Will Josh be Elway or Marino?

oldmanfan

13 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

Josh Allen will have to go up against Patrick Mahomes his entire career and it’s pretty clear he is not better than him. Mahomes has established himself as an all-time great in 5 years of starting. I think Allen might get lost in his shadow similar to how Rivers was behind Manning and Brady. 

Allen has beaten Mahomes straight up two out of their last three meetings. He goes toe to toe with the Chiefs and Mahomes just fine. It's Burrow and the Bengals who are whooping both Allen and Mahomes butt all over the field currently. That is the team to worry about.

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

But he doesnt.  So in totality, which is what people remember, Mahomes is better than Allen.   I still think Josh is the 2nd best QB in the league, but he isnt as good as Mahomes, sorry.

Burrow is the best right now. Mahomes and Allen are a wash I think, real close between those two but Burrow is playing at another level currently. 

There are a lot of parallels to the early 2000's and forward to todays teams.

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Ben Roethlisberger

Phillip Rivers

Steve McNair

Figuring out who fits above from today QBs is tough though. 

Josh Allen 

Pat Mahomes

Justin Herbert

Joe Burrow

Trevor Lawrence

I see JA17 on the Big Ben side of it when all is said and done. I'd be very content with 2 SB wins in Buffalo. 

Edited by Real McNasty

If Josh or the OC don't learn situational football - the necessity of moving chains when it's imperative to hold onto the ball - he will never climb the Lombardi mountain. At key times this year they threw long passes on third and short. Okay when the game is young, but not okay when our D is giving up 8-10 yards a play with the season on the line. You cannot go 3 and out. Sometimes you just need to move the chains and keep the damn ball. Dorsey and Josh are gunslingers and that is who they are. But you got to also be patient at times and matriculate down the field. Dorsey is allergic to the short passing game. Burrow killed us with it. 

1 hour ago, buffalobillswin said:

Josh Allen will have to go up against Patrick Mahomes his entire career and it’s pretty clear he is not better than him. Mahomes has established himself as an all-time great in 5 years of starting. I think Allen might get lost in his shadow similar to how Rivers was behind Manning and Brady. 

Sorry, I don't see that at all. Sure, I'm a die hard homer. But the amount of guts, talent and "want-it" that Josh has at his disposal can still vault him to all time greatest ever. He deserves better coaching and a line that can count to 2 Mississippi before giving the 'ol "lookout!" block. Mahomes has benefitted his entire career from the best security blanket TEs in NFL history, one of if not the best schematic offensive coaching minds in football, and a FO that has drafted pretty darn well around him to boot. I would argue Mahomes has never been tested the way Allen has already. Give Josh time, decent weapons and a playcaller who knows about scheming guys open (all before Beas and Brown aged out), and we've seen how he can otherworldly shred you. Here's looking at you, Belichick!     

Even the great Pat Mahomes looked not so great behind an inferior OL. The Chiefs wised up, signed Joe Thuney, then got Creed Humphrey (2) and Trey Smith (6) in the same draft. They hit on all those positions. Overnight their line was revitalized and Mahomes was back to doing Mahomes things. We need to fortify this OL going into next year, no more excuses, no more allocation of resources elsewhere. All 5 positions should be up for competition. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.