2023 Bills

hondo in seattle

Might need to take a step back in 2023 before going forward. Get rid of overpaid players, take the dead cap hit and retool the following year. Bills will still be in position to win the division in 2023 with Josh alone. But definitely give him some Oline and receiver help through the draft. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Success will continue if:

1.  Allen is still Allen - not near ceiling btw because - 

2.  Adjustment year with Dorsey - we all knew this would be an issue.  Today it was but he gets a B on his first year from me.  
3.  We use Knox like we pay him big money. 
4.  Gabe Davis breakout year

5.  Shakir becomes a solid slot WR

6.  Cook becomes worth passing on Walker or Hall.  He becomes our best RB since Shady. 
7.  Oline improves because we make changes 

8.  Miller Hyde Hamlin White all 100% and play the whole season.

9.  The 2023 draft is a success 

10.  Elam and Benford make huge leaps and we have a true no fly zone secondary 

As for Edmonds and Poyer.  I don’t know.  

So you’re saying 2023 will be a down year. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

KC doesn't rely on the deep ball very much either tho...Mahomes has a ton of short stuff, taking what they give you.

My biggest issue is the defense doesn't stop anyone in the playoffs when they lose.  They are a good to great regular season defense that gets bludgeoned in the playoffs against good offenses. 38, 42 and 27(going on 50) in their last 3 playoff losses.  That simply isn't good enough. Look at the SB Bills teams defense in the playoffs in big games. They performed far better than their rankings during the year(at least in the AFCCG).  

In the 4 AFC Championship games they played, the defense allowed 3, 7, 10 and 13 points.  They didn't need the offense to do much to win those games, they held it down. Bills allowed more points to KC in their lone AFC Championship game(38) than that era's teams allowed in all 4 combined(33 points)!  It's unacceptable and if McD REALLY wants to take a look in the mirror, he can't keep trotting Frazier out there on D in the playoffs. He needs to trade some regular season success for playoff success.

Good point, and I realized that as I was typing, but didn't want to get into the weeds. I should have said KC with Tyreek Hill. KC has done a good job adjusting their passing attack to the players they have.

Despite lack of outside threats and an inconsistent Gabe Davis, we went to a deep passing attack and ignored short passing

not even sure what the contract ramifications are on any of these but id look into moving from von and potentially Tre. Tre just seems different after the injury. and I have no idea what to expect from an aging von after another season ending surgery. play the young guys at cb and try to utilize dollars elsewhere.

9 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

The Chiefs philosophy. 

it goes back to who is running the show. Andy Reid is offense. McD is defense. nobody will change their mindset. Unfortunately we have the wrong mindset leading our team.

1 minute ago, zevo said:

not even sure what the contract ramifications are on any of these but id look into moving from von and potentially Tre. Tre just seems different after the injury. and I have no idea what to expect from an aging von after another season ending surgery. play the young guys at cb and try to utilize dollars elsewhere.

Both of those cap hits would be more if they were cut

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I’d hope for less hype in the offseason.  It seemed the team burnt out at this point.  I think do to too much adrenaline early on.  For example

The Von Miller hype video

Josh celebrity golf tournament 

The pics on social media with Jim Kelly pretty much anointing him.   Fitz as well loving him 

Granted I don’t really follow the Bengals that closely but Joe Burrow seems to more quietly do his thing….   and he outplayed Allen 

Joe Burrow has a weekly spot on Cowherd's podcast and is on Collinsworth's podcast all the time.  The man also wears actual fur coats. So no, he is not quietly doing his thing. He has a swagger that has infected the whole city and they are going to win multiple Super Bowls because of it.  

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

And some deal with them better than others.   

Beane's doing okay - we're getting to the playoffs.  I'm wondering how he can do better and build a SB quality roster.  We don't have one right now.  

true...there has been effort to build-out both lines with quality as we have burned a lot of draft and FA capital...but more misses than hits:

OL misses - 2nd round - Ford....3rd Brown - not a bust but clearly inconsistent, esp for a guy a very high RAS score, lacks footspeed to counter speed rush

5th round Teller - a true talent they passed on...annual veteran guard FA addition have produced below average...late round picks-projects maybe depth at

best...coach Kromer ?  year one not much improvement so that speaks to talent and or play-calling or being out-coached - not going anywhere as 3

coaches in 3 years is not McD style

DL - hits - D Jones, Rosseau and Oliver and Von (overpay but worth it) - misses - AJE, Boogie, Addison - call them average at best ? Star was a big FA miss overall depite some flahses as well as Butler and Q Jefferson...Settle is nothing more than a backup-depth (FA overpay) 

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

And some deal with them better than others.   

