Beane’s mediocre draft record

Shanahan's Horseshoe

On 1/22/2023 at 7:22 PM, Mynamemike said:

Call me crazy but I could see Pegula firing Beane and keeping McDermott.  Sean was here before Brandon and Beane hasn’t been all that great with the picks he’s used on the defensive side of the ball. We went all in with the Von contract and that is gonna hurt us next year.  

Beane and Frazier out.  Dorsey stays imo especially if we lose Joe Brady.  McDermott is too close and has done too much for Terry to can him, for better or for worse.

Another Mike here ... (real name) 

I think this is a reasonable hypothesis. The real systemic problem I am beginning to think is Brandon Beane's poor drafting.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Chiefs got a more productive and faster RB in the 7th round than we got in the second round.  That is how teams get better,  hitting on late picks

I think that is more to do with our coaches and o line.  Our coaches dont seem to like to develop rookies and put them on the field.  Our offense doesnt like to run the ball much so how would one develop much anyhow.  I dont think Dorsey even knows how to use players like that.  Our O line is terrible so the backs dont get the same holes other teams get.  If a team like the Jets drafted Cook, I bet he would have looked like a stud on that team.

2 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Another Mike here ... (real name) 

I think this is a reasonable hypothesis. The real systemic problem I am beginning to think is Brandon Beane's poor drafting.

I just like that your screen name currently shows you have 180 posts, or the year Marcus Aurelius died.  

If anything, their 1st round picks indicate that their board is weighted toward defense with 5 1sts out of 7 used there.  That strikes me more as a McD influence than the GM.  

I'll go back to being stoic now. :thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yep - the problem is the front office more than coaching.  The drafts have been bad; incredibly, pro personnel scouting has been even worse.  ONE value free agent (DaQuan Jones) in Beane’s entire tenure.

ONE.

They had RT Daryl Williams on a 1 year deal for 2020...whom they then re-signed and promptly stopped playing hard.  But yeah...not much talent for a lot of big UFA money over their tenure.

But it's the price you pay when the the drafting doesn't result in many value types there either.  For all their "wizardry" McBeane have drafted (to date) in 6 years one decent OL, 1 TE, and 1 WR3 (Davis).  But sure spent a lot of picks on RB, DL, DB...many of whom are OK, but not the money positions or not solid starters.  I'd say aside from Milano and Taron Johnson they've gotten nothing in the way of good starters from Round 3 and beyond.  

Lot of work to do.  

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yep - the problem is the front office more than coaching.  The drafts have been bad; incredibly, pro personnel scouting has been even worse.  ONE value free agent (DaQuan Jones) in Beane’s entire tenure.

ONE.

Quinton Spain was good during his one season here, I don't think John Brown was over paid. I could continue but am sure you'd dispute it. 

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Quinton Spain was good during his one season here, I don't think John Brown was over paid. I could continue but am sure you'd dispute it. 

Won't speak for others but yea, I'd add those two and Williams and Beas. Williams and Spain went south after extensions were signed  

On 1/22/2023 at 10:10 PM, Best Williams Available said:

Everyone plays their rookies except McD. Then Beane will sign a geezer off the street to take a rookies spot to “learn under”. Babying these players for 3 years to earn trust in them forces you to drag their assessment out, when all you had to do was put them in games and assess their development from the beginning.

Totally agree.  

The DL draft picks bother me due to the "process".  If you are going to rotate your DLine as much as we do, why would we spend high draft picks on rotational players.  Part time players with picks in the first 2 rounds.

And, if you look at AJ and Boogie...they have been asked to make major physical and style changes.  They are 2 & 3 years into a 4 year contract, haven't played much and we don't know what we have.  

It is a flawed approach where the system does not set up well with the player acquisition.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

ONE.

Also, teams that have drafted fewer WRs since 2018 in the first 3 rounds than the Bills? NONE. San Fran has drafted 5 WRs in the first 3 rounds since 2018. The Bills have drafted 5 DL since 2018 in the first 3 rounds. Teams that have drafted more? NONE.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/22/2023 at 10:50 PM, Niagara Dude said:

Bernard was a total waste,  another high motor no size or speed player who will but cut in 2years. Had he drafted Metcalf or Brown they would not have had to trade for Diggs and could have drafted Jefferson. Everyone hails him as genius but he has blown many picks and it has cost us.

Wow. Metcalf and Jefferson. Beane is a bum. 

10 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I just like that your screen name currently shows you have 180 posts, or the year Marcus Aurelius died.  

