Rare Unity on TBD

Mark92

34 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not just us... WGR personalities are echoing the same sentiments.  Openly saying that all options should be on the table this off-season. 

For anyone not listening to WGR I highly recommend it. They are not happy with one bills drive this morning.  

10 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

So you are happy with running everything back next year?  Same everything just a few different players?

I am not in complete unity with this "Everyone needs to be fired!" mentality on the board.

However, I do agree that changes need to be made. 13 seconds was really tough to take, but yesterday was embarrassing.

I cannot dismiss McDermott. His record is very good and he's done a great job in making the Bills contenders. However, McDermott needs to have more pressure on him going forward. We cannot tolerate what happened yesterday and act like everything will be fine.

Brandon Beane is not going anywhere, and shouldn't be. He has a big task ahead of himself and big decisions need to be made. Primarily with the coaching staff. I'm confident that Beane will also make the right moves in free agency and I am not as hard on him when it comes to his drafts. I'm not saying that his drafts are perfect, but they are not garbage either.

Leslie Frazier has got to go. I've seen enough. We have talented players on defense, but this scheme and approach has let us down in the playoffs. I understand the debate over who's defensive scheme this really is, Frazier's or McDermott's? Regardless of that, it's time to move on and find someone else to run our defense.

Ken Dorsey is difficult to figure out. I'm not that big on giving up on someone after one season, but I wouldn't be upset if they did. What's difficult about the offense and their issues is figuring out the problems. Is it all Dorsey's fault? Does Josh Allen have to improvise all of the time? 

It's obvious that we need to fix the O-Line, and that we need help at Wide Receiver, but does that mean we need to fix our play calling to?

Watching the offense this season was strange. We have an all-world talent at quarterback, but it appears that we have to depend on him and only him to win us games. In the long run, that cannot continue. If there is someone else who can do a better job of running the offense, I'm willing to see.

As for the players, there are some who can leave and who can stay.

I'm not going to bring down the players who have only been here for a year or two, because I believe that players like that deserve time to improve.

As I stated earlier, we need to fix the O-Line. If Mitch Morse decides to retire, then we have a major problem.

We really need help with our Guard positions. At Tackle, I think we are alright. We still don't know what we have with Tommy Doyle.

Wide Receiver needs to be looked at greatly. We all know that Gabe Davis took a step back this year, and the Isaiah McKenzie experiment should come to an end. We really need someone to compliment Diggs. 

As far as defense goes, the biggest issue is Tremaine Edmunds. Do we keep him at all costs or let him walk. I like Edmunds, but if we let him go, so be it.

Jordan Poyer has been a fantastic Safety for us, but his time is up.

I'd like for us to keep Shaq Lawson, he played a lot better than I expected and he would be good depth.

Really hoping that Micah Hyde does not retire, we cannot have two holes at Safety.

That's all I've got right now. Changes need to be made, and I think the organization knows this. Yet, I don't think we need to blow it all up.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Yesterdays game was not about the coaches.

We were simply outmatched. Physically. 

The talent discrepancy was glaring.

Could the coaches have made better decisions to make it a bit closer? Sure. But the reason we lost is the Bengals are better.

We were certainly outcoached. The staff in Cinci has maximized the talent level of their players and called a great game. 

Joe Burrow was way too comfortable and literally made the correct throw almost every down. That is not ok when they have 3 backup offensive line. We made it really simple for their backups to play comfortably. No confusion...no pressure...no nothing.

Swap staffs and I believe we win the game.

Edited by Ramza86

Could the coaches have made better decisions to make it a bit closer? Sure. But the reason we lost is the Bengals are better.

sorry but I disagree coaching can and does make players better or worse...  why does a guy go from one team to another only to play at a prowl level...   Teller couldn't start in buffalo but in Cleveland he's a pro bowl player...  why because the coaches were asking him to do stuff he wasn't good at...   it happens all the time.  Do we have players that need to be upgraded 100% but the team that played yesterday lost 3 times all year...  they didn't just get bad over night.   they got out coached for the 4 time in the playoffs. 

Edited by gordong

2 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

For anyone not listening to WGR I highly recommend it. They are not happy with one bills drive this morning.  

You are correct how two first round picks in Oliver and Rousseau…and two second round picks in AJ and Boogie couldn’t get any pressure on a team with 3 backup lineman. Is something they are having a field day with. 

1 hour ago, Mark92 said:

We have a defensive minded head coach who's defense can't stop anything.  What I don't know is how much Control Frazier has.  Is the D his baby or does McDermott have Frazier run his system?  I think revamping OL and a new D Coordinator that can run their own system is what is needed.  I really liked this team and I hate that it ended this way.  

This is where I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

MCDermott has to sign off or be part of rhe defensive and offensive game planning you would think. 

I would love to know how much of this is on him. 

Same goes for talent evaluation and drafting influence.

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

For me it's simple, get Allen a top 5 NFL Offensive line and the Bills on O will be unstoppable. Throw in another Solid WR and we are golden.

Seriously, enough of our High resources on defense. I hope most fans and TBD see this as well. 

For the first 6 1/2 games (except for the Dolphins heat debacle) THIS YEAR, they did seem unstoppable. But since the 2nd half of that Packers game....and then Josh's elbow injury in the next game vs the Jets, things were very different.

5 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Been saying it for years, since a guy names Drew was QB. The Bills online is always a weak link. 

Agreed.  They've been doing the same crap for at least that long.  They get their QB in place,  give him a couple of good supporting pieces,  fill in the rest with low picks,  castoffs and assorted trash,  and then expect the QB to hold the whole mess together.  When it inevitably fails,  the front office and coaches all stand around like morons wondering WTF happened and why it didn't work.   They've been doing it for 25 years.  

