We are in HC purgatory

Ethan in Cleveland

9 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I didn't say Josh would be our QB all 20 years 😂

‘so we will just draft another franchise QB in the first round 10 years from now and win it all?  The year Allen was drafted, 4 other first round QBs went. 3 of them are already on multiple teams. 

mcDermott is not learning from his mistakes in big games. Defensive timeouts in back to back playoff weeks should be fireable offenses. So should playing your CB 10 yards off on 3rd and 4. It’s similar to guarding the sidelines in 13 seconds when KC had 2 timeouts. 

your argument flat out fails. Allen is nearly on the same level as Mahomes. On paper the Bills have the best D of all the AFC teams in playoffs. Yet they got boat raced.  Again. McDermott has the same level of tools (minus Kelce) to work with as Reid does. 

• Like (+1) 2

The problem is primarily the trenches, not the coaching or the GM. Allen needs more help and our OL/DL just aren't good enough. Let Poyer and Edmunds walk. Trade Oliver. Get after the best OL FA's on the market. We have numerous holes to fill. Oliver should be traded for draft capital. The Bengals OL was so banged up and he didn't even get 1 tackle. I'm more disappointed in him than I am with Brown and Saffold.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Gotta waste a couple more years first, and even then if it's in the playoffs he isn't going anywhere.

Remember 17 years? That'll always be the answer.

We got lucky to hit on Allen. That's about it. 

I said this last year after the 13 seconds game, and even the year before that!  The day WILL COME when Pegula will have to ask if McD is good enough.  It wasn't going to come 2 years ago, not last year, and it won't come THIS year either....but it will come.

I.E., if the SB doesn't materialize, Pegula will have to decide if what McD brings to the franchise is good enough, or if he wants to win it all.  

Winning franchises sometimes fire head coaches (in all sports) after WINNING SEASONS, if goals aren't met.

I don't think making it to the playoffs consistently will be enough, indefinitely.

Of course (as I have said for years now) if McD DOES put it together and wins a SB before he is fired, he'll here forever. And I mean for his entire career.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Blazman11 said:

‘so we will just draft another franchise QB in the first round 10 years from now and win it all?  The year Allen was drafted, 4 other first round QBs went. 3 of them are already on multiple teams. 

mcDermott is not learning from his mistakes in big games. Defensive timeouts in back to back playoff weeks should be fireable offenses. So should playing your CB 10 yards off on 3rd and 4. It’s similar to guarding the sidelines in 13 seconds when KC had 2 timeouts. 

your argument flat out fails. Allen is nearly on the same level as Mahomes. On paper the Bills have the best D of all the AFC teams in playoffs. Yet they got boat raced.  Again. McDermott has the same level of tools (minus Kelce) to work with as Reid does. 

My argument does not fail in any way shape or form. The bottom line is its been 6 years with McDermott. It took a first ballot HOF coach over 20 years to win his first Super Bowl with multiple successful years prior. My argument is very much alive and kicking

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Close counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and back seats.  Payton had a first ballot HOFer and won 1 SuperBowl.  So please just stop.

McD has decisions to make this offseason as does Beane.  They need to make unemotional decisions whether Frazier or Dorsey come back.  They need to overhaul the lines.

They certainly shouldn't need to overhaul the D line.  They have put an awful lot of draft capital into that thing!  And it's terrible....

Lots of draft misses all over the roster.  It's the one knock on Beane I can think of.

Oh, the Knox deal was a mistake too.

37 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

We are stuck and there is no way out. Pegula is not going to get rid of Beane and McDermott.  McDermott has done too much for the franchise and the city to be canned. So we will waste another year on Dungy 2.0 only to come up short again. We are now on three years wasted of the best QB play this team has ever had. And nothing to show for it. Next year will be four and the cap situation will only keep getting worse. 

This team needed a teacher and a father figure. Now they need a mercenary assassin. Give Josh Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh and Bills win the SuperBowl next year. 

Its not going to happen so we had just be prepared for another year of this crap. When McDermott says we will learn and grow from this I hope some reporter has the balls to say when do you stop learning and winning instead?

I’m inclined to agree with you, but winning a SB is extremely hard even if everything is going completely right. There is always a lot of luck involved. Dan Marino had one of the winningest coaches of all time and still never retired with one. I don’t think the book is closed on McDermott, but that guy had to deal w/ more adversity that I can remember. I do think it’s absolutely inexcusable to come out looking that way against Cinci. It was a perfect storm of poor coaching, player execution, and officiating. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

My argument does not fail in any way shape or form. The bottom line is its been 6 years with McDermott. It took a first ballot HOF coach over 20 years to win his first Super Bowl with multiple successful years prior. My argument is very much alive and kicking

Got it. So what you are saying is you are perfectly happy waiting until 2037 for a chance to win the Super Bowl. 

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

They certainly shouldn't need to overhaul the D line.  They have put an awful lot of draft capital into that thing!  And it's terrible....

Lots of draft misses all over the roster.  It's the one knock on Beane I can think of.

Oh, the Knox deal was a mistake too.

Knox to me was not but unlike other teams we don’t scheme for him.  I question if the D linemen are scheme vs. talent but today they simply did not match up physically.

1 minute ago, Blazman11 said:

Got it. So what you are saying is you are perfectly happy waiting until 2037 for a chance to win the Super Bowl. 

If you were a Chiefs fan, would you have fired Reid after his 6th season? Because he won the Super Bowl in his 7th and went to another in his 8th

Edited by Buffalo03

14 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Yes. This is exactly where I’m at. McD has earned the right to this.

It's a very highly unlikely scenario and ultimatum in the first place, so I don' t see that happening.

If it were to somehow ever happen, I don't see McD as the type of guy willing to throw them under the bus to save his skin.

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

If you were a Chiefs fan, would you have fired Reid after his 6th season? Because he won the Super Bowl in his 7th

Yes I would. With Hall and Kelce. Absolutely. But you keep changing your argument. Reid’s 6th season was 14 years ago. Your argument is it takes a coach 20 years on the job to win it all. 

‘McDermott has done some awesome things. He was absolutely the right coach at the time he was hired. These guys supposedly put in 80 hour weeks during the season. McDermott has been in football for a very long time. The time for him to learn should’ve ended after the AFC Championship loss. And while he’s improved in many areas he still comes up woefully short in game planning and execution during the playoffs.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.