I said this Last Year McDermott lacks the killer instinct.

Rebel101

McDermott is safe for one more season anyway,, but he should up his game on those post game lockerroom speeches.  They are getting pretty stale.

This year the expectations were the highest of anyone, and they grossly underperformed at the end.

Next season the expectations will be moderate. And he better overperform big time.

• Agree 1

i get that there is no shot mcd is gone this season, next to no shot dorsey is, and im not sure but like 50/50 or so that fraser gets re upped.

that's the reality for the bills, but it's also completely true as pointed out above that many if not most winning pedigree teams would absolutely bounce coaches out the door for what's happened.

miami (not that they are such winners) barely lost to us in our house right before we quit vs cinci, they fire the DC.  baltimore gave cinci hell while we laid down, and even tho they did it w a back up qb (could you imagine the bills w josh injured?  talk about no shot) and lost on a fluke play, and they fired the OC, a year after the DC got the door.

philly is in the bowl and ditched the HC that won them a chip before (maybe that wasn't the greatest move, but clearly they will not accept bad results for too long).

i agree w the OP, if mcd isn't ready to not re sign fraser after the past two exits, he just wants to go along to get along and isn't the ruthless alpha who brings home lombardis.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I just think sometimes and wonder how many teams would not have fired their DC by now in this situation. Probably lot of them would have after the 13 secs

Sean McDermott’s basically coaching himself out of a job.  We’re just breaking out the pop corn and watching his pressers.  Like I said during the secondary coach who shined with a physical scheme when lacking White and others.  Pretty much is where it’s going for now.  Removing anyone outside of his lunch box and anti-physical pro-process guys.  Fans wanted Frazier fired and McDermott decided that the best thing to do would be to fire the guy whose secondary was hamstrung by injuries when his defensive line and backers had no drive to get Burrpw buried in the backfield.  Edmunds lacks creativity, Ed Oliver over all is busting at the worst possible times, and we’ve hit the peak of this Coaching staff.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I just think sometimes and wonder how many teams would not have fired their DC by now in this situation. Probably lot of them would have after the 13 secs

A postulation made more feasible given the debacle.

Loyalty is a confusing thing. Frazier leaving of his own accord looks to be the course. Think(hope) he’s gone next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It is only a matter of time before more Buffalo Bills fans realize Sean McDermott isn’t the answer. Sean McDermott is slowly starting to lose the Bills locker room with Stefon Diggs being the first and he won’t be the last. It is time for Sean McDermott to be fired it will happen after next season when there is no playoffs in 2023 potentially in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Trock said:

We were three snaps from being undefeated. Our season was derailed by an injury and the league screwed us out of 1 seed. We are very good and only minor tweaks are needed. I’m ok with finding another DC, but not required. Trust the process. 

Dude, the process sucks in the playoffs.  But if you're satisfied with a Schottenheimer type HC, knock yourself out.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

You need to define "the killer instinct" for this thread to have any semblance of meaning. 

I was going to suggest the same thing.

Talking about "killer instinct" is sports fan gibberish.  But if the OP is trying to say that McDermott becomes VERY conservative in the playoffs, he's absolutely right.

McDermott has slowly developed from a stupid, very conservative game coach, to one that is smarter, more informed, and much, much more risk taking. He's really improved in that manner and is much better using the clock at the end of halves, 4th down decisions have been much better, etc.  He's still god awful with challenges, however.  

But he reverts back to his old self come playoff time.  Super conservative and utterly risk averse.  I don't think that is the right attitude for winning in the playoffs.

He's like 2 different coaches in that regard.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 hours ago, zow2 said:

McDermott is safe for one more season anyway,, but he should up his game on those post game lockerroom speeches.  They are getting pretty stale.

This year the expectations were the highest of anyone, and they grossly underperformed at the end.

Next season the expectations will be moderate. And he better overperform big time.

You think they may be different when the cameras aren't there? 

Yeah I agree. I like McDermott he seems like a great respectful guy, good coach but after watching him here over 5 years I also believe he lacks the killer instinct. Generally He is a passive guy and lacks emotion in a game of emotions and momentum. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/22/2023 at 4:25 PM, Rebel101 said:

McDermott has done a lot for Buffalo. him dorsey and Frazier need to go. Team has been sloppy and lacked motivation since the bye

Dorsey is learning on the job. Not ideal for a team trying to make a legit Super Bowl run. His lack of experience really showed in the playoffs. Almost cost the Bills the Miami game and clearly contributed to the Bills loss to Cinci.

Fraizer's scheme is not effective vs playoff quality offenses. Not ideal for a team trying to make a legit Super Bowl run. Certainly his scheme was terrible vs Cinci. The defense badly needs a change. 

Coach McD has one last chance to get this team over the hump. He deserves the chance but I think we all know the upcoming result. He choked away 13 seconds. His team laid an egg at home vs Cinci. He's made 6 playoff appearances with little success. Great team builder and character guy. Appreciate the man and his success. However, the Bills organization needs a change. An offensive minded coach that can run a dynamic offense. 

Why waste another year?More false hope. The time to make the moves are now. The status quo isn't going to get it done. Ground hog day...

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Do you have replacements in mind?

Don't just hit & run.

Honestly I don’t. I assume we wont have a new HC until next year, so the options I haven’t really taken a look at. I would say let’s see how Deon Sanders handles Colorado. Also you know the fact Byron Leftwich finished his last bowl game with a broken leg hobbling up and down. He can get a good interview as well Lol. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Mike Kafka from the chiefs also. 

16 hours ago, Trock said:

We had a tough road because of Hamlins injury. We should’ve had the bye, played the Jags, thenChiefs or Bengals, then in.  

We were screwed royally. Pretty Billsy bad luck. 

Sorry cincinatti is a quality opponent 

McDermott doesn’t do well against actual opponents 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Trock said:

We were three snaps from being undefeated. Our season was derailed by an injury and the league screwed us out of 1 seed. We are very good and only minor tweaks are needed. I’m ok with finding another DC, but not required. Trust the process. 

Our OL sucks. Our DL without Von also blows. KC and CIN are ahead of us. Teams in our division are getting better. If the Jets get a QB they could finish ahead of us. Frazier blows. Whenever our defense goes up against a good offense, we **** the bed. It's not all bad as we have some good players obviously, but they definitely need to upgrade the roster (OL, DL. WR) if they want to win a championship.

On 1/23/2023 at 2:25 AM, Rebel101 said:

McDermott has done a lot for Buffalo. him dorsey and Frazier need to go. Team has been sloppy and lacked motivation since the bye

Not only lacks killer instincts he also lacks an eye for talent & scheming + adjustments when we need it most. His Philosophies are obviously flawed also. Seems like him and his staff have reached there ceilings and things won’t get better until there gone. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.