A day later, I'm still in the camp of cleaning house.

Pine Barrens Mafia

I do think Beane moreso than McD should be the one seeing himself out the door.  It's pretty close though. These 2, for some reason that can't be explained, just do not want to help Josh out or worse, have no clue how to. There only solution seems to be finding RBs who they say they want to use as pass catchers and then proceed not to because the OC either is incapable or the player isn't good enough.

I don't even think getting rid of Frasier will change anything. This is McD's defense just so we are clear. 

• Agree 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Makes me think of Kadarius Toney.  

“He won’t fit the culture.”  “Can’t have a guy like that here”

You know who does want him?  The Chiefs.  Another in a long line of non-culture fits playing for teams we can’t beat when it matters. 

If a Chiefs or Bengals player gets arrested, the team would bribe a judge and pay the legal fees. Look which teams are playing next Sunday.

1 minute ago, BillyBilliams said:

If you think changing the O and D coordinator will fix things, you’re delusional.  McD is a defensive guy.  If you don’t think he doesn’t sign off on the defensive schemes and the game plans, then I don’t know what to tell you.  He could very easily tell his coordinator to NOT throw a ***** 3rd and 2 deep shot knowing they’re punting if they don’t get it.  

Once again in the playoffs when the D is struggling and the O needs a spark, he PUNTED at the Bengals 41.  If you can’t trust Allen to get 10 yards in one play, then something is seriously wrong.

People here will be pissed at the takes, but I don’t care.  We’ll peddle with this crap for 2 more seasons, wasting away Diggs and Allen’s career, while the cap space gets tighter and tighter.

So basically you are in the camp that an entire coaching staff change is needed. I can't say it won't work or isn't needed - my point was whether the schemes are the problem or is it the quality of the players

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Besides Diggs, Josh and Milano I can’t think of any. I want guys that will punch you in the face for looking at them. The Bengals have a bunch of those guys (Mixon, Apple, Hilton, Hendrickson) and we have none. You don’t have to like the guys on the team. I have never seen a Mixon jersey here, but they sure as heck are happy to have him today.

I've said it forever: moral character on the football field is overrated.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The great Dan Marino went to the Super Bowl only once in his illustrious career,and that was in his second year as a pro.One shot and they lost.I'm afraid that the coaching situation as it stands right now will never get there.The team is regressing under the current leadership,discipline is lacking as well as game preparation.What I witnessed yesterday was atrocious,no excuse accepted!Teams in our division are getting alot better making more difficult to win the division.The Bengals had 3rd and 10,and our coach called timeout!That was the last straw for me.Bring in Sean Payton!

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Not just coaching, which is relatively easy to change. That group of guys lacks the violent edge to actually win in this sport. I don’t know how you change that.

This, times a million. When I watched the other playoff games, it was like night & day, seeing how all those other teams (especially the defensive units) were flying around, operating in absolute frenzy mode.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

4) defensive malpractice: for guys who claim expertise in defense, this team's defense sucks, on ice. It's a worse version of the colts finesse defense under Dungy. It plays zone 90% of the time but can't stop a third and long if their lives depended on it. I'm over the soft zone. Time to go. 

I agree with everything else but give at least some credit to Dungy his defense made more sense than what we run.  When you have Freeney and Mathis on the edge (and not in some dumb rotation) eventually they’ll make a play.  Rousseau and Epenesa are not Freeney and Mathis.

I was blown away by how many times I saw our DE’s dropping back into coverage yesterday.  You had a backup o-line.  We shouldn’t have needed fancy looks.  Colts weren’t dropping Freeney into coverage on 3rd so that Gary Bracket could try his hand at pass rushing.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Not just overrated. It’s a detriment. This is a violent game and violence wins. 

And that stay the course mentality mesaage he preachs on this team has worn thin imo. To do the same things over and over and watch a team especially yesterday just have there way with us has to put doubts in players heads on if what he is selling they should still buy. And if the team can't buy into that message why should we fans? 

Edited by BillzFreak

I haven’t seen it mentioned (granted I can’t keep up with all the posts) but people seem to be forgetting that  “Teddy Bear Terry” is solely at the helm for the time being.  He’s as soft as vanilla pudding, clams up if a camera/mic is on him, and the only emotion I’ve seen him display is tears.  Kim was the task master/alpha of the two.  Given that, I have zero faith that Terry is going to fire anyone, demand new coordinators, or even demand accountability.  

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

So basically you are in the camp that an entire coaching staff change is needed. I can't say it won't work or isn't needed - my point was whether the schemes are the problem or is it the quality of the players

well, they’re drafting undersized DL.  They’re drafting CB’s that are only zone players.  You can teach someone playing man to play zone, but not really the other way around.  It’s a physical scheme.  Doing this rotational bull#### in the playoffs is disgusting.  Elam missed FOUR drives because of this bull####.  Let the best players play!  That is a coaching issue.  Beane made up a good team, but he CANNOT miss on draft picks anymore.  He simply cannot.  We haven’t had a solid draft since 2018.  

50 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Here's why: 

1) draft malfeasance: starting with the atrocious decision to to draft an undersized DT in the top 10 (a guy who's been rotational and not game changing in any way instead of a top offensive talent on the line or receiver) and ending with drafting a CB who isn't a scheme fit and therefore really didn't contribute all that much, Brandon Beane has failed in the draft post 2018. That failure was a DIRECT contributor to the divisional round ceiling this team now has. 

2) misplaced loyalty: McDermott is loyal. I get it. He doesn't want to throw his guys under the bus. Star L, Trent Murphy, Leslie Frazier, I could go on, but why? The man can't recognize cancer and lets it fester.

3) complete lack of situational awareness: this coaching staff is incapable of seeing the forest for the trees and is all too willing to continue doing what isn't working on and off the field in the name of continuity.

4) defensive malpractice: for guys who claim expertise in defense, this team's defense sucks, on ice. It's a worse version of the colts finesse defense under Dungy. It plays zone 90% of the time but can't stop a third and long if their lives depended on it. I'm over the soft zone. Time to go. 

5) it's just time. Sometimes a guy comes in, cleans house, gets things working. A guy may succeed in that job, but find himself incapable of taking the next step. That's Sean McDermott. He's a great culture builder and I mean great. But he's hit his ceiling..bring someone in who can get the job done. 

It’s really McD’s stubborness that is causing these issues. I think you can find a great culture coach and coach open to strategic adaption. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't fire anyone. But I do think this regime goes on the hotseat from here on in. 

They need a good draft and they need the things that have been perennial issues - offensive line and lack of ability to pressure the passer in big spots - to be better next season. 

I might be in clean house territory next year if they can't get those things done. I agree this group has totally revitalised a moribund Bills franchise. But there is a legit question about whether they are the folks to get us over the hump. 

It isn't even about record next season, or how far they go in the playoffs for me. It is about can the two things that for the three competing years (2020, 2021 and 2022) have hamstrung us actually look different. If they can't and the team falls short again then I think they need to be willing to consider different leadership. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.