about our own free agents.  

Going forward, the Bills are going to need to prioritize what they want to be good at and live with being weak someplace. But they need to be genuinely good at whatever they choose to emphasize.  In other words, we can't pour half a dozen draft picks and massive FA contracts into the DL and then have the DL be so-so.  They need to succeed at whatever they set out to succeed at.

Personally, I would feature the OL, and after that the WRs.  You have an all-world QB.  Build around him.  If that means that the defense becomes kind of average, that's okay.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

This isn't an elephant in the room -- we all know that the difficulty level gets dialed up now that Allens' contract kicks in and we have to make tough decisions about our own free agents.  

Going forward, the Bills are going to need to prioritize what they want to be good at and live with being weak someplace. But they need to be genuinely good at whatever they choose to emphasize.  In other words, we can't pour half a dozen draft picks and massive FA contracts into the DL and then have the DL be so-so.  They need to succeed at whatever they set out to succeed at.

Personally, I would feature the OL, and after that the WRs.  You have an all-world QB.  Build around him.  If that means that the defense becomes kind of average, that's okay.  

the defense is kind of average right now as it is

• Thank you (+1) 1

OL and WR early and often. Whatever position gets the 1st round pick also gets the 4th rounder. Use picks 2 & 3 on the other position. The defense has used up more than their fair share of resources over the last 6 years. If you can hold them, which they can't, then they'll have to outscore them.

6 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

0 sense signing Edmunds and Poyer back.

Use that money and invest it in the O line and WRs.

If I'm Buffalo I'm either keeping Edmunds or tagging and trading him. I wouldn't let him walk for free.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

We got beat badly yesterday by a patchwork O-Line, with their best lineman playing dinged up.  Their offensive system puts constant pressure on the D and they have 3 receivers who would be 1 or 2 on any team in the league.  Burrow doesn't extend plays, he is so bloody efficient DC's heads are spinning.

We need better WR's than Davis as #2, and Diggs is < Chase IMHO, and has a shorter shelf life.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

After the last few weeks, i'd settle for and improvement to 'kind of average'

11 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

The elephant in the room is that Allen has been bottom tier the second half of the season and is getting paid elite money.

Will the guy put in the necessary work in offseason to understand defensive schemes and to throw with anticipation?  Or will he spend all offseason traveling and playing golf and just play back yard ball every year?

As soon as defenses pick up on what Allen does in a season, he doesn't adapt.  I question if he is smart enough to think as quick as the top guys do.

This is actually laughable, did you even bother to check this?

Allen the 2nd half of the regular season:

15 pass TDs, 4 ints, 3 rushing TDs and 262 Total YPGs avg

Mahomes the 2nd half of regular season:
16 pass TDs, 5 ints, 3 rushing TDs and 282 Totatl YPG avg

Does Mahomes get figured out too?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

OL and WR early and often. Whatever position gets the 1st round pick also gets the 4th rounder. Use picks 2 & 3 on the other position. The defense has used up more than their fair share of resources over the last 6 years. If you can hold them, which they can't, then they'll have to outscore them.

If I'm Buffalo I'm either keeping Edmunds or tagging and trading him. I wouldn't let him walk for free.

If you tag him it would cost over 20 mil. Cause guys like TJ watt who are considered “linebackers” Jack up the price tag.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

If you tag him it would cost over 20 mil. Cause guys like TJ watt who are considered “linebackers” Jack up the price tag.

If they tagged him it would only be so he couldn't become a free agent. It's been done quite a bit where the team trading for the player works out a long range deal before the trade is finalized. But yeah I also didn't realize Watt & Von are considered LBers and not DEs. Would be very tough to keep him in that scenario.

For all the people bemoaning Josh Allen's contract: developments this next off-season are going to make his contract look like a bargain.

Baltimore's outrageous resigning of LB Roquan Smith to a gargantuan contract is just a hint of the craziness this off-season will bring.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

New Orleans says hi, perennially. 

The Saints have gone 9-8 and 7-10 in the last 2 seasons in arguably the weakest division in the league.

I'm not so sure that's who the Buffalo Bills want to emulate. 

Restructuring is a tool that Beane has used in the past and will in the future, but I believe too many fans think it's some magic bullet. 

Tough decisions will have to be made.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.