Is McDermott Really Marty Shottenheimer in Disguise?

Barnaby Wilde

the marty comparison is a good one. marty was a great coach with great teams. but he got stuck in a conference with jim kelly and john elway.

mcdermott is a great coach. he's stuck in a conference with mahomes and now burrow. it is what it is. 

if the bills were in the nfc, they'd have made a super bowl one of the last three years.

6 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That is indeed the model since that’s what Beane and McD are familiar with. The scary part for Bills fans: watching Allen take a beating and knowing that Cam was effectively done before he was 30 …

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

oh, this is a good analogy.  And that got Cam's career killed.  Allen's agent should be on the phone with Pegs saying I'm either traded, sitting out, or McD and Bean are GONE.  Might be the only thing that saves this team.  Pegs is a pushover owner it seems (no changes after 13 seconds)

thats what you hate to think about… if Allen doesn’t decide he wants to play the game a long time and change his play, it’s going to Be a really short run. 

1 hour ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

No, what I’m saying is it is extremely hard to make it to the SB and I prefer 13-3 with a playoff win and an annual chance at going all the way over 8 and 9 win seasons.

Those were questionable 13 wins because the reality is, they didn't beat any good QB's but when they came up against one, they lost.  Clowning around against Miami, Vikings, and Jets gets you a short playoff game win then gone.  We know what Josh Allen can do and we also know he is not consistent enough.  He isn't a rookie anymore.  Joe Burrow overcame his patchwork offensive line and won the game while Josh went down with the ship.  

3 hours ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Chargers fired a coach after a 14 win season and followed it up with a ton of 7, 8, and 9 win seasons with an outlier here and there (both positive and negative). For all those people wanting a coaching change, is that really what you want to go back to?

Only two teams make the SB each year and I’m glad we consistently have a shot and consistently win playoff games each year. Unless McDermott has multiple losing seasons in a row, he should be employed in Buffalo as the HC until he chooses to retire.

So continued early exits from the playoffs is acceptable to you all the way until McD retires?  Yikes.

14 minutes ago, Reverse Meathead said:

Those were questionable 13 wins because the reality is, they didn't beat any good QB's but when they came up against one, they lost.  Clowning around against Miami, Vikings, and Jets gets you a short playoff game win then gone.  We know what Josh Allen can do and we also know he is not consistent enough.  He isn't a rookie anymore.  Joe Burrow overcame his patchwork offensive line and won the game while Josh went down with the ship.  

Okay. I’m also fine with the 11 wins from 2021 or the 13 from 2020, and a consistent chance at the SB.

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

So continued early exits from the playoffs is acceptable to you all the way until McD retires?  Yikes.

More so than firing him and winning 8 or 9 games every season, yes.

2 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Okay. I’m also fine with the 11 wins from 2021 or the 13 from 2020, and a consistent chance at the SB.

More so than firing him and winning 8 or 9 games every season, yes.

So I'll pose this question to you...If the organization is going to stick with the current coaching staff and their coaching philosophy, what's going to be the difference maker that gets this team to the next level?

McDermott is a classic example of a mid-tier coach who’s an outstanding builder of culture.  He rallies the troops and creates a great environment.  That said, he’s as good as the coaches around him and the talent of the players.  He’s not a guy that I look at and say, “look at that guy’s career after Sean got him”.  His system “works” at making DBs look better than they really are, but he also punishes those that want to show they are better, because it won’t fit his system.    

IF, he was willing to hand the reigns over to the coordinators fully and embrace change, he could be amazing.  He’s not that guy.  He’s cautious at base line and he’s going to lose offensive coaches because Allen is going to make them look good, so we will be stuck in a loop of a soft defense that will have to be carried by Allen’s O, which will have to be rebuilt every year he truly shines because the coordinator will be scooped up as a HC.  It’s a vicious cycle, I’d rather end now.  You are not going to win the AFC with the talent present, without being an offensive juggernaut, you won’t build that without losing the coordinator.  If they system leaves with them, you’re screwed.  So hire the offensive guru as the HC and maintain the system. 