1 hour ago, Seventeen said:

So you want to win offensive shootouts every week ? 

Ravens D did a decent job against the Bengals and & might have won if Lamar had played. 

Interior DL needs help - Poyer gone - Edmunds deal is not a sure thing - will Tre return to form - all things to consider.

The chiefs made the afc championship with one of the worst ranked defenses in the league. 

Time to get with the modern nfl.

Newsflash we lost both the last two playoff games one in a shootout, with these "statistically" awesome defenses.

Edited by Sharky7337

AH, so having Edmonds cover Chase on that first drive was due to being physically outmatched? Not coaching? 

3rd and 2 and we line Tre up SIX YARDS of Chase. That wasn't because of coaching? 

interesting hearing the comments from some of the players post game and fans watching warm ups.  Something was off this team is spent emotionally and the energy wasn't there.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mark92 said:

I don't post on here that often but I definitely lurk and read a lot.  I think we can all agree that it's rare to see such unity when it comes to a certain opinion.  Normally after the season ends you always get a thread or 2 about firing this coach or that coach or trading this player or that player.  What's unusual is it normally stops or you see rebuttal posts.  Yes it hasn't been 24 hrs yet but the majority of us realize something needs to change.  Is it the GM, the head coach, the Coordinators, position coach's or players?  Lots of opinions but we all seem to agree that major shakeup needs to happen.  We finally have Josh Allen here in Buffalo and we can't keep doing this.  If Beane truly wants to win a Super Bowl then EVERYTHING is on the table this morning.  Good job TBD and I hope we can keep their feet to the fire.  

Please don't confuse lack of expressing an opinion as "unity" with an opinion being expressed. 

A lot of sane and sensible posters normally avoid TBD for 24-48 hrs after a loss and even longer after a playoff loss.

So the opinions expressed may have merit, the opinions expressed may not have merit, but they don't represent "unity".

The Bills decided, after last year's playoff loss, that they needed to rebuild their DL, from the interior out. The two best players of the 4 they added didn't play, and 2 more were playing hurt.  We spent 1/5 of the game with Jaquan Johnson and Dean Marlowe as our safeties and half the game with Poyer and Jaquan Johnson.  We know Poyer has been playing on a torn meniscus.

Contrary to popular opinion, we CAN keep doing this or worse - and one of the ways to do that is to succumb to knee-jerk "fire everyone" itis.

There will be major changes among the players, because we can't afford to keep everyone.

I've been watching this team for over 30 years.  Grew up with the 90s Bills, and suffered through the drought.

One thing I've realized is... none of the other stuff matters, if you aren't able to bring home a Super Bowl championship.  Not long ago, younger fans were getting their first taste of success (in their lives) and that was enough.  But now after three seasons of feeling close, and then falling short... they are realizing the AFC East title doesn't mean jack.

I would rather this team shoots for the stars and totally misses the playoffs, than has another season like this.

15 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

The chiefs made the afc championship with one of the worst ranked defenses in the league. 

Time to get with the modern nfl.

Newsflash we lost both the last two playoff games one in a shootout, with these "statistically" awesome defenses.

https://www.covers.com/sport/football/nfl/statistics/team-defense/2022-2023

KC #11 in YPG and #16 in points allowed with ~21 PPG. Middle of the pack. 

SF has done pretty well with their D in the modern NFL as has Philly. 

I don't disagree that we need to spend on offense, but we can't neglect the D totally. 

Edited by Seventeen

12 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

I don't disagree that we need to spend on offense, but we can't neglect the D totally. 

Red zone defense KC is 31 out of 32.

Bills are like top 5.

So what is that getting us?

Edited by Sharky7337

In defense of Beane... the offense was seemingly unstoppable by the end of last season (and even at the beginning of this season). They didn't punt in like, 4 out of 5 games. It was the defense, primarily lack of pass rush that was this team's achilles heel. So, Beane went out and got Von Miller and for the first half of this season, the Bills pass rush was top 2 or 3 in the league. Then Von got hurt and everything went to *****. I can't blame Beane for that.

I don't know what happened to the offense this year. They got derailed at some point (some point out the Green Bay game) and never really got seemed to get it back. I remember at the beginning of the season saying that Josh was reading defenses pre-snap as well as Brady or Manning. He was efficient, always knew when to go to his hot reads, and knew when to take the big shots downfield. By the end of the year, it felt like Josh was not reading defenses well, and this felt most apparent in both playoff games. Against Miami and Cincinnati, Josh struggled to identify free rushers off the edge and both teams had success with blitzing Josh (something that was a death sentence to defenses in 2020 and 2021). 

I don't know what went wrong this year. It was probably a myriad of things all working together. For most of the year, I felt the o-line wasn't good enough. But then, yesterday, I watched Joe Burrow carve us up with 3 starters out on his o-line and it became very apparent that a QB who is reading the defense well can overcome a bad o-line by helping them know where pressure is coming from and getting the ball out quickly. Well, it also helped that Buffalo had never played on snow before and couldn't get their footing. 

I don't know what to feel today. I hope they invest heavily in the o-line and finally make a commitment to adding a running game. I'd like to see this team built more like Philadelphia. 

Anyway, I forgot what this thread was even about halfway through typing this. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

We've pretty much been neglecting the O in favor of the D on McD's watch.

Compare the day 1 & 2 draft picks.  Numerous D players, only 2 OL-men, none on day 1.  Ford, who sucks and is gone, and Brown.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.