If anything, their 1st round picks indicate that their board is weighted toward defense with 5 1sts out of 7 used there.  That strikes me more as a McD influence than the GM.  

I'll go back to being stoic now. :thumbsup:

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Also, teams that have drafted fewer WRs since 2018 in the first 3 rounds than the Bills? NONE. San Fran has drafted 5 WRs in the first 3 rounds since 2018. The Bills have drafted 5 DL since 2018 in the first 3 rounds. Teams that have drafted more? NONE.

Wow. Worse than you think it is.  😱

This post is such an eye opener, it deserves to be its own thread and pinned right through the draft.  

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

It's pretty mental when you think about it. Beane has failed Josh to my eyes.

The Bills have the rarest and most precious asset in today’s NFL: A certified franchise quarterback, a guy who can win you games when everything else is going wrong.   Beane of course deserves credit for drafting Josh Allen (and he probably would have been fired by now if he had not) but from that day forward, he and McDermott should be judged by one standard: How well have they leveraged this most precious asset?

Unfortunately, the answer is “poorly”.  Instead of loading up the offense to take advantage of JA, they have used most of their premium picks (and FA $) on a defense that still can’t slow down good offenses.  The real bottom line is this: With Mahomes, the Chiefs have won a Super Bowl and reached the AFCC every year. The Bengals with two years of prime Burrow have reached the Super Bowl and at least the AFCC game this year.  With three years of prime JA, we’ve reached one AFCC in which we were blown out.  That represents a huge failure by the FO and the HC.  How are these same guys going to turn that around?  I have no idea…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Manther said:

Totally agree.  

The DL draft picks bother me due to the "process".  If you are going to rotate your DLine as much as we do, why would we spend high draft picks on rotational players.  Part time players with picks in the first 2 rounds.

And, if you look at AJ and Boogie...they have been asked to make major physical and style changes.  They are 2 & 3 years into a 4 year contract, haven't played much and we don't know what we have.  

It is a flawed approach where the system does not set up well with the player acquisition.

Dude look at Elam. Round 1 pick from SEC school and “has to earn it”, while Cincy put a 2nd round Cam Taylor Britt starting the whole year and this rookie from crappy Nebraska (I live here) shut down Big Game Gabe Davis. This frustrates me to no end.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mannc said:

The Bills have the rarest and most precious asset in today’s NFL: A certified franchise quarterback, a guy who can win you games when everything else is going wrong.   Beane of course deserves credit for drafting Josh Allen (and he probably would have been fired by now if he had not) but from that day forward, he and McDermott should be judged by one standard: How well have they leveraged this most precious asset?

Unfortunately, the answer is “poorly”.  Instead of loading up the offense to take advantage of JA, they have used most of their premium picks (and FA $) on a defense that still can’t slow down good offenses.  The real bottom line is this: With Mahomes, the Chiefs have won a Super Bowl and reached the AFCC every year. The Bengals with two years of prime Burrow have reached the Super Bowl and at least the AFCC game this year.  With three years of prime JA, we’ve reached one AFCC in which we were blown out.  That represents a huge failure by the FO and the HC.  How are these same guys going to turn that around?  I have no idea…

Its just like I asked in another thread, How many years can one go without making the SB with Josh Allen as your QB and not get fired?   The media is calling for it now.

Beane hit on the QB, which buys you 5-7 years. 

Sadly, all the draft assets of any significance seem to go to defense, and this year I expect the same. Gotta replace Poyer, and you ALWAYS need a 1st or 2nd rounder on the DL who can stand there and get manhandled by the OL. 

I expect CB/S and DL in the first 2 picks. Those of you who aren't Edmunds fans better PRAY he gets re-signed or there is ZERO chance of a WR until at least round 3, because they'll add LB to the mix for rounds 1 and 2. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

Beane has benefited from the Allen pick and Diggs trade. His off-season acquisitions have been just OK. This off season is crucial. KC bounced back from losing Hill and the loss of Edwards-Helaire by adding 2 dynamic rbs that give them an explosive run game. They added JuJu. Marquez Scantling and picked up Toney midseason to arguably make them better at receiver. We need a creative manipulation to improve this roster amidst cap issues which were self inflicted wounds. The Bills fans don’t need reasons why improvement can’t happen. They need to maximize Josh’s prime. If Beane can’t do it, next off-season should be directed by someone else. Any team with a HOF QB has a window to get a championship.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.