22 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

So I'll pose this question to you...If the organization is going to stick with the current coaching staff and their coaching philosophy, what's going to be the difference maker that gets this team to the next level?

Changes at the coordinator level or at least variations in scheme, and committing resources to the O-line while committing to a more balanced offense. I think Cook combined with a bruiser style back can be the solution at RB.

I think it’s difficult to be consistently good with a defensive scheme that depends heavily on stud safeties. We saw what happens on the back end with injuries.

We need one additional impact player on each side of the ball. 

1 minute ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Changes at the coordinator level or at least variations in scheme, and committing resources to the O-line while committing to a more balanced offense. I think Cook combined with a bruiser style back can be the solution at RB.

I think it’s difficult to be consistently good with a defensive scheme that depends heavily on stud safeties. We saw what happens on the back end with injuries.

We need one additional impact player on each side of the ball. 

McD is a great guy and he was the right guy for what the team went through this season and was the right guy when this team was rebuilding.  I just don't see him as a championship-level coach.

IMO, Josh has carried this team and that masked many of the holes it has.  We'll see what happens this off-season.  If Josh isn't given help on the O-line and at WR, then they just don't get it.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Marvin Lewis

I grt you on the losing, but Marvin Lewis is like the anti-McDermott. First of all, he couldn't win a single playoff game. He also tolerated any and all behaviors from his players. I lived here for most of the Marvin Lewis era and Bengals players were in the news with DUIs and bar fights all the time. If it wasn't Pac Man Jones, it was Chris Henry, Chad Johnson or Vontaze Burfict. Bengals fans back then dreaded the bye week because something was going to happen. They were like the NFL version of the Portland Jailblazers. This not only caused PR problems, it bled onto the field. The Bengals were on their way to winning that 2016  WC game against the Steelers until the Burfict hit on AB.

This is the Marvin Lewis Bengals in a nutshell: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/03/bengals-cornerback-adam-jones-arrest

Unfortunately for some Buffalo Bills fans yes the playoffs yearly is good enough they forever make excuses and defend that bum Terry Pegula he does no wrong in there eyes. Again I call that forever mediocrity team it is ridiculous fire failure sell the team Terry Pegula. I am thankful I also follow the Buffalo Bulls football hardcore we win at UB and it is a lot more of a winning culture with UB Bulls football than the Buffalo Bills culture of just mediocrity and a tailgate it is pretty pathetic actually. Example UB Bulls football won the Camellia Bowl in December they then fire there offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery even though the UB Bulls won a bowl game. Because Shane Montgomery’s offense wasn’t good enough.

See the difference Buffalo Bills fans the Buffalo Bulls actually won a college bowl game and fired there offense coordinator. Now you see why Buffalo Bills fans like myself have become just not caring what PSE Terry Pegula does with the Buffalo Bills or the Buffalo Sabres because he is a horrible owner a bum. The Buffalo Bills are a very expensive embarrassment for Western New York. Sean McDermott should be fired but won’t be because the Bills and many in the Bills fan base Bills Mafia accept mediocrity and forever failure just happy to tailgate the team could be 0-17 and there enjoying the losing making a hundred excuses.

Whatever nothing is changing but the year with the Buffalo Bills there a losing franchise just like the Buffalo Sabres a losing franchise with a ton of excuses for failure while PSE picks Western New Yorkers pockets. I don’t believe in Terry Pegula or PSE ownership of Buffalo sports teams really ever winning anything because Terry Pegula is a bum just out for profits. It will be a great day for BSF when PSE sells there Buffalo sports teams because Terry Pegula isn’t winning anything clueless and incoherent according to reports in the media. Sell both the Buffalo sports teams Terry Pegula we would be better off with new separate owners for both Buffalo teams the Bills and Sabres in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.