This one hurts.....

3 hours ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

I've been a Bills fan since the OJ years, growing up in the Town of Tonawanda. The Bills have been and will always, be my team. I moved to Houston 22 years ago, but still passionately root for my team. I have suffered during the dark years, post the Music City BS. I hated the Rex Ryan hire, which wasted more precious years away. Josh was my pick for the draft that year; no one looked better to represent the Bills than Josh. He's proven to be exactly what we need. I've been so happy watching my team the past few years. 

However, this game today just took all the wind out of my sails. I just don't know how much more miserable such an important, home playoff game could have been. This one hurts more than the Kansas City loss last year. It also tops the Texans defeat in overtime. The key difference being that in both those games, we were competitive and could easily have won. This game was over in the 1st quarter. It's like they didn't plan for the Bengals at all. 

It will be a long time before I can even read anything about the Bills again. It just hurts.....

Making it to the final 8 is no small feat, it's difficult to win games in the NFL and even harder to win playoff games. 

3 hours ago, NUT said:

It was not fun, it was frustrating.

The season was fun.

That game today was the most frustrating ever though. It really was. Unless something big happens like a great FA signing, a surprise star coming out of the draft, some OC/DC change for the better, it feels like this team is among the 6-10 best in the league, not the Top 5 as we thought they were.

Still, besides the DLine playing crap, the COACHES let the team down today. While those of the Bengals ran a clinic. It wasn't Chase's speed or Burrow that beat the Bills. Their coaches did. 

• Agree 1

This loss wasn't that bad. Certainly not in the same realm as last years 13 seconds. Something was not right with this team all year on offense and teams have essentially figured out our defense. 

We need to evolve and ditch the stupid nickle, cover 2, zone defense we always run. It's obvious that good teams can easily figure it out and comfortably move the ball up and down the field on the defense. We aren't stopping the run and there are way too many soft spots for the opposing offense to pass to.

Bengals had no respect for our defense and it showed when they manhandled our dline. This whole idea of running a defense that is specifically designed to not give up the big play is stupid when used vs. Burrow and Mahomes who will just pick you apart. It is irritating watching opposing qbs make comfortable passes the entire game. Zack Wilson only competent outing this season was against the Bills. 

Offensively we are a train wreck. We clearly wanted to introduce more passes to the RB yet never ran screens and Allen sailed alot of floaters over the middle that were missed by Singletary and Cook. 

Knox never got going. 

The oline was healthier than last seasons oline was, yet played worse down the stretch. Our oline last season weren't world beaters but they certainly performed above avg. vs. the Patriots and Chiefs last season in the playoffs. Brown never got better. Hopefully Bates is adequate back at left guard. The oline in general needs a talent boost. 

Gave Davis has a role on this team as a # 3 receiver. He is not a # 2. We need an actual burner across from Diggs. Slot was a mess the entire season and I am more than ok saying bye to Mckenzie for good. 

All in all this team needs a scheme change on offense and a talent infusion. 

On defense they need to play downhill more and learn to play man a lot more.

43 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

The season was fun.

Blowout wins over Rams, Titans, and Steelers were fun.  A big win over KC and a come from behind win over Baltimore was fun.  That was all in the first 6 weeks.  After that was largely frustration.  

losses to jets and Minnesota; close wins over Browns, Lions, jets, Dolphins  were frustrating.  4 weeks ago we were up by 1 score against the bears with under 5:00 left to go in the game.  They were the worst team in the league and we struggled to beat them.    2 weeks ago we were losing to the patriots at halftime.  

We thought we were an elite team, but we couldn’t assert dominance over anyone after week 6.  So I’d say 2/3 of the season was frustrating.  

• Agree 1

I'm really struggling.  I went from thinking we were the best team in the league for much of the season, to feeling like we're miles behind the "real" contenders.   Beyond that, I feel like we're going backwards now.

Was that our window?  Will we look at 13 seconds as the missed chance?

I'm not ready to go that truly dark place yet - but I'm seeing teams that are better coached, and have playmakers everywhere. We said it all year - Josh carries this whole team on his shoulders, every week.   Burrow & Mahomes have better coaching, and better teams.  I'm just not sure how we get past them.

• Shocked 1

Hurts way less for me. We got destroyed and didn't deserve to win. Last year we did. This is an easy loss.

2 minutes ago, Success said:

I'm really struggling.  I went from thinking we were the best team in the league for much of the season, to feeling like we're miles behind the "real" contenders.   Beyond that, I feel like we're going backwards now.

Was that our window?  Will we look at 13 seconds as the missed chance?

