I said this Last Year McDermott lacks the killer instinct.

Rebel101

17 hours ago, billieve420 said:

I am slowing coming to the same conclusion on whether McDermott will ever be able to get team over the hump. I am hoping we get lucky and win at least 1 Super Bowl in my lifetime. However, I don't see dynasty coming from this coaching staff.

Dynasty is not coming from this organization just based on the all of the draft picks we have missed on while other teams like KC and Cinci have excelled. We have dug ourselves a hole in tying up massive amount of cap space on a select number of players with limited opps in FA for the coming year. We have to nail the draft this year and hopefully find some value players in FA that can outperform.

I am also concerned about Beane's excuse of a press conference - is that really going to be the position of the front office - that we weren't bad enough to get someone like Chase, while discounting all of of the bad draft decisions he has made. Just like the 13 seconds last year - where is the accountability? 

• Agree 2

It's tough to disagree with the title assertion. In the Miami playoff game, he looked like he was ready to somewhere between cry and blow chunks on the sideline.

I think he did an outstanding job making some hard decisions early on to harvest draft capital for key players, invest in quality mid-level veteran leaders, and together with Beane set up the team to be able to acquire a ton of quality in those early seasons. 

There have been points where the in-game decision making has improved. I find that correlating strongly to offensive proficiency, especially on 4th down. Recency bias, in effect. But since Daboll left, it seems like McDermott (and maybe the offense in general) has lost confidence in either the playcalling, the scheme, or both.

But McDermott is loyal, and I think a lot of his decisions are based on that. His philosophy, humble & hungry, is also "we win as family" from what I can tell. So if a player acts like it was a catch, he's gonna challenge unless he's absolutely sure it's not. I don't think he wants to fire his close confidants. And most of all, I think he wants to send messages to his defense that he believes in them.

I made this statement in the Sean Payton thread, but go get Jim Harbaugh. Pay whatever and get it done. He could build a team to win in Buffalo with Josh at the helm and I can guarantee you, that team would not be soft. 

Edit: total whiff on my part as I confused the Jim and John of the Harbaugh family...I've fixed it. 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I love when posters try to support a point they're making by describing how they've made the same point elsewhere.

"I was just saying to my brother the other day ..."

Hey that's great. I guess if you said it last year it must be etched in stone by now.

Lol no it’s just a reminder to all who crucified me for saying it before last season, who now are saying the same thing. Maybe you were one of them and now upset you are among us. 

32 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I made this statement in the Sean Payton thread, but go get Jim Harbaugh. Pay whatever and get it done. He could build a team to win in Buffalo with Josh at the helm and I can guarantee you, that team would not be soft. 

Edit: total whiff on my part as I confused the Jim and John of the Harbaugh family...I've fixed it. 

Didn't he already announce that he was staying Michigan. Wishful thinking on my part but I wish Bill was available. Won 6 Super Bowls with Brady so I have no doubt he would win with Josh. 

2 hours ago, vanhalen26 said:

I think he’s a very good head coach / motivator and team manager and very well prepared for gameday,  but he’s not great functionally and needs stronger support at DC and OC.  

I agree with all of it beside the HC. The mistakes made on gameday come down to his decision. Each & everyone of them. So while stronger OC n DC are needed, a soft HC kind of makes all that ***** not matter. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm also confused on the killer instinct part.  

He has no balls bro. He gets scared, he allows teams to stay in the game or come back by applying softer and safer methods. When we are up at 30 at half and we are fighting at the end. Something inside his body turns into a little girl during the playoffs. He doesn’t have the heart inside of his body to beat a team into submission. All his inner strength comes from his faith. I don’t know about you but God doesn’t answer my prayers. He has repeatedly shown he doesn’t have what it takes to bully a team nor finish a season. 

I disagree. 

McDermott is very aggressive.. on offense that is. 

Oddly, it's defense where he seems to back off and let the game come to him. That said, he doesn't call the plays. 

I would like to see McDermott take more ownership of the D and call the plays, and I think we would see more aggression there. 

4 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

I agree with all of it beside the HC. The mistakes made on gameday come down to his decision. Each & everyone of them. So while stronger OC n DC are needed, a soft HC kind of makes all that ***** not matter. 

He has no balls bro. He gets scared, he allows teams to stay in the game or come back by applying softer and safer methods. When we are up at 30 at half and we are fighting at the end. Something inside his body turns into a little girl during the playoffs. He doesn’t have the heart inside of his body to beat a team into submission. All his inner strength comes from his faith. I don’t know about you but God doesn’t answer my prayers. He has repeatedly shown he doesn’t have what it takes to bully a team nor finish a season. 

It’s like when you fight someone maybe something inside you tells you that’s enough while something inside of me wants to see how much blood I can make come out of their body. 

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

I disagree. 

McDermott is very aggressive.. on offense that is. 

Oddly, it's defense where he seems to back off and let the game come to him. That said, he doesn't call the plays. 

I would like to see McDermott take more ownership of the D and call the plays, and I think we would see more aggression there. 

Nothing about McDermott is aggressive. Running every 2nd down then throwing 30 yards downfield on 3rd n short is not aggressive & it’s horrible play calling. I understand once and awhile someone pops open but a 30 yard post route shouldn’t be the hot read every 3rd n short. Especially when you punt inside the opponents 40 in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

Forget the killer instincts, he’s a defensive coach that hasn’t installed a defensive strategy that features physicality, pressure on the QB or game planning against top teams. His decision to play Poyer in the playoffs and not double the receiver that White covered was costly. Poyer was clearly struggling since his injury and didn’t practice for both playoffs. He couldn’t cover or tackle. The short answer is he was better than the alternative, but that’s on the HC. I like Sean,  and he brings leadership skills that are important,but with Josh being exposed as our entire offense, an offensive minded HC would suit us better with an aggressive DC improving that side of the ball.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, damj said:

Keep Dorsey and McDermott.

Dump Frazier.

Add a young innovative DC for McDermott to work with and Greg Roman as run game coordinator.

And replace Washington as D-Line coach

Agree with all. Not a big fan of Roman ,but I suppose he could provide some balance.

On 1/22/2023 at 7:25 PM, Rebel101 said:

McDermott has done a lot for Buffalo. him dorsey and Frazier need to go. Team has been sloppy and lacked motivation since the bye

McDermott has the same thing to some degree as Doug Marrone did. 

He's seen it all, done it all, been in every situation, always gives a generic answer. I find him dismissive of real football questions. 

But then you see Sean out there in 2022 playing Pat Mahomes with a prevent defense like its 1983. 

Then we get to the Divisional in 2023 and it's Cincinnati, again it's soft zone, not challenging WRs. 

Today, you can get the All-22, there are ex-NFL QBs who break this film down now and explain scheme. So these generic answers by McDermott and Frazier don't hold weight. 

Do the Bills feel cutting edge? 

2 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

In your mind, the divisional round against the Pats last year was a close game or something?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.