We are in HC purgatory

Ethan in Cleveland

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Ironically, we get our butts kicked by Cincinnati, who had to fire a VERY successful head coach to get where they are now.

Do we have another:

USATSI_8890815.jpg

I was just thinking, we have the modern Marv Lewis.  Good enough to win in the regular season, useless when it counts, but “he’s a nice guy and a great leader” 🤮.  Get me a winner.   

12 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

TONY DUNGY WON A $!$!$$@ SUPER BOWL, or did you miss that past of NFL history?

Anyone who thinks Sean Payton is better than McDermott and is trashing Tony Dungy are CLUELESS as to his record as a coach.

Yeah here's their records, Payton and McD about the same.  Other than the SB year never won more than 1 playoff game any season with one of the top QB's in the league.  The only thing Peyton was much better at was winning challenges which don't think you'd make HC change based on.

image.thumb.png.b95472f57045bb3ad935804fa6f6ebf3.png

image.thumb.png.4f2aba26bf96b9dd22ab059badc25393.png

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Marvin Lewis didn’t have Josh Allen and stephon diggs, what’s mcdermott’s excuse?

Chad OchoCinco statisticslly was every bit as good as Diggs. Or perhaps you forgot.

Also had a much better #2 in Houshmanzadeh. Perhaps you forgot that as well. 

Championship?

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

We are stuck and there is no way out. Pegula is not going to get rid of Beane and McDermott.  McDermott has done too much for the franchise and the city to be canned. So we will waste another year on Dungy 2.0 only to come up short again. We are now on three years wasted of the best QB play this team has ever had. And nothing to show for it. Next year will be four and the cap situation will only keep getting worse. 

This team needed a teacher and a father figure. Now they need a mercenary assassin. Give Josh Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh and Bills win the SuperBowl next year. 

Its not going to happen so we had just be prepared for another year of this crap. When McDermott says we will learn and grow from this I hope some reporter has the balls to say when do you stop learning and winning instead?

One thing I would like to clarify is McDermott is NOT Dungy 2.0 ... he's Marvin Lewis 2.0.

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Chad OchoCinco statisticslly was every bit as good as Diggs. Or perhaps you forgot.

Also had a much better #2 in Houshmanzadeh. Perhaps you forgot that as well. 

Championship?

It’s a bad comparison.  He’s not Marvin Lewis.  

McDermott should be on the hot seat starting next year. As CEO and guy who was responsible for building winning culture in Buffalo he has done good job. As HC have questioned some of his game day decisions but bigger issue is guys he has calling plays.

Would move on from Frazier and have McDermott call plays next season while promoting from within to handle the day to day. Almost have to give Dorsey a pass being that it was his first year and offense has put up similar numbers. Feel he is limited by this offensive line which has also hurt Allen’s growth. #1 objective in the offseason should be upgrade offensive line and develop running game.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Ironically, we get our butts kicked by Cincinnati, who had to fire a VERY successful head coach to get where they are now.

Do we have another:

USATSI_8890815.jpg

BINGO.  We have a coach who can eek out wins over teams with inferior talent (last week), but routinely get beaten by better teams.  

3 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

I'm so sick of people blaming Frazier, he was literally handpicked by Mcdermott to run HIS defense. It's HIS scheme,  HIS defense, Frazier just running it under HIS direction. A defensive head coach doesn't bring in a new defensive scheme lol... could you imagine Andy Reid firing the OC and saying he's going to bring in a different offensive scheme?

Frazier is calling the defense though, right? 

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Do you think the Eagles said this every year of Andy Reid's tenure there? What about his first 5 or 6 years in Kansas City? He is a HOF head coached that took over 20 years to win his first Super Bowl. Relax

Well, the Eagles won their first and only Super Bowl after sacking Reid, so…

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

Well, the Eagles won their first and only Super Bowl after sacking Reid, so…

When this thread came up last year I asked, what if McDermott is to Allen what Reeves was to Elway? 

Dan Reeves was very successful, had 8 winning seasons out of 11 as HC in Denver. Could never win the big game. 

Reeves fired his OC Mike Shannahan the year before he himself was sacked. The Broncos brought back Shannahan as HC the following season and would go on win two Super Bowls with Elway. 

4 hours ago, Motorin' said:

When this thread came up last year I asked, what if McDermott is to Allen what Reeves was to Elway? 

Dan Reeves was very successful, had 8 winning seasons out of 11 as HC in Denver. Could never win the big game. 

Reeves fired his OC Mike Shannahan the year before he himself was sacked. The Broncos brought back Shannahan as HC the following season and would go on win two Super Bowls with Elway. 

I don’t know what the answer is, but I know that if major changes are not made, we can expect a similar result.  

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

Reid was always seen as a QB whisperer.

As an offensive coach he found ways to get the most out of his QBs and offenses. After decades of finding ways he finally got a top QB to work with.

McDermott is supposed to be a defensive coach but his defenses always come up short when it matters and he has his own 1st and 2nd round picks all over the place.

Reid will also retire top 3 (at worst) in NFL history in head coaching wins. No comparison at all.

If we lost 13-10 or something like that with our defense playing amazing but the offense not quite being able to do enough then it would be harder to criticize McDermott.

Edited by TheFunPolice

17 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Reeves fired his OC Mike Shannahan the year before he himself was sacked. The Broncos brought back Shannahan as HC the following season

I see what you're getting at here. But Daboll is not available. So ... Rick Dennison or Nate Hackett? :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, I think you're right. And I'd be on the phone with Greg Roman tomorrow.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.