I'm not ready to go that truly dark place yet - but I'm seeing teams that are better coached, and have playmakers everywhere. We said it all year - Josh carries this whole team on his shoulders, every week.   Burrow & Mahomes have better coaching, and better teams.  I'm just not sure how we get past them.

Windows are very short. Look at the Rams. In my opinion last year was our perfect storm to win it all. As long as we have Allen our window is open, but we're going to lose a ton of talent this off season and I'm not sure I trust any of our coaches to win the whole thing.

5 hours ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

I've been a Bills fan since the OJ years, growing up in the Town of Tonawanda. The Bills have been and will always, be my team. I moved to Houston 22 years ago, but still passionately root for my team. I have suffered during the dark years, post the Music City BS. I hated the Rex Ryan hire, which wasted more precious years away. Josh was my pick for the draft that year; no one looked better to represent the Bills than Josh. He's proven to be exactly what we need. I've been so happy watching my team the past few years. 

However, this game today just took all the wind out of my sails. I just don't know how much more miserable such an important, home playoff game could have been. This one hurts more than the Kansas City loss last year. It also tops the Texans defeat in overtime. The key difference being that in both those games, we were competitive and could easily have won. This game was over in the 1st quarter. It's like they didn't plan for the Bengals at all. 

It will be a long time before I can even read anything about the Bills again. It just hurts.....

If it didn't hurt we wouldn't all be posting today.  It's going to hurt for awhile as it should.  13-3 was a very good enjoyable regular season. The playoffs this year was a different story.  We played a very good team today and they exposed our weaknesses particularly the OL.  

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

The season was fun.

That game today was the most frustrating ever though. It really was. Unless something big happens like a great FA signing, a surprise star coming out of the draft, some OC/DC change for the better, it feels like this team is among the 6-10 best in the league, not the Top 5 as we thought they were.

Still, besides the DLine playing crap, the COACHES let the team down today. While those of the Bengals ran a clinic. It wasn't Chase's speed or Burrow that beat the Bills. Their coaches did. 

I agree....we're not top 5 anymore. These dumbass coaches will keep us in the 6-10 range and never surround Josh with help.

6 hours ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

I feel with you and for you having followed them since ‘63.   It’s a lot of time invested as a hobby , and having been 14-3 going in , playing at home which was a stated goal , and then coming out so completely flat , getting completely dominated is a lot of disappointment.   Sadly , it’s easy to get to a point where you begin to almost expect this to happen. The Bengals freely talked prior to the game that they weren’t concerned and Burrows said they expected to dominate this team, and you never heard a peep to the contrary from this team.  The 90’s teams weren’t ever so muted , intimidated  or so clamped down and afraid to respond as they are under Sean and they played like they lacked confidence.  

Having followed them for so long , been to SB’s in person following them , and getting older with some health issues , it seems like a long time to get back to another  season and no one is promised a future to keep enjoying the team ( just look what almost happened to Damar).  So it does feel more like an emotionally heavy disappointment this year.
 It is just a hobby , but you do get involved with fellow fans etc and unless you are a sociopath , you do feel invested.  😊.  It just feels like if you can’t advance playing at home after being 14-3 , you wonder under what circumstances they may actually make it over that final obstacle  
This team didn’t seem to have a clear vision offensively; they aren’t developing talent well like other teams seem too ( use of Elam , shakir, the rbs , the d linemen like epenesa & boogies use or lack of snaps seem to have no rhythm or reason ). Younger coaching staffs are bypassing them as you watch teams like the Bengals , Eagles , 49 ers look much further along.The cracks and red flags showed up against the pats and Miami , yet even the team was in denial talking about “ just survive and advance”.  Just surviving has never cut it in reality, and the warning signs were there.   Sean is 4-5 now in the playoffs so that’s not getting it done.     Hopefully , there is next year, it sure feels like a step back, but hey you are not alone! 😊Best wishes! 

i'm going to agree, i was miserable most of the year watching them to be honest.  since about the middle of october, something just felt off.  the hamlin situation sucked, tons of injuries.

13-4 and i was upset at many of those w's.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm from the T of T too! 

The fact that we could have won those games is what made them worse...much worse...than today.

We got our butts handed to us today.  This one hurts, no doubt, but nothing CLOSE to 13 seconds! 

Ya last year I went from losing my **** and celebrating to slowly realizing we just blew a golden opportunity. 

From the first drive on D and O I accepted this gm could get ugly and it did. The score was closer than the game.  Last year left me sick to my stomach, in disbelief.  This year I'm just angry but accept the results. 

