Will Josh be Elway or Marino?

oldmanfan

We all love Josh, or at least we should.  He put this team on his shoulders all year long, in a year when the team faced more adversity from outside than any team I can remember.  I firmly believe Josh will one day be standing on the podium with the Lombardi trophy.

But whether he does or not depends whether the team helps him become Elway, or whether the team “helps” him be Marino.  Elway was like Josh, a freakishly talented QB that never won until the brain trust in Denver realized he needed help, and got it for him.  They built an O line, they got him a running game with Davis, and Elway wins his Super Bowls.  Contrast that with Marino, where Shula never built that complementary ground game, expecting Marino to do it on his own.  Marino was also freakishly talented, but never got over the hump.

Many say the most important thing for a GM to do is find a QB.  Beane has done that.  We have our guy.  But history tells us you have to have more than that to win it all.  It is on Beane now to get Josh what he needs to get over the hump.  Beane will determine if Josh becomes the second Elway.  Or the second Marino.

• Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

That’s funny. A couple years ago I predicted that Allen would have an Elway career. Years of him gaining experience while we see years like this followed by new coaches and pieces around him before winning it all a couple times - all with the same team, of course. 

Josh Allen is good.  I don't want to hear anything beyond that until he at least wins the conference.  Not many "elite" QB's go 6 six years in without at least winning the conference.

We can make all the excuses we want but an elite big money QB needs to elevate those around him.  How are our current weapons and offensive line any different than last years playoffs when Josh was other worldly?

I'm done giving a rat's ass about hurdles or backyard circus plays.  Learn how to run an efficient on-schedule offense like the one that just ran us out of our own barn with 3 backup lineman and a hobbled center.  This far into a career I have my doubts much will change. 

I think we're the Yankees.  Racking up "exciting" regular season wins with the long ball.  But when things get tight in the postseason the high-variance approach isn't suited to make a run. 

55 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I worry about a Rivers trajectory.

Rivers was very very good, borderline HOF. Never got to the dance.

Allen has more talent in his pinky toe than Phillip Rivers has in his entire family tree. Allen is a sure fire Hall of Famer.

I hope people and media especially stop giving the process a pass! The process is broken and was unveiled as a fraud. Guys like Allen/Elway/Marino are plenty good enough to win with. Their organizations failed them for years.

If they continue to focus on the QB needs to be better as a narrative we'll be struck. The QB is plenty good enough if supported a little.

As Simms/Cosell have said this team very average talentwise on offense.

Others like Joe B in the media proclaimed Joe Burrow elevated his team and JA17 didn't. If the Bills follow this narrative they'll keep drafting DL who are backups while guys like DK Metcalf are on the board.

Please! Please!Please! hold the process accountable, it was exposed yesterday as the fraud it is. They got the QB right and they've been riding his cottails.

2 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

Josh Allen will have to go up against Patrick Mahomes his entire career and it’s pretty clear he is not better than him. 

Sure, but Mahomes isn't any better than Allen.  These guys have different play styles, but they're interchangeable in terms of talent.  Mahomes has a better supporting cast and better coaching.  If we had Mahomes and KC had Allen, they would be prepping for the AFC championship and we would be lamenting our loss to the Bengals.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Sure, but Mahomes isn't any better than Allen.  These guys have different play styles, but they're interchangeable in terms of talent.  Mahomes has a better supporting cast and better coaching.  If we had Mahomes and KC had Allen, they would be prepping for the AFC championship and we would be lamenting our loss to the Bengals.

But he doesnt.  So in totality, which is what people remember, Mahomes is better than Allen.   I still think Josh is the 2nd best QB in the league, but he isnt as good as Mahomes, sorry.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I hate this way of thinking. Yes if Marino played on the 49ers he would probably have 4 rings and if Manning was on the Patriots he would have 5 rings. But they weren’t and they don’t. Currently Patrick Mahomes is a better QB than Josh Allen. This isn’t a criticism of Allen. Mahomes is going to finish as the best QB of all-time. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.