Beane's doing okay - we're getting to the playoffs.  I'm wondering how he can do better and build a SB quality roster.  We don't have one right now.  

Start with drafting good offensive line men and stop putting sooooo many resources into a Def that crumbles in big games....

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Go balls to the wall on offense. Specifically oline and wr. Don't care about d anymore. 

totally agree, but won't happen with McD and Bean, unfortunately.  

2 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Might need to take a step back in 2023 before going forward. Get rid of overpaid players, take the dead cap hit and retool the following year. Bills will still be in position to win the division in 2023 with Josh alone. But definitely give him some Oline and receiver help through the draft. 

trade some players, then no dead cap, right?  

18 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

totally agree, but won't happen with McD and Bean, unfortunately.  

trade some players, then no dead cap, right?  

Have to take the dead cap hit next season, but would clear more cap space the following year. I haven't looked into who's contracts carry the least dead cap after the 23/24 season. 

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I mean that's not entirely accurate. They finished 2nd in the NFL in points allowed.

The problem is against good offenses, they don't look like that team. 

I suppose playing NE & the NYJets twice skew the points allowed numbers. 

Sometimes matchups aren't kind. I think if the Chargers hung on last week, the Bills win a high scoring game this past weekend. Instead, you get the BenGals who have to play 6 games in the rugged AFC North. 

Yeah, the D got pushed around yesterday but I still can't believe the Bills only scored 10 points...that's way below their average.

First off, no more "Super Bowl or Bust" talk.

This franchise is FAR from anything resembling Super Bowl contenders. All that talk was embarrassing when the season started. Y'all need to cool it. Jinxed everything. "Prove It" should be the new motto.

Improve the O-line.

Cincinnati Bengals word up: Enjoy the time now. Burrow should have never stated that his entire career is a window. If Bengals don't bother making massive upgrades at protecting him, Joe Burrow's entire career is a small window. Yeah yeah, keep bragging about taking those sacks. They ALL ADD up. Ask Andrew Luck and Tua Tagovailoa. Two words: Early retirement. We can't have that for Josh Allen. We also need 2 power running backs.

Improve the Defense.

Can't go far in the playoffs without quality defense. Almost impossible. All the Super Bowl winners have good defense. Did you see the 49ers vs. Cowboys? It was a low scoring game. Because both teams have good defense. You think the 49ers would have survived with bad defense? How about Jalen Hurts' Eagles? Players on the defensive side get injured a lot quicker. We needed quality depth.

Mimic the San Francisco 49ers.

They have great defense AND great offense. They are now at the NFC Title game with an unproven last pick in the draft QB Brock Purdy. Imagine us having that, but with Josh Allen. Oh my. We got a dynasty. I can only get so hard.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/22/2023 at 10:04 PM, Dr.Sack said:

Moneyball time. 

Do we think there will be any surprise retirements Hyde, Miller, Tre, etc?

I hope not - not those guys.  We need more talent, not less.  Any of those guys would be a big loss.

I am a bit worried about Tre, though.  I think his knee is going to be find but that's not a proven fact at this point.  He didn't play much this year and when he did, he wasn't the lock-down goalie of the past.  

14 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

First off, no more "Super Bowl or Bust" talk.

This franchise is FAR from anything resembling Super Bowl contenders. All that talk was embarrassing when the season started. Y'all need to cool it. Jinxed everything. "Prove It" should be the new motto.

Improve the O-line.

Cincinnati Bengals word up: Enjoy the time now. Burrow should have never stated that his entire career is a window. If Bengals don't bother making massive upgrades at protecting him, Joe Burrow's entire career is a small window. Yeah yeah, keep bragging about taking those sacks. They ALL ADD up. Ask Andrew Luck and Tua Tagovailoa. Two words: Early retirement. We can't have that for Josh Allen. We also need 2 power running backs.

Improve the Defense.

Can't go far in the playoffs without quality defense. Almost impossible. All the Super Bowl winners have good defense. Did you see the 49ers vs. Cowboys? It was a low scoring game. Because both teams have good defense. You think the 49ers would have survived with bad defense? How about Jalen Hurts' Eagles? Players on the defensive side get injured a lot quicker. We needed quality depth.

Mimic the San Francisco 49ers.

They have great defense AND great offense. They are now at the NFC Title game with an unproven last pick in the draft QB Brock Purdy. Imagine us having that, but with Josh Allen. Oh my. We got a dynasty. I can only get so hard.

Mimic the 49ers is easier said than done.  But, yep, I wish our overall roster was that strong except that we had Josh under center instead of their trio.  That's a fantasy to drool over.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.