We've been talking about a change to this team since the bye and the GB game. They just didn't look the part. 

This gm reminded me of the 1st Jets gm , except with a more talented opponent.  Just got beat by a more physical team. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mantis said:

Blowout wins over Rams, Titans, and Steelers were fun.  A big win over KC and a come from behind win over Baltimore was fun.  That was all in the first 6 weeks.  After that was largely frustration.  

losses to jets and Minnesota; close wins over Browns, Lions, jets, Dolphins  were frustrating.  4 weeks ago we were up by 1 score against the bears with under 5:00 left to go in the game.  They were the worst team in the league and we struggled to beat them.    2 weeks ago we were losing to the patriots at halftime.  

We thought we were an elite team, but we couldn’t assert dominance over anyone after week 6.  So I’d say 2/3 of the season was frustrating.  

And how many times when that was pointed out were "fans" here told that the Bills won and that we were completely wrong in that assessment?  

Things were obvious to see and while we generally blamed it on coaching, most thought come the playoffs things would change and the coaches would figure it out.

Yesterday the coaches were embarrassed by Cincy.

9 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

***WARNING***  If you don't want to read a Chiefs fan then skip the post.  

1.  As long as Josh Allen is healthy, you do have a a chance to win a SB.  He's that kind of player.  

2. Last years loss was worse.  If you win last year in KC, you are hosting Cincy.  Cincy wasn't quite as good this year as last and Buffalo was better last year.  I'd say you likely win that AFCCG in Buffalo and go on to face a very very beatable Rams team in the SB.  (it's also painful that KC coudln't finish off the Bengals at home last year, missed oppertunity for us as well)  This year, injuries, bad weather, a guy dying on the field.....your players have got to be emotionally completely spent.  You guys must be emotionally exhausted as fans.  It was going to be tough to keep getting up for all this.  With the injuries and everything that happened, this loss sucks but at least understandable.

3. KC was all in LAST season, similar to the Bills.  KC used up the cap, kicked contracts down the road, trying to get one more with the core.  It didn't work and led to the Tyreek Hill trade and a big reset. KC got the cap right and didn't kick anymore Mahomes money down the road.  ....what you'll need to stay up at the top is get a couple really good drafts back to back.  It can be done.  KC had all 10 picks make the team, and 4 started all year and a couple others played a ton of snaps.  You'll need that kind of thing going on....and you'll end up this offseason parting with some guys you may or may not really want to part with.  Don't fret....you have the QB...

last....sorry you guys didn't win today.  I was looking forward,.....and have been looking forward to another KC - Bills   Allen Mahomes playoff game.  I know you all were too.  Surely more are coming.  Hopefully next year.  GO BILLS! (my favorite team when they aren't playing KC)

Good post.

I agree that as long as Allen is here and healthy, The Bills are going to win a bunch of games and make a bunch of playoff appearances. He's a franchise quarterback and the Bills have talent. They're due for a OL overhaul similar to what KC did, but they have talent.

My issue here long term is coaching. McDermott, Dorsey and Frasier continue to get schooled from a gameplanning and play design/ scheme perspective, and Buffalo really fell victim to offensive brain drain this year and in this game. It's the reason why offensive playcallers that can maximize QBs get the head coaching jobs now. McDermott is an A+ culture guy, but you'd never see Andy Reid put out this bad of a gameplan, especially on the offensive side. 

Buffalo is talented enough to win a bunch of regular season games anyway, but the goal is to get a Lombardi and there's a level that Buffalo hasn't reached yet.

This loss does not bother like last year's loss.  That game they had the victory in hand only to let it slip away.  Going into this game this team was battered physically and emotionally.  I was outwardly saying they were gong to win but in my gut I knew they were gong to lose.  The first drive for each team cemented the gut feeling.  Beane has to realize scrap heap salvage O linemen do not win championships.  Draft better OGs!  The defense can not play soft coverage like Frazier loves to do.  Bengals run a similar defense and covered the Bills receivers better.  Changes are coming.  Bills turnover around 25% of the roster so familiar names will depart.  Coaching staff has to be shook up.  Frazier has peaked and needs to move on.   Dorsey has the heat for his offense and game plans.  Draft and FA season will be interesting. 

Just now, Beast said:

13 seconds was right up there with music City and Wide aright.

Yesterday was a flat out ass kicking. The only thing that stung about yesterday was realizing how far we are away from the brass ring.

I don’t know how we can get there, given the financial and draft capital that the organisation has invested in these guys that are not tough enough to actually win big football games. The Bills got punched in the mouth by Joe Mixon and just turtled and called for their